Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Dragmaster IV dragster

Dyno Davo

Yeah, very interesting! This is really cool Front Engine Dragster. Great job with the chassis build, it looks so good. Can't wait to see more, and I'm sure, blown Small Block would be really good looking engine in it.

Ooooh, this looks like its going to be good. Great work so far. What kit(s) will you be using to be supply the engine and drivetrain components as well as wheels and tires? I'm all eyes for this one!!

Hi Brad, thinking of using the small block from the old 55 Nomad kit, got a quick change from a Minicraft kit, all the other drive line bits will be parts box or scratch built. The back tires are my that I cast M&H piecrust slicks, not sure on the rims yet and the front wires will be scratch built.

Well made some progress over last week. Got the 31 Ford steering box mounted and installed the steering shaft. Machined up a bearing mount for the steering shaft bracket. Also installed the seat mesh and head restraint mesh. Used photo etch brass with solder for the frames. Added the push bar at the rear. Also added the mount for the forward/reverse lever and brake lever.

DSCF2409.jpg

DSCF2408.jpg

DSCF2407.jpg

DSCF2406.jpg

DSCF2402.jpg

DSCF2404.jpg

Hi guys, appreciate the encouraging audience. As promised here are some more progress shots.

Gas pedal and linkage basics trial fit

DSCF2410.jpg

Brake pedal and master cylinder supports installed

DSCF2412.jpg

Brake master cylinder made.

DSCF2411.jpg

Brake and reverser levers in place and the steering wheel boss

DSCF2415.jpg

Pedals all built and brake cylinder

DSCF2416.jpg

The bare bones Chev small block from the 55 Nomad kit needs lots of work

DSCF2418.jpg

Quick change and brake backing plates test fit

DSCF2419.jpg

DSCF2420.jpg

Starting to add some detail to the engine block, BSI thick glue is added to "mold" the added items in

DSCF2422.jpg

Resin cast up some better looking heads and finned valve covers from the Lindberg Bull Horn kit

DSCF2425.jpg

Edited by Dyno Davo

Hi Bob, no front mount on this digger, planning on the usual top mount with old Hilborn barn door injection setup

Wasn't sure if you were copying the Mooneyes dragster because of the mesh.

By the way I just picked up a copy of drag racing action the march 2012 issue and on pages 70 to 75 are the Robinson dragster recreation. Lots of good reference shots.

bobthehobbyguy

Great work,,,just wondering how you got the radius's at the back of the frame tubes? Look forward to seeing it as it comes along.

Hi Scott, to achieve the radius, which coincidently is the same for all three curves I machined up a thick washer to the correct inside diameter of the curve required. I screwed this to a piece wood and heated the sprue and gently bent it around the washer and let it cool to set in position. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, not long back from my trip and thought I'd launch straight into more on this build. Cast the M&H piecrust slicks and sorted out the rear wheels. The resin centers were machined down and set back into the rim of the 5 hole mag that comes in most Revell dragster kits. Got the bell-housing made and cut down a gearbox to mod up as a reverser. The basic motor is now mounted and I sourced a steering wheel from my parts box. Starting on the front axle and torsion rods, hoping to get the front end finished this coming week. The front wheels are only for setup, I'll be making my own wires.

DSCF2426.jpg

DSCF2473.jpg

DSCF2474.jpg

DSCF2475.jpg

DSCF2476.jpg

DSCF2477.jpg

DSCF2478.jpg