Model Cars Magazine Forum

Petty '69 Talladega and '69 Torino

Scottnkat

Well, Bart, good or bad, you'll all see how it is. I'm hoping (of course) that everything comes out well. But if there is something done wrong, I am hoping that this little thread will show someone what I did wrong so they don't make the same mistake.

Alright - time for a break from the resin / silicon stuff and back to the styrene. I did a little bit more on the chassis of the Torino building up the back braces of the rollcage and getting the back cover thingy in place. Here's how it looks:

P1020721a.jpg

Gotta check for fit and all to make sure everything is still in place where it needs to be:

P1020720a.jpg

Yep - it all still fits. So far, we're doing okay. As I was reviewing some pictures of the car, however, I noticed something that is not built into either kit: there's a vent above the rear quarter panel near the trunk. These two closeup photos show that:

P1020723a.jpg

Well, I've come this far on this car - we're gotta do that. Some time with some brass tubing and a dremel resulted in this:

P1020722a.jpg

I realized that I had gotten the vent a lit forward from where it is on the real car. But I didn't realize this until after the superglue had set. So, here's my first blatant error. Next time I will try to take the reference pics downstairs with me so I can get things in the proper place. That's what I get for just going down and doing it as I thought I remembered it.

Well, I got home and pulled the molds out of the Legos. They don't look pretty:

P1020724a.jpg

But after a little clean up, they looked okay. I also cut two holes in each two part mold - one to pour the resin into and one to act as a vent to make sure the air escapes. I started to get out the resin to try it when I realized - I don't have any small funnels! I'm afraid without the funnel, I'll just get resin all over the place. Looks like I've gotta take a trip to the store before I pour any resin. Sorry for the delay, everyone. I tried taking pics of the molds with the slits cut, but my camera just doesn't show it at all (even after trying a couple of times) - it has terrible contrast.

... I started to get out the resin to try it when I realized - I don't have any small funnels! I'm afraid without the funnel, I'll just get resin all over the place. Looks like I've gotta take a trip to the store before I pour any resin...

For what it's worth in the future, I make a mess even with a funnel, so for me those little plastic pipettes work really well. Do an internet search, you can find a 100 pack for about 5 bucks.

Thanks for the tip, Tommy - as soon as I can get to the store, I have another option now. I appreciate it.

Well, Daniel, I'd always wanted to try making resin parts before but I felt really unsure of myself. I figure that by documenting this (both the good and bad) it may help someone else like me that's been nervous about it and maybe my mistakes can be an example of what not to do for everyone else.

Well, I just found out that the gas vent in the picture is for a road course car - for an oval track car, the vent would have been on the driver's side. So, I am moving the vent to the driver's side on the Talladega as that would have definitely been used on the oval tracks. I'm going to keep the one on the passenger side of the Torino because I'm figuring that would have been the car that would be used on the road courses. It'll give them just a bit more individuality.

Thanks for the tip, Mo

Edited by Scottnkat

Great! Now I know I had my thinking straight about only having to switch it on the one car (but needing to switch it on that one car). I appreciate the confirmation, Jacen!! :)

That's cool info, as well. I have been setting it up so the engines are only single 4bbl carbs - I'm doing the 427 in the Torino and the Boss 429 in the Talladega.

Edited by Scottnkat

I haven't done it yet - our son was moving out yesterday and today the wife has had me cleaning the room (geez, that guy was a pack rat) and I still have to get to the store. I'm hoping in the next couple of days to be able to try out the molds I made and see what worked and what didn't.

Well, in lieu of being able to pour some resin, I worked some more on the cars themselves tonight. The main project this evening was the Talladega. Thanks to Lanny Haas for the excellent information on this kit and how some things need "tweaking" and thanks for Douglas for pointing that information out to me.

As I mentioned, the Talladega is going to get the Boss 429 engine. Only problem is that the Boss 429 doesn't fit when building the kit as the instructions state. So we had to make a few changes. First of all, the engine doesn't have a positive locator on the pan to make sure you get it in straight. So we drill a little hole in the oil pan, insert an aluminum rod, then slightly enlarge the existing hole in the crossmember - voila! Instant positive location!!

P1020728a.jpg

Now that we know just where the engine is going to fit, we need to make some adjustments to the front rollcage around the engine. By default, these posts that come down around the wheel's A-arms stick out too far. The engine won't even get down in there unless you leave the valve covers off. Well that just won't do - I like the Boss 429 valve covers. So, we have to cut those supports off as shown on the right below:

P1020727a.jpg

Once those were off, we had to cut out the whole middle piece so we can get these to lay closer to the outside and not so close in. Basically, we're just using the outermost 1/3 of each piece and scrapping the inner 1/3 of these pieces. We then glue those into place as shown:

P10220729a.jpg

Now to test-fit the engine - and it fits!!!! Yippee!!!

P1020730a.jpg

Now to replicate this part of the rollcage on the Torino's chassis!

Well, I did get a little done. I have made an approximation of the front rollcage on the stock Torino chassis. It's not exactly pretty, but it is functional so far, and it's nice and stable. It's getting close to the time to get some color on these two chassis once I get just a little bit more done. Woo hoo!!

P1020731a.jpg

I also did some sanding and smoothing on the two bodies. Goodbye mold seams. I thought I had sanded the front fenders of the Talladega until they were smooth, but the primer shows I still have a little more work to go. You can also see the hole for the gas cap and the vent on the sides of both cars - remember one on the right and one on the left.

P1020732a.jpg

sorry, Ian - I was planning on trying to pour some resin tonight, but Kat's got me helping her in the kitchen - cutting up 20 pounds of chicken wings, mixing crab for the stuffed croissants, etc. I am hoping to get some free time before I just get tired - oh, she's a slave-driver. But I want the good food tomorrow, so I kinda feel obliged to help.

Thanks, Jacen. Doing any kind of scratchbuilding like this is really out of my comfort zone. As such, I am not expecting perfection from myself, but I am just trying to make this a learning experience so I can do better next time. Still, I do want this to be a decent job. It's kinda strange - I could go much more slowly, do the same part multiple times until I get it right, but that wasn't quite what I was planning on for this build. Still, I am doing what I was hoping to accomplish, so that's as good as I am hoping for.

Okay - I poured my resin for the first time. Before I show the results, I'm going to show everything that led up to it. Here's the molds with one pouring channel and one vent to allow the air out:

P1020733a.jpg

I heated up the molds in the microwave for 50 seconds (it's supposed to be one minute for each pound and I almost used the full pound of silicon). I then used Legos and rubber bands to ensure they were tight:

P1020734a.jpg

I then poured equal parts of the two resin parts into separate cups:

P1020736a.jpg

Finally, I mixed the two up stirring slowly so as not to introduce any more bubbles:

P1020737a.jpg

After it was all mixed and there were no swirls of the individual colors left, I began to pour the resin into the molds - here the molds are with the resin poured:

P1020738a.jpg

The resin started turning a milky color before I had even finished pouring it, so I think I took to long to stir and didn't allow enough time for me to do the pouring.

The first thing I poured was the bumper. I had a pour spout in the middle and a vent on one side. I should have had a vent on the other side as well, as this looked acceptable except for the large air bubble at the end:

P1020743a.jpg

The second one I poured was the tire. It started to pour in and I thought it became full. I think my vent hole was too close to the pour hole and it ended up getting plugged up. Most of the tire came out okay, except for the large bubble at the top:

P1020742a.jpg

By this time, the resin was starting to thicken up so I quickly tried to pour it into the other molds. Nothing good resulted from that as you can see in the next few pics:

P1020739a.jpg

P1020740a.jpg

P1020741a.jpg

Oh, well - I will try again. This time I will mix smaller amounts to see what happens. I did make a second vent hole in the bumper mold already. This has been a little disheartening, but I knew going into this that I was probably going to stumble here and there so it's not totally a surprise. I'll post pics again when I make my second attempt.

Okay - that seems to have helped resolve the issue for me. Here's the bumper complete now that I have added the second vent hole:

P1020747a.jpg

And here are the front and back of the wheels. Sorry the details kinda washed out, but this is actually pretty good and my camera is pretty crappy.

P1020746a.jpg

Okay, so I am starting to get the hang of this. I still need some more practice, but I think I'm getting it. Sure the parts need to be cleaned up, but I'm actually kinda happy with how these turned out.

sorry, Ian - I was planning on trying to pour some resin tonight, but Kat's got me helping her in the kitchen - cutting up 20 pounds of chicken wings, mixing crab for the stuffed croissants, etc. I am hoping to get some free time before I just get tired - oh, she's a slave-driver. But I want the good food tomorrow, so I kinda feel obliged to help.

Great work Scott. Now I really want to try some resin molding.

What time should we get to your place for the superbowl party?

Okay, for those of you that don't know, this is what happens when you don't mix the two parts together well:

P1020748a.jpg

In my haste, I rushed mixing and didn't ensure it was fully mixed. See the dark areas of the tire? Those are not dry and I expect they will remain this way. Yep, it's just a gushy mushy goo. Thing learned from this? MIX WELL

Wish I could, Rob - but I appreciate the invite.

Thanks for the info, Jacen - I may have to put talcum powder on my shopping list next time.

Okay, it's taken some time, but I am calling it a night. Everything still needs some trimming, sanding, and general cleaning up, but even with all the screw ups (and there were a few more than I showed here), we were able to finally get it down so the parts came out okay. We're finishing up our night with four tires, four rims (both pieces), two rear end cooler boxes, two Mopar cross-ram manifolds, and one bumper. Overall, I am rather pleased with how things ended up. Granted, I still need more practice to make things really nice, but I can live with this. So, here's the final shot of the night:

P1020750a.jpg

Edited by Scottnkat

I spent some time last night doing a little sanding and clean up on those parts. They do look better now. I'll be posting pics later. Right now, I've gotta take my wife to get her license renewed then get her to the dentist and in between, I have to get to the dump. Busy morning.