Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Lotus-Ford

This is my version of Dan Gurney's Lotus 29 Ford powered car that he drove to a 7th place finish in the '63 Indy race. Its one of 3 cars from the old AMT Indy Combo kit. This is basically box-stock with the exception of ignition wires, aluminum intakes, paint and new decals from Indycals. Thanks for looking.

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

Nice work, Is that out of the old AMT Indy winners kit that had three models in it? I bought that kit a long time ago and still have not finished them.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Yes, that is the old AMT Indy kit. I've done the Roadster (see one of the threads below). The McLaren is next. They go together pretty well. Rubber tires would be nice but the plastic ones are ok if you clean them up and scuff them with 0000 steel wool. New decals from Indycals are almost a necessity as well. The old decals in 2 of these kits I've seen have lost a lot of their original colour.

Well done Bill!

The old Indy cars are big favorites of mine since I bult them all as a kid.

Here's his team mate Jim Clark's Lotus from the same race.....

DSC02070-vi.jpg

and Clark's Lotus as seen during practice for the "64 race.....

DSC02072-vi.jpg

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Daryl: You have a nice collection of Lotus's there! I will be building Clark's companion to the Gurney car later this year. I also have the Lotus 38 to do as Clark's '65 winner.

Hey Bill, and everyone else too....

I can make copies of the reference articles in Motor Racing Replica News and send them out to anyone who would like to have them. Just let me know through a PM.......

Hey Bill, and everyone else too....

I can make copies of the reference articles in Motor Racing Replica News and send them out to anyone who would like to have them. Just let me know through a PM.......

Thanks for the offer Daryl. I've e-mailed you with my address.

• 3 weeks later...