Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dirt late model project

shawnh24n43

Here it is as of today

DSC00469.jpg

The front bumper and body mount done, some of the support bars are white glued in for the mockup.

DSC00476.jpg

The rear bumper,body mount and fuel cell bracket and mounts done.

DSC00473.jpg

There is a LOT of finish work to be done on this before it's ready for paint, but will have to wait until the chassis and body mockup is done.

The plans are pretty decent. I made an error in printing out the plans at first, (you need to set the printer to copy at 100% and not the default setting of print to page) but on the flip side, some thinking and trial and error are still necessary. His plans and parts are for a 2007, and the car I'm using is a 2010 so some variation from the plans has been necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my interior built, and deck support braces mocked up. The front brace is mocked up complete, the rear needs tabs and supports.

DSC00487.jpg

DSC00488.jpg

I had to do some real thinking about how to make the interior one piece, and yet removable for painting purposes. I decided to cut the bar into pieces running through the interior, and drill the rods out, and install pins. The interior is removable, and yet it reassembles easy and yet is still strong.

DSC00489.jpg

DSC00490.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A small but not so small update. Interior and deck are done and ready for paint. This step has taken a while, but realized there is 26 seperate pieces in the interior and 43 in the deck.

The interior had strips added to the edges of it,to simulate where they overlap and rivet the pieces together.

DSCF0086.jpg

The deck is ready for paint, and will fit flat when all the pieces are glued together.

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

Here is a shot from below, to show the "folded over" strips, where the deck pieces are riveted on the real car, and how I'll glue mine together.

DSCF0094.jpg

Whoa Shawn this thing is looking awesome man I don't know how I missed it. I really really like your strips simulating folded and riveted seams, that is so cool I don't know what else to say. I am a bit intimidated by trying this(dirt modeler plans/pe kits) out, but after a few years of practice I think I might be ready to take on something completely scratch built. Keep up the good work man I am loving this one. Your friends car looks rad by the way..does he race local or travel all over?