Model Cars Magazine Forum

Quick review and progress report: Revell 2006 Z06 Corvette

ismaelg

DSCF2404.JPG

Hello,

It's past midnight here so it is official: The Revell 2006 Z06 kit is out!

Here is my ultra quick review of it at a first glance:

Body looks great. Interior and chassis are identical to the coupe kit. The kit is the same coupe kit with added parts for the Z06. It means it has 2 steering wheels, 2 sets of exhaust manifolds, 2 sets of wheels!!! 2 3rd brake lights, 2 sets of brakes, 2 sets of engine covers, 2 sets of fog lights, extra roof panel, 2 exhaust systems and 2 oil pans. No wonder I found it heavy.

Pros: The body looks great, many extra parts updated. Beautiful brakes. Crisp moldings.

Cons: Engine compartment identical to coupe so; missing dry sump tank, which is prominent in the car. (No big deal) Grille molded in (No big deal), I suppose that since it is the same coupe's chassis, the wheel alignment problem still exists (again, no big deal), tires are the same as the coupe.

Overall: This kit is a winner. Can't wait to build it... more than once...

Here is a pic of the new parts. Everything else is identical to the coupe kit.

DSCF2407.JPG

Ohh, I already started it :D

The molded grille was no match for a dremel a #11 blade and a few minutes. If you are careful, you can retain the 3 small (fragile) vertical bars.

DSCF2417.JPG

DSCF2418.JPG

I'm leaving tomorrow for a week out of the country, but I'm satisfied that I have started it :D

Stay tuned...

Thanks,

How many of these kits do you have?

He is the self-proclaimed "Corvette Guy" (with a few choice diversions into Ferraridome) so he probably has every Corvette kit known to mankind in multiples.

As for the Z06; who knows? The kit was just was released officially today, but Revell kits often get out ahead of time. Glad to see early pics of it, I'll have to get one eventually; it's not like hobby shops around here will get it for awhile :roll:

Wow!

That's the version I want to build!

I was hoping upon hope that somehow Revell would have slipped in the transparent roof, even though the 1:1 Z06 has a fixed roof (I wanted to build the "standard" 'Vette with that roof). :mrgreen:

The body mods look dead on accurate and it's nice the extra parts are included.

Of course I may have to go the "Obsessive" route with this one and open the doors, hatch, etc.......... :lol:

he probably has every Corvette kit known to mankind in multiples.

:D Not really. I know somebody that does, but not me. Actually my stash is less than 100, which is nothing compared to what I've seen. About 50 or so Corvettes, about 20 aircraft, about 10 Ferraris and a few other miscellaneous ( A Porsche GT3, a Lambo Gallardo, a Lotus Esprit etc)

As for this Z06, I have this one and 3 more on their way :lol:

Now, I better hurry up with this Z06. As soon as Bob and Bill get on it, I'll be blown out of the water.... :roll: