Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lets see some mini's

sports850

I've only been here a couple of days and I'm really impressed with the quality of builds that have been done . I have been searching through the various post's but was wondering if people could put some photo's in here of the mini builds they have done . I am a mini fanatic and am interested in new ideas for future builds and to just see what people have done . I'll start it off with some of mine (most are still boxed up from a recent move I'm afraid ...) .

Italeri Volvo semi with car carrier loaded with mini's which is my current long term build , I wanted some way of displaying some of the older mini builds I've done and came up with this idea . The top row from left is the first Tamiya mini I ever did , all brush painted , then a Tamiya mini with alfoil covered seats , formula one style bonnet scoop and home made rear wing (I was 16 at the time ...) , Fujimi mini 25 , Fujimi Rover mini . Bottom row from left Tamiya mini painted with "sugarcane" acrylic I had left over from one of my previous full size mini's , Tamiya racing mini , Tamiya Monte Carlo rally mini and then Tamiya body on scratch built chassis as a poor attempt at a funny car which is why it's hiding right up the front of the truck . Still got a bit of work to do to the front trailer yet , it started off as being the Fruehauf trailer (comes with steel rolls on the back) as I got it without a deck and then cut it down to be a B-double .

semi7.jpg

semi5.jpg

It's now on it's way to becoming a B-double with a flatbed trailer to hold a mini monster truck and mini on Suzuki (jimny ??) Chassis , need to finish front trailer and then build a case for it as it's nearly 1.4 meters long ...

bdouble2.jpg

Another current build is replicating my fathers cooper s we restored 15 or so years ago ,

bob.jpg

Custom mini based on a Tamiya mini with unknown '56 chev tailfins , this is based on a 1:1 mini known as minisota , I was building it for a comp on another forum and ran out of time to get it right so it became a custom inspired by minisota ...

kustom3.jpg

kustom5.jpg

kustom8.jpg

bigandlittle2.jpg

Edited by sports850

Peter Manton's (Australian mini racer in the 60's) first 997 cooper , the car was originally red and had a high speed race car paint job , hence all the engine bay and interior are still red and not the Neptune colour like the exterior ,

Manton moved the battery to the engine bay in an attempt to reduce wheel spin coming out of corners ,

enginedetail.jpg

mside.jpg

mint.jpg

meng.jpg

1:35 Heller mini built as the 1967 Bathurst winning cooper s for a mate who loves the car , another mate printed the decals for me . the Heller kit (old airfix kit) is a real pain in the proverbial with the body being in three parts , nose from front edge of bonnet down , main body and then rear from bottom of rear windscreen down .

jimfinished3.jpg

jimsfinished.jpg

I am also building a 1971 Nota fang which is an Australian road/race car based on a mini (mini front subframe with motor/gearbox/diff is mounted behind the driver , hilman imp front end and minimal bodywork) , I'm having trouble getting the bodywork right for this one so far . I have a 1:1 version of this which is what I'm basing the measuremnets on , unfortunately it's in similar condition to the model and awaiting time to restore .

plug2.jpg

15012010849-001.jpg

A Nota Fang , not mine sadly :(

p1010111en9.jpg

Edited by sports850

Nice Mini Martinfan , I've got a couple of new Mini kits in the stash to do so far but haven't got to them yet .

Replica of a mates cooper s (same mate as the bathurst mini , this was done for his birthday by myself and another mate who made the decals and certificate for it , we're collectors , only the best models have certificates ...) , right down to the various stickers on the windows ;)

frontquarter.jpg

otherside.jpg

rear.jpg

Another current build is a mini monster truck , front half of the mini body came in a bulk lot of bits I got in a swap , rear half is from an unknown toy ford pickup a friend on another forum gave me . Chassis etc is the USA 1 Monster truck kit , lot of work to go on this one so far , mainly in the bodywork dept ....

hmmmini3.jpg

So what other mini builds (or mini based variants) have people done ?

VW Dave , your wife did a nice clean job there

DoubleD , looks great , I think just about everyone has done a mini at some stage .

I have a Fujimi and a Revell version of the New Mini , Revell kit I must have bought about 10 years ago but never gotten around to building it , will have to drag it out soon . It has the A , B and C pillars moulded in clear plastic and you have to paint them black from memory doesn't it ? I opened the box , looked at that and shut the box up again vowing to look at it later and it's sat ever since ...

the Revell New Mini is a B#$%ard to get right... which,btw, is why i gave the unfinished one i had to the local club. now; the tamiya Mini... those are little jewels of precision.

i'm going to do the three from the (REAL) Italian Job one of these days... with drivers AND gold bars.

Revell MINI, built in about 3 days. It didn't fall together, but I didn't have too much trouble with it.20100427_999-vi.jpg

20100427_999_7-vi.jpg

Hot Wheels Morris Mini, stripped and repainted. I bought a couple more to do, and have the new Hot Wheels MINI Challenge stripped and almost ready for paint as well.

IMG_1034-vi.jpg

IMG_1038-vi.jpg

In the to-do pile, I have the Tamiya Monte Carlo Rally Mini and the Morris Mini, and a 1/43 Heller Mini. I'd like to get a couple of the Fujimis, the other Tamiya racing Mini I don't have, and the Hasegawa MINI Countryman.

Here's my girlfriend's 1:1 '11 Clubman.

IMG_0736-vi.jpg

Here's my lot of Mini's, the Almond Green and the Island Blue one's were built way back in 1995, and were built out of the box, they were the first few models I built when I got back into the hobby, the black Mini was a Tamiya kit converted into a basic Mini 850, there's a lot of detail you can't see, but the remote gearchange was removed and a gearstick was made out a pin with a blob of solder for the gearknob, and the wheels,hubcaps and front grill were done in white metal, but I am now re-doing them in resin, the red and white Coopers were built last year, apart from using factory matched paint and drilling out the 9 hole Cooper wheels, they were built pretty much out of the box, the Surf blue model was the Austin kit, but I used the Morris parts, a matching Fiesta yellow will be built soon to go in the same showcase.

DSC_0010-vi.jpg

DSC_0011-vi.jpg

DSC_0012-vi.jpg

DSC_0013-vi.jpg

DSC_0004-vi.jpg

Basher , That'd be great if you could give more details , my attempts at extending bodies so far have been woeful ... If you ever copy and cast that body I'd be keen for a couple .

62Rebel , yes , an Italian Job dio is definitely on the cards here too , but I want to build the bus to go with it .... No idea if or when that will happen as my scratch building skills aren't up to it yet but I can still plan for now .

Eric , that's a sweet looking build , you guy's have definitely motivated me to drag the Revell kit out now and have another look at it . The hotwheels looks great too , I haven't tried to repaint one of them yet but was seriously thinking of the flamed yellow one for a full sized colour scheme for a while .

Joe , I have a really early version of the Tamiya front wheel drive car , the front suspension is a horizontal spring right across the top of the front so instead of one front wheel rising independently one wheel goes up and the other is pushed down . It works well in some situations but others causes massive wheelspin . They are a hell of a lot of fun though and handle abuse well . I also have the Kyosho .049 rwd mini (1992 or thereabouts) , very fussy thing to keep running , the much later Kyosho .12 fwd mini (2000 or thereabouts , built bubt never fired) and a mardave ministock which is elecctric rwd , slower than the Tamiya and with solid suspension and foam tyres but is brilliant fun . Yes , I am obsessed ..... I also have 5 full sized mini's and variants in various states ...

Erik , that's a tough looking build , bumperless mini's always look the business :)

Hi Geoff , I thought I saw your username here in another thread , I don't think you've shown enough of your Tamiya builds over on the IMMCC site , brilliant detailing there , well done .

That'd be great thank's Hugh .

The previous build's excellent jbwelda , I found photo's of that in my first search , but that resin body is brilliant , have you got the contact details for the maker please ? First up I thought it was the usuall 1:35 resin slot car body from the UK till I remembered they have the bonnet moulded shut . This is to fit the parts from the Tamiya mini isn't it ?

>The previous build's excellent jbwelda , I found photo's of that in my first search , but that resin body is brilliant ,

>have you got the contact details for the maker please ? First up I thought it was the usuall 1:35 resin slot car body

>from the UK till I remembered they have the bonnet moulded shut . This is to fit the parts from the Tamiya mini isn't it ?

well the story on the body is it was made by a fellow in south africa and his company Scalekraft i believe it was. unfortunately he

met with an accident and is out of commission, perhaps forever. very sad situation but he was livin life to the fullest when the

misfortune hit him. anyway he had this incredible list of bodies he cast up and at one point i wrote him a letter (yes indeed) and

ordered a few bodies. that speedway mini is a real jewel, i would suppose he made the mold himself and it comes with window

glass, minilite mag wheel inserts, weber carbs and a bunch of interior parts i believe (i would have to dig them out to be sure whats

in there exactly. and yeah it is made to fit the tamiya mini, and near as i can tell will be a super easy conversion. keep an eye on it

coming up in a month or so, i will post in the workbench section when i get into it.

i also got a couple of other bodies, a porsche carrera early style and a mini traveller, but i kick myself for not ordering quite a few more.

they were fairly expensive but most came with conversion parts and interiors etc and the castings are very very nice.

you might establish a search on ebay and one might come up...i do know Scalekraft products do come up time to time.

now there was or is a 1/32 broadspeed mini body for slotcars? please tell me where i can find one! i got a 1/32 brass tubing chassis

just waiting for something to put on top of it!