Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's with the Gremlin?

Sorry, guys, but I have to ask...

Why is everyone so enthusiastic about the Gremlin, and a re-released kit of it? Does this car have a special place in your hearts for some reason? I have to say, speaking as someone from the other side of the pond, it looks like a car with all the charisma of an Austin Allegro or Morris Marina: a lot of my parents friends may have had one when I was a kid, but I wouldn't care if I never saw one again, and I certainly wouldn't give house room to a model of one!

Please enlighten a confused Brit...

bestest,

M.

What's with the '57 Chevy? Or the first gen Camaro? Or any other car I personally don't care for?

It's a kit of a unique subject that hasn't been reissued in a very long time. A breath of fresh air after years of nothing but endless reissues of Muscle cars and '50's/'60's car kits. THAT's where the enthusiasm is coming from. B)

And what's wrong with a Morris Marina... other than the fact they're piano magnets? :lol:

Seems to be more nostalgia and just the fact its something different- an odd orphan from a dark period of American automobiles and a kit that hadnt been easily available for many years

Probably more interest in the kit now than when it was first released

I think many see it as the "Anti- '32 Ford, '57 Chevy, etc." as well

Matt, I kind of agree with you . Gremlins were , well, "Cult cars ". American Motors was scrapping the market trying to do what they could with what they had in a market that they thought wanted a cheap reliable economy car with no frills. At the time Ford had given us the Maverick, actually a rebodied Falcon . Chevrolet would give us the Vega . I dunno, I was driving a 1970 Ford van then . I wanted a 67 Chevrolet Impala , go figgure .............. Ed Shaver

One other thing that might be a factor- quite a few of the guys buying this kit weren't around when they were new. Guys like me in the under-30 (for three more months, anyway) crowd. For us, the 'dork car' factor they had when they were new cars is lost, and we see the car without that bias.

Who never wanted to get a real Gremlin,Maverick,Falcon,Vega and squeeze a big bad engine into one??? I have always been a 60s,mid 70s body style guy...but for me the Gremlin gives me an opportunity to build my late uncles car(the first car I ever drove too). Its nice to have something besides muscle cars to build and in your collection....not every car on the streets are all muscle cars most are more mundane.

i wasnt born till after AMC was already dying if not dead already. that being said, i fell in love with that car the first time i saw it. it was the early 90's and cars were already looking the same as each other and then i saw the gremlin. i instantly fell in love with that car. it was the oddest thing i had ever seen and i loved it then. still do.

Ok I have to admit, that I love Gremlins. Yes they were shoddy in quality, started rusting on the assembly line, and were't exactly fast, (come to think of it, as a Brit you should be right at home in one of these :P ) , but they were distinctive, looked sportier than the vegas, pintos and other small cars Detroit was pumping out in the mid-seventies. As a model kit there are many things you can do with one, you can build a hot rod, a drag car or even a custom, and best of all styrene doesn't rust!

Matt, American's are kinda weird when it comes to their cars. We sometimes tend to "Humanize" them. We'll reffer to them as"She's" an Girls'll reffer to them as "He's". We tend to do ALOT in our cars. Live in them. start families in them, and MISS them when they are no longer ours. Cars are a PART of the American way of life. WE may have INVENTED "HotRods" but the rest of the world sure picked up on our GREAT idea PRETTY GOOD!!!!! :lol::D:);)^_^

Huh? i know you were there Ed, but i get the impression from your statements above that maybe you really werent :rolleyes:

8 years of production and 600k+ cars built. cult car? maybe now, but it's arguable that the Pacer may have even more of a "cult" following than the Gremlin.

You know what they say, "If you remember the '70s, you weren't there." It's true that the Gremlin looked like any other AMC car with the back end cut off, but the Pacer was one of the strangest car designs ever.

Personally, I want one mainly to build a replica of my brother's friend's Gremlin. He had a '70s style "sleeper" that he had built. He bought it with a blown engine and swapped in a built 360 or 401 (can't remember exactly) with a 4 speed. Of course, it had the obligitory set of Cragar wheels with tens and M50's on the rear. No one took it seriously because it was a Gremlin,but that little car was fast for the time and surprised a lot of people around here.

Sorry, guys, but I have to ask...

Why is everyone so enthusiastic about the Gremlin, and a re-released kit of it? Does this car have a special place in your hearts for some reason? I have to say, speaking as someone from the other side of the pond, it looks like a car with all the charisma of an Austin Allegro or Morris Marina: a lot of my parents friends may have had one when I was a kid, but I wouldn't care if I never saw one again, and I certainly wouldn't give house room to a model of one!

Please enlighten a confused Brit...

bestest,

M.

The Gremlin most certainly has a special place in my heart, so does the Allegro and Marina. So much in fact, that I do own an Allegro and a Marina. I also wouldn't hesitate for a second, if a real Gremlin came up for sale.

One man's meat is another man's poison I guess.

10 years ago when i lived down in indianapolis, my daily driver was a blue Levi edition gremlin with 6cld. stick, i loved that car, i had it for 2 years and my girfreind at the time now my wife wanted a newer car so we sold it and bought a 1991 cavalier Z24, nice car but not like the gremlin. I would love to own another gremlin, very easy car to work on. So yeh iam glad they brought it back out instead of another 57 chevy or a 32 ford.