Model Cars Magazine Forum

The New NASCAR

Well fellas, times are changing, that fact is quite obvious and if you are a racing fan I'm sure you know how I mean. From factory-backed race teams to cars that look less and less like a real car every year. Now its basically change the decals, change the make. And Toyota???? Really?? Anyways I know you can't fight progress and even though I have my gripes I am still a fan. But the ultimate insult has come this coming season, the abandonment of the old, trusty carburetor. EFI may be more efficient in street cars but wheres the fun in tuning your race car with a lap top? This sport was founded by moonshiners and now their are more computers in a car that the space shuttle. I guess it may just be me but I say why mess with what ain't broke? I am sorry for this rant, I just had to vent. good night, and happy modeling everyone!

While there are things about Nascar I don't like, EFI isn't one of them. When was the last time a new car was sold with a carburetor on it ??? 20, 25 years ??? And Toyota ??? I'm not a fan of Toyota by any streach but there has never been anything in Nascar's rule book to exclude any make of car. In 1952 Jaguar was the first foreign make to win a Nascar race, yes, it was a road course. In 1961 Volvo competed in the then new Compact class, so don't complain about Toyota ( just root against them....lol). Comon templates would be my biggest complaint as that goes against the spirt of compition but I understand why they went that direction. There is always talk about going to comon engines but it never comes from Nascar themselves. As long as its racing, its still better than football to me.

While there are things about Nascar I don't like, EFI isn't one of them. When was the last time a new car was sold with a carburetor on it ??? 20, 25 years ??? And Toyota ??? I'm not a fan of Toyota by any streach but there has never been anything in Nascar's rule book to exclude any make of car. In 1952 Jaguar was the first foreign make to win a Nascar race, yes, it was a road course. In 1961 Volvo competed in the then new Compact class, so don't complain about Toyota ( just root against them....lol). Comon templates would be my biggest complaint as that goes against the spirt of compition but I understand why they went that direction. There is always talk about going to comon engines but it never comes from Nascar themselves. As long as its racing, its still better than football to me.

Slant, you took the words outa my mouth, It gets real old with so called NASCAR fans and the constant bashing , if you dont like it anymore , dont watch it. Its call progress, it happens with everything in life, including automobiles, so I am guessing NASCAR should go back in time?. I say its about darn time NASCAR is joining the 21st century and going to EFI.

And the Toyota hate gets old to, more Toyota's are built in the US , then US cars are, its good for NASCAR to have them. I have been a NASCAR fan since the early 90s, and yes a lot of change has taken place, alot that I dont like, and a lot of it is brought on by the TV networks to "try and help get better ratings", but in the end NASCAR has gone away from what it was, but its slowy going to back.

In 2013 the new era of COT hits the track, it wont look anything like the COT dose right now, the cars are going to more like the street car counter parts.

I quit watching and going to the races when Richard Petty retired. I hadn't been happy with NASCAR since about 1984, but stuck with it because we fans are diehards when it comes to our favorite driver. I went to every Daytona 500 from 1976 to 1986 when the writing on the wall became clear. With the old guard gone and these soap bar cars that you can't tell what it is without looking at the sticker on the nose...I just lost interest. If I had any interest left at all the death knell was when they let Toyota in. I'm suprised they aren't running front wheel drives yet. :(

I thought the front wheel drives where going to show up in the 80s.

Most of the "Stock Cars" as they say, running in Nascar are front wheel drives in the real world.

I quit watching and going to the races when Richard Petty retired. I hadn't been happy with NASCAR since about 1984, but stuck with it because we fans are diehards when it comes to our favorite driver. I went to every Daytona 500 from 1976 to 1986 when the writing on the wall became clear. With the old guard gone and these soap bar cars that you can't tell what it is without looking at the sticker on the nose...I just lost interest. If I had any interest left at all the death knell was when they let Toyota in. I'm suprised they aren't running front wheel drives yet. :(

I will say it again, is NASCAR sposed to be forzen in time, when the cars weighed 4 tons, got 5mpg, ran on leaded fuel?, what do you want?, NASCAR is about racing stock cars, yes I know they are not stock cars anymore, but lets say that they were, and they looked like their counter parts, and had front wheel driver, would you still complain?.

I am not trying to start an agrument here, but the old school NASCAR fans are very hard to please and do nothing but complain

EFI, more than four gears, independent rear suspensions... might as well be extraterrestrial technology as far as NASCAR is concerned. Fact is, most NASCAR fans don't know the cars are low-tech dinosaurs, and fewer still care. NASCAR isn't going to modernize the vehicles if they don't have to as long as those crude old designs keep on rakin' in the revenue for them. B)

There are many things wrong with Sprint Cup, the biggest being it is more about the money, than it is about the sport. To me the biggest problem is the Chase and the Locked In top 35 for qualifying. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is'nt racing about being the fastest to the finish, that being qualifying, pit stops or the race itself. The Locked In 35 proves they care about the money more than the integrity of the sport.

The Chase (artificial excitement) works for stick and ball sports, but not racing. You shouldn't have outsiders affecting the outcome of those in the play-off, and a race with only a dozen cars would be a bigger snoozefest than it is now.

I used to complain about carbs still in use, but then thought, what if I didn't know whether they used EFI or not, would it make viewing a race any better, ,,,,,NO.

Another problem with Cup racing, the format. 3-4 hours of it just plain gets boring, I personally know no one who watches an entire race anymore, they do like I do, watch the first 25 or so laps, then fall asleep or do other things. I would like them to take a page from theshort track guys, Heats, B main and the Feature. Make the heats 30-40 laps, the same for the B and a 200 lap feature event. Maybe then I could stay awake for a race.

MAKE THE RULEBOOK AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC! This way there is no favoritism, watch two guys make the same infraction and rarely does it seem the punishment is ever the same.

Get rid of fake Debris Cautions. If the field id not bunched up and one guys smokes the field, so be it, If one of their Golden Boys is getting lapped, so be it, that's racing.

GET RID OF SPEC RACING! There is no need to have all the bodies the same. Use factory templates and allow an airdam and a rear spoiler.

I'm not a "Conspiracy "guy, but too many things in NASCAR seem scripted or rules bent for their benefit. Jr, who hasn't performed well in ages, gets a win in Nationwide the time he runs daddy's paint job. Tony Stewart passed how many cars at Homestead? When has anyone else performed like that recently? There is no proof, but think back at how many times like this something has happened?

I've said this for a long time, technology is killing racing. Take F1, tons of tech, no excitement. Now before the F1 fans pile on, I used to enjoy watching F1.

These are just my opinions and I'm sure your's will be different.

Edited by Psychographic

Well if memory serves correctly , at the time Toyota entered NASCAR it was the only car assembled in the USA . I think Ford was being assembled in Cananda

and GMC in Mexico . Now before you flog me for this post I do not watch NASCAR anymore and have no dog in this hunt .........

I will say it again, is NASCAR sposed to be forzen in time, when the cars weighed 4 tons, got 5mpg, ran on leaded fuel?, what do you want?, NASCAR is about racing stock cars, yes I know they are not stock cars anymore, but lets say that they were, and they looked like their counter parts, and had front wheel driver, would you still complain?.

I am not trying to start an agrument here, but the old school NASCAR fans are very hard to please and do nothing but complain

Well, the guys stuck in past want everything to remain as it was in 1960 or 1970 or whatever their high point in time was...same with a lot of things, not just NASCAR.

NASCAR like any another motorsport, needs to evolve but it's evolutionary pace is quite slow..

I went to the two races here in Phoenix last year, watched many of the races on TV, it's fun...I'm more of an Indy Car, F1, and road racing fan, but I've enjoyed NASCAR in recent years after not paying attention for a long time..

For a 'stock' car series, I'd love to see a US version of the V8 Supercars series...alas, it would be only Dodge and Chrysler....maybe Cadillac, since Ford and Chevy only have FWD generic sedans these days...

Edited by Rob Hall

EFI? Its about time NASCAR caught up to the rest of the racing world.

Yes....maybe NASCAR should modernize......but the EFI system they are using is far from cutting edge. It's closer to a 50's era set up and not as modern as the EFI in my 82 Z-28 I owned. The EFI is, again, smoke and mirrors. NASCAR, under outside pressure, is making changes for change sake and not improvement tot he sport. Just like the corn alcohol they tout as 'GREEN' is just fluff. and no solution to anything at all. With corn alcohol funding cut by the government wonder if it will be on the cars this year. NASCAR of the past is gone...never to return. It still beats the tar out of stick and ball stuff.....who here has built a model of a football player?? At least it ties into my model hobby.

What fans of NASCAR (and I am definitely not one of them!) need to understand is that what NASCAR used to be is long gone. Any even vague resemblance to what it used to be... racing factory-built (but modified for racing safety) cars, Ford vs. Chevy vs. Plymouth, etc., is long gone.

The cars have absolutely nothing to do with factory, or "stock" cars. They're not even actually "Fords" or "Chevies" or "Plymouths" anymore... there is no tie to the manufacturer, the cars are all identical. I don't see why they even still bother with calling them "Fords" or "Chevies" or whatever, because they're obviously not.

As far as the EFI thing... the cars are all completely different than they used to be. They have no connection to the way they were... everything has changed. So why bother hanging on to that one last link to the past (the carb) when everything else has already changed?

Someone said it earlier: It's not about the cars anymore, it's about the "personalities." They're pushing the drivers as the show, the cars are just supporting players, because they're all the same!

Today's NASCAR is nothing like what it used to be. I can see where fans of "real" NASCAR (the way it was up til about the '70s) would have a real problem being fans of something that's completely different than what they were fans of for so many years. But it is what it is, and old-time fans have to either accept the "new" NASCAR or drop it altogether. It's never going to go back to what it used to be.

I really wish that I was born about 20 years earlier so I could have seen NASCAR in it prime. The cars were actual cars, the veterans actually knew how to drive and tune and it really was left up to driver skill and team work in the pits to win. I do like NASCAR, don't get me wrong, I just wish some things would go back to the way they were. The only real thing I don't like about EFI is that it takes some nerd with a computer to punch in a few numbers and boom you're done, while as a carb actually takes testing and fine tweaking, you really have to know what you're doing. I know things must progress with the changing times and that is inevitable but can't a guy wish?

come on, really?

just as much "testing and fine tweaking" with computer controlled fuel injection and engine management as there is with an old school carburetor, it's just done differently.

Dave is right, you just use a keyboard instead of a screwdriver....Wait a minute did I just say "Dave is right"? Gee that wasn't as painfull as I thought it would be. :P