Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg/Pyro '48 Lincoln

RickRollerLT1

I'ves heard about this kit, saying what a POC it was. But some built-ups i've seen of this here indicate this kit look pretty detailed, but may be a major pain to put together.

I saw one at a show for $7 but I didn't know if it was a good kit or not.

Is this kit worth getting? even to do som crazy custom with a ford SVT 5.0 motor?

I have one. It will take work. It is a multi-piece body that assembles around the chassis/interior.

Not sure how you can assemble it separately to paint it nicely.

The grill also looks a little better from the Inside.

I want to build mine as the 46 Indy Pace car!

It's a pretty basic model, not the most accurate you'll ever see. But it can be built into a very nice model... it just takes a bit of TLC. One of our former members posted up some photos of his version of this kit a while back and it was a showstopper!

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26396&st=0&p=248891&hl=+lindberg%20+'48%20+lincoln&fromsearch=1&#entry248891

I'd say that you can't really lose for 7 bucks... ;)

I just did one. No where near as nice as the built one referred to above. That's rediculous! I give that man a ton of credit for his patience with that one! Best way to do one of these is to assemble the 11 body parts together first, mocked up on the chassis. It's the only way to fit everything right, make sure everything is plumb, and filled. It came out ok for what it is. Here's a couple of pics.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113970275234479884863/48LincolnKitBuilt?authkey=Gv1sRgCJmZ6JHUzODRCw#5699421628215974338

• 2 months later...

Craig, seriously, that puppy is really a 12 cylinder . It was fed with a Stromberg two barrel and yes , a decent one , hey thats a piece of music to my ears at least . I enjoy listening to DECENT running Ford Flat heads , both stock and modified as I still work on them . Ed Shaver

I would.just take that flathead and dress it up a bit. Move the alternator/generator to side,of the engine, and make some nice headers. Maybe modify some audurn heads to fit. Um ad like 4-6 stromburg carbs or a period corect blower

First order of business with this kit... assemble the body into one piece. Then you can pretty much trashcan the remainder. B)

ZZ002-vi.jpg

This one's (going to be) based on a '48 I saw in a rat rod mag years ago- this has a Revell '48 Ford chassis, floor, and firewall, and it might end up 'downgraded' with the Ford Flathead V8 as well, because I don't want to raid any of my Monogram '41s for the proper V12.

First order of business with this kit... assemble the body into one piece. Then you can pretty much trashcan the remainder. B)

ZZ002-vi.jpg

This one's (going to be) based on a '48 I saw in a rat rod mag years ago- this has a Revell '48 Ford chassis, floor, and firewall, and it might end up 'downgraded' with the Ford Flathead V8 as well, because I don't want to raid any of my Monogram '41s for the proper V12.

If I can find it easily, I have a V-12 you can have. When I find it I'll give you a bump so you can give an address. I was going to try the "graft a couple of V-8 heads together" deal, but decided to go the Viper V-10 route instead.

• 1 year later...

hello,,,yes kit is a CHALLENGE to assemble,,,,the right idea is to get the body together for paint,,,,i am doing one as a street rod,, "430" lincoln motor out of old amt kit,,,but with a single 4 barrel carb,,nice cruiser,,stripped chrome of grille to use as front connection for fenders,,have got chassis cut up for engine swap,and made up new spring mount in front,,,,,in the works,,,sorry no pictures,,,,,

Back in the Fifties these cars often had Cadillac or Olds V-8s transplanted when the V-12 gave up the ghost, so that kind of swap would be period correct, at least.

You could also get some speed equipment; this barn-find '42 had a two-carb manifold and dual exhaust:

post-12159-0-12403300-1380668700_thumb.jpost-12159-0-31047800-1380668754_thumb.jpost-12159-0-37035900-1380668798_thumb.jpost-12159-0-87087900-1380668835_thumb.j

(These were taken at the Jack Palance estate auction in Tehachapi, CA back in 2007. I really wanted my boss to buy the car - it only went for about $12k - but he already had a '47 coupe, so he bought Jack's '52 Silver Wraith instead. :rolleyes: Converting the kit to a '42 might be a way to improve it by getting rid of that awful grille.)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Back in the Fifties these cars often had Cadillac or Olds V-8s transplanted when the V-12 gave up the ghost, so that kind of swap would be period correct, at least.

You could also get some speed equipment; this barn-find '42 had a two-carb manifold and dual exhaust:

Hummm....if that's the case, then maybe you can use the V-8 from the recent Revell '50 Olds...could be interesting.

• 6 years later...

Thanks, Casey.

Interesting writeup.

One thing I noticed though, is that everyone wants to paint the assembled body as one piece. From the research I did when I was given this kit a few years ago, on the real car the fenders are bolted on with some sort of felt-like weatherstripping. So the fenders would have actually been painted separately. Not sure how to represent the weatherstripping in the model, maybe just a line of black paint or ink. I am planning on painting the body in pieces and assembling it. Once I get enough courage to start it. Definitely not for the faint of heart. I am wanting to send the built kit to the friend who sent it to me. So it needs to be better than my normal builds.

Russ