Model Cars Magazine Forum

Petty '69 Talladega and '69 Torino

Scottnkat

Okay - time for my next project and this one will take some time for me as I will be learning new stuff. Can I get a "Woo hoo"??

Alright - due to the comments and suggestions I have received regarding the Petty Belvedere, apparently there are some that want to see more Petty cars. Some of the cars requested, however, there is no kit for. As such, I would have to scratch build quite a bit to make the '71 Satellite or the '67 GTX or the '65 Barracuda. So I need to learn how to do that stuff. What better way than to make one car while converting another one? So, here it is - I am going to build the '69 Talladega and the '69 Torino together.

The cars are almost the same, so I can use the Talladega parts to learn "how to" on the Torino. The Talladega kit will be the one issued by Polar Lights a few years back. This will be practically a box-stock build as the main purpose of this one is to act as a benchmark. The Torino is the kit issued by AMT. Here's the two kits together:

P1020661a.jpg

Unbeknownst to me, the AMT kit actually includes parts to make a version of a stock car - roll cage, racing slicks, etc. I will try to avoid using those parts wherever possible so I am forced to make the parts that I need. But if I find something just a bit too much for me, I do have a fall-back (but I'll try not to use it). Since I will be needing to make some parts, I will be making use of the following tools:

P1020660a.jpg

Yep, that's Evergreen rod and a resin casting kit. Sure enough, I am going to learn how to cast parts in resin (and don't even think I'm going to become one of those people that make copies of other people's parts and sells them - this is strictly for my own purposes). So, there we have it - my new project. This should take me some time...;)

So here's a comparison of the two kits. First up is the Polar Lights Talladega:

P1020663a.jpg

You can compare the parts count and pieces to the AMT Torino:

P1020662a.jpg

But what's most important, I think, are the bodies. Here we have a comparison of the bodies between the Talladega and the Torino:

P1020664a.jpg

P1020667a.jpg

P1020665a.jpg

P1020668a.jpg

First things that pop out to me are the following:

1) I will have to cut out the inner fender walls and that terrible radiator support on the AMT car and scratch build a new radiator support. Okay - I need to find those sheets of Evergreen styrene.

2) Lots of sanding is required on the AMT body to get rid of the emblems, trim behind the windows, etc. I am sure there are other things but these two pop out at me.

Okay - one final note:

While comparing the two kits, I realized the huge difference between the racing slicks in the AMT kit and the ones that come in the Polar Lights kit. The AMT kit has nice Goodyear slicks, while the PL kit has blank, no name, generic-looking slicks. Hmmm... AMT beats the PL kit in one respect so far.

P1020670a.jpg

Actually there are '67 and '71 kits out there you could use but this is just as cool. Rock on!

I saw those kits and figured I could use those bodies, but if they are just street cars, they would require major modification to make them into race cars. That's what prompted this project for me. I want to build those ones.

Okay - one final note:

While comparing the two kits, I realized the huge difference between the racing slicks in the AMT kit and the ones that come in the Polar Lights kit. The AMT kit has nice Goodyear slicks, while the PL kit has blank, no name, generic-looking slicks. Hmmm... AMT beats the PL kit in one respect so far.

Actually AMT is probably behind, as those tires are from a much later era, so they are totally wrong for the cars you're building, unless you want to represent them as modern day "vintage racers" in that case you would have to add a few things such as a rear tail light in the back window opening, as these cars are used on road race circuits, & are required to meet SCCA rules.

Edited by horsepower

The tires in the AMT kit are way too big, and the wheels are too deep, especially if you don't cut out the front inner fenders on the Torino kit. (I've got one of those built that had problems because of that.) The correct tires for that car are treaded ones, like in the PL kit, anyway. You could cast up a set of wheels and tires from the PL kit, or use some wheels and tires from PPP to use on the Torino to make your life easier, and make it more correct.

Hope this helps.

Well, I did do some looking around. It appears that the car is curently displayed with racing slicks as shown in this photo:

4121132354_4b7de840ff_z.jpg

When first raced, however, it used much more vintage tires:

pettytorino69_sm_a.jpg

That's not a bad idea to make copies of the tires and wheels from the PL kit. Unfortunatley, buying anything is out of the question due to finances, so while the PPP wheels and tires look good, I don't think it's going to happen.

I know you said you were building the Polar Lights kit OOB, but it bears mentioning that the body is kinda goofy....the front fenders slant uphill. To make it look right, you'll need to "bend" them back down. I was beginning on that same kit, and somehow lost the body. Looking forward to watching your build.

I know you said you were building the Polar Lights kit OOB, but it bears mentioning that the body is kinda goofy....the front fenders slant uphill. To make it look right, you'll need to "bend" them back down. I was beginning on that same kit, and somehow lost the body. Looking forward to watching your build.

Check this build site out http//public.fotki.com/lannyhass/how-tos/polar_lights_build_up/ Lanny Hass posted his build of this kit. I used some of of his build points to do three of my PL Torino's. This guy knows what he's talking about.when it comes to doing a great build up of the PL kit. Also you will notice on Lannys build that he uses an after market gas cap and fuel over-flow on the Torino. Both of these parts are no longer available and you'll have to make your own parts.

When I did my Torino's, when it came time to bend the nose down, I did it this way

1) I cut releaf cuts in the left and right engine compartment panels to make the bends easyer.

2) Put the nose in boiling water for one minute and remove and GENTLEY BEND the nose down. You might need to repete the process more then once.

3) When the nose looks right , run the body under cold water to set it.

4) Let cool for a couple of hours before starting to work on the body.

Good luck with your build.

Edited by kitbash1

I remember my LHS owner talking about this kit. I was concidering building it and he told me there was a huge fit problem with the engine..I cant remember but I think he said the engine sat too high, prreventing the hood from closing. You might want to test fit with white glue before you do any painting. If you'd like, next time I call him up, which will more than likely be tomorrow I'll ask him what the problem with the kit was. it may not even be the same kit, but i'll find out so you'll know what to expect.

Check this build site out http//public.fotki.com/lannyhass/how-tos/polar_lights_build_up/ Lanny Hass posted his build of this kit. I used some of of his build points to do three of my PL Torino's. This guy knows what he's talking about.when it comes to doing a great build up of the PL kit. Also you will notice on Lannys build that he uses an after market gas cap and fuel over-flow on the Torino. Both of these parts are no longer available and you'll have to make your own parts.

When I did my Torino's, when it came time to bend the nose down, I did it this way

1) I cut releaf cuts in the left and right engine compartment panels to make the bends easyer.

2) Put the nose in boiling water for one minute and remove and GENTLEY BEND the nose down. You might need to repete the process more then once.

3) When the nose looks right , run the body under cold water to set it.

4) Let cool for a couple of hours before starting to work on the body.

Good luck with your build.

Thanks for the tip on straightening up the fenders - unfortunately, it doesn't seem that I am able to view that site - it says "member not found" - bummer

I remember my LHS owner talking about this kit. I was concidering building it and he told me there was a huge fit problem with the engine..I cant remember but I think he said the engine sat too high, prreventing the hood from closing. You might want to test fit with white glue before you do any painting. If you'd like, next time I call him up, which will more than likely be tomorrow I'll ask him what the problem with the kit was. it may not even be the same kit, but i'll find out so you'll know what to expect.

Hey, that's great! Thanks so much for that!! I'd love to hear whatever you can find out.

And the final update of the night. I have fixed the upward curvature of the fenders on the Talladega. Here is the before shot:

P1020673a.jpg

Here's where I made a couple of small cuts on the fenders to make bending easier:

P1020673aa.jpg

I then used Douglas's suggestion and dipped it in hot water for a few, bent it into shape, then put it under cold water. Here it is now with the upward curve resolved. I may still have to make some adjustments, but it's getting there:

P1020674a.jpg

You can also see in that pic that the inner fenders on the Torino are being removed. I'm not done with that yet, so no full on pics of it yet. I have also sanded down all the trim, emblems, side reflectors, and front turn signals and I have drilled a hole in the rear fender for the gas cap. More to come...

Mike / Scott

Lannys fotki site goes in to the engine fit question. It only happens when your building the 429 C.I. motor. Lanny shows you how he corrected the fit problem, I tried it and everything went right into place. Also, your going to have to shave a small amount from the front of the wheel arches on the fenders. Once again lannys build will get into this as well.

Edited by kitbash1