Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage Aurora Track

vintagestang

I have been toying around with my aunts 1975 Aurora Meadowbrook Raceway slot car track made for Sears. I added connectors to the controller wires and wrapped them in tape. At certain points in the track the cars will jerk along or even stop but if I pick up the rear tires and spin them and put the car back down it will work sometimes. What is wrong? All the parts on the cars are original. Also how can I keep the metal strips in the track from corroding? The pick up shoes are original and have notches cut into them could I fix that by putting solder in the notches? The cars are a butterscotch colored Bronco and a white and green Porche I think.

My best guess is that the metal conductor strips in the track have built up an oxide film which is perfectly normal. Get a hard ink eraser or similar fine abrasive tool (Aurora used to sell a "track cleaner" which was just a hard eraser) and use it to lightly polish the surface of the conductors. That should be done fairly often - maybe once a week or so.

Also, if the notches from wear in the shoes have gotten too deep the contact is going to be poor. Maybe that can be repaired with solder but it will probably wear down pretty fast. Replacement shoes are recommended.

Edited by mr moto