Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Corvette - Noel Parks 150mph Milestone Tribute

vwrabbit

Picked up the AMT repop of the 55 Corvette 2-in-1 kit. I've been wanting to do a vintage racer for a while and decided to do Noel Park's 150mph milestone tribute.

16.jpg

Body has had the mold lines smoothed out and applied some Squadron green to the front and rear pan joints. And smoothed out the molded in trim atop the door that usually carries down from the bottom of the windshield and removed the molded on wipers.

DSC_2911.jpg

Got the front suspension temporarily in place to check ride height. Reviews have complained about the 4x4 look the kit has. Verified and needs to be remedied!

DSC_2921.jpg

Working on getting the rear in place and then fixing the ride height.

Tim

Edited by vwrabbit

Got some work done w/the frame, it was slightly bowed increasing the ride height. Had to put 2 notches in it in either side and use some Ambroid ProWeld to soften the frame at the cut and a weight to hold it flat. New front wheels ready and modified the front spindles to help lower it. Still need to get it lower. Removed the front rear spring perch. The plan is to flip it to bring the rear springs down more. Pics in the morning. Time to get to bed.

Tim

Thanks guys!

Dr. Cranky, I'd love to add a driver. Any idea where I could find one?

Here are some pics/updates. First are the images of the cuts I made in the frame to take the bow out of it.

DSC_2934.jpg

Then I removed the rear front spring perch. These will get flipped to help lower the rear end.

DSC_2928.jpg

Then I removed the front A-arm assembly from the frame. Here you can see where I undercut it and marked the frame where the edges were so I knew where to notch the frame.

DSC_2940.jpg

Tim

Do you mean over time or when it dries? I assume the Bondo glazing putty (red) shrinks too? I use both, but haven't really noticing much shrinkage from the glazing putty.

Tim

Yes and yes-shrinks forever.

No, not the one part Bondo red. Look for 'Bondo Professional Glazing and Spot Putty' (number 801) in a blister pack with a small tube of hardener included. About $8 last time I bought.

Harry swears by it too.

i have a love/hate relationship with these kits... they have so much potential but so many stumbling blocks built in! the others like these, the '51 Chevies, are the same way. pretty good proportions and decent detail, and suspension like a monster truck.

you're making great progress with this; keep going!

Weekend update. Did a bunch of work. Just about ready for primer and color.

Trimmed off the tops of the door panel padding. They are sagging and twisted and spaced away from the door assuming you'd like to use the optional windows supplied w/the top. These will be sanded smooth and glued right to the body.

DSC_2958.jpg

Here you can see the twist/sag.

DSC_2961.jpg

Glued to the body along w/the dash top after some sanding.

DSC_2962.jpg

Tim

Edited by vwrabbit

Opened up the trunk. Finally found some more pictures of this beast and found a trunk shot w/the fuel cell and battery. Will emulate that. Glued the hinge in place to make locating the trunk lid to hinge nice and straight. Probably unnecessary, but sounded like a good idea at the time. :)

DSC_2964.jpg

Spare tire well WAY too small. Used the bottom of a prescription bottle. Fits the stock tires perfectly, but this will have a fuel cell and battery instead.

DSC_3041.jpg

DSC_3043.jpg

Tim