Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy Van and Race Car Trailer

Starting in on a kit I have had laying around for ages. I am participating in a GB on another forum where I am building this kit along with the Jungle Jim Vega.

The van and trailer will be painted and decaled in JJ colors to match the race car. I realize the JJ used a ramp truck to transport his Funny cars around but I thought this would look cool.

First step as usual, a bath to get the parts nice and clean.

DSCN0652.jpg

DSCN0650.jpg

DSCN0651.jpg

Interesting to note, there is a small slip of paper inside the plastic bag saying "Made in Denmark". Considering this is a Revell kit.

Rob

The slip of paper mentions a specific part number. IIRC that paper was in a bag that was only the trailer (I can't remember and mine is all out of the bags now). Perhaps the trailer is a Revell Germany kit?

Edit: The '857250' section of the part number includes the kit number '7250'; perhaps the whole thing was put out by Revell Germany for some reason...

Edited by kataranga

The slip of paper mentions a specific part number. IIRC that paper was in a bag that was only the trailer (I can't remember and mine is all out of the bags now). Perhaps the trailer is a Revell Germany kit?

Edit: The '857250' section of the part number includes the kit number '7250'; perhaps the whole thing was put out by Revell Germany for some reason...

You are right, the tag is in the bag with the trailer. Having a closer look at the box it says in very small printing that the trailer was made in Denmark and the truck is made in the USA.

Oh Rob! This is a kit i am searching a long time....so i will take a special look over your shoulder.

Hi Dominik,

It is a cool kit. I think I got this one when it was released in 1996. I remember grabbing it the minute I saw it and had big plans for it back then. I wouldn't be surprised if we see it again one day.

section8165.jpg

i built that kit awhile back so i'd have something to haul around a variety of racecars. it goes together nicely with careful clean-up and assembly. on the trailer the ramps are supposed to fit through some slots in the rear taillight panel for storage, if you open the slots/holes up that works quite nicely. the "made in Denmark" thing is just an example of Revell's outsourcing of the molding of the kits, it's not just to China.

Hi Dave, I remember seeing this a few weeks ago on here. I think you nailed the look and color of the van. I had a neighbour that had one almost identical to your model.

Thanks for the tip on the trailer.

Rob

Well, the van is going to be on store shelves in less than a month at least. :)

Are there any interior panels or pieces included for the cargo area?

No, very basic interior for the front seats. It has a cutout for a glass window/vent on the roof but nothing else.

section8165.jpg

i built that kit awhile back so i'd have something to haul around a variety of racecars. it goes together nicely with careful clean-up and assembly. on the trailer the ramps are supposed to fit through some slots in the rear taillight panel for storage, if you open the slots/holes up that works quite nicely. the "made in Denmark" thing is just an example of Revell's outsourcing of the molding of the kits, it's not just to China.

Nice build. I like this model kit. And bought quite a few of them during the last release.

Only built one, stashed the rest away. I really only wanted it for the trailer.

The one I built turned out great, By the way, they need mirrors............

000_1073.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A long overdue update on this little project.

The trailer is just about complete. It is painted with Tamiya Mica Blue with gold rims. The rims were sprayed with Tamiya Gold and then clear coated to give them a little gloss. I'll be putting the Jungle Jim decals on the trailer shortly.

The van has been built pretty much box stock so far except for the wheels and tires. I used M&H drag slicks on the back which will be mounted to a set of centerline rims from the parts box. The front tires are from the kit with centerline wheels from the parts box as well. The centerlines should give a 70s look and feel. I kinda wish I had opened up the hood as the engine will be completely hidden once everything is buttoned up. Maybe when this kit comes out again I'll do another one with some additional surgery.

102_2511.jpg

102_2510.jpg

Thanks for looking

Rob

Edited by Rob McKee

section8165.jpg

Great looking van and trailer Dave! Rob yours is coming along nicely! Can't wait to see more! I have this kit, I've already built the trailer to go behind a duallie. Hope to get to the van soon.