Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why were there no GM aero cars?

Maybe someone that knows more NASCAR history than me can answer this. I was reading up on the Ford/Mercury and Dodge/Plymouth aero cars of 1969 and 1970 and the thought occurred to me: how come GM didn't build one? One could argue that the later Laguna S-3 was their attempt at an aero car, but why so late? What would a 69/70 aero Chevelle look like?

Most today are unaware that during the Kennedy/Johnson years of the 1960's, the Anti-Trust Division of the US Dept of Justice was preparing an anti-trust case against General Motors, who by that decade held over 55% of the US new car market--putting GM allegedly in conflict with the provisions of the Sherman and Clayton Anti Trust Acts. (the same laws which were used to break up ATT&T and IBM in the 1970's). In order to forestall any bad publicity, GM officially pulled out of sponsoring any form of racing activity--although some was still done "out the side door".

Coupled with these issues was the increased scrutiny by the likes of Ralph Nader and the fledgling auto safety movement in Washington DC, GM having been given a pretty black eye over a couple of their marques.

Art