Model Cars Magazine Forum

what off road vehicles would you like to build?

off road vehicles  

136 members have voted

1. 1. do you have an off road vehicle you would like to build

I was wondering how many modelers have an off road or 4x4 build floating around their want to do list.

so if it was or is an available kit or kits what would you like to build ?

it could be a rock crawler ,desert racer,baja bug,dune buggy,dakar motorcycles,dirt bikes, quads,a horse,brush fire truck,border patrol,military hummers,rally car,snow mobile.

let us know what you have in mind that you would like to put on your shelf.

or show what you have built so others can be inspired.

Edited by randx0

I have one in mind, but of course, it's not going to be a regular off road vehicle, it's going to be a Post Apocalyptic machine!

could you please elaborate? the idea is to get ideas out there just to see how many others want to build off road stuff.

I have a couple on the slow build bench at the moment , first is a 4wd mini that I'd like to do full size one day , it's going on a Suzuki Jimny chassis . Early days for this one so far ....

ohdear.jpg

mockupminuki.jpg

bigbrother.jpg

and a mini monster truck , the truck chassis/running gear is the USA1 kit while the mini body has been stretched into a ute/pickup with a toy Ford pickup bed that's been narrowed by 1/2" or so . Still a lot of shaping and sanding etc to go yet but I'm having fun :)

hmmmini3.jpg

I would love to see a dodge power wagon in kit form. and also a first gen bronco ,a 1/25th scale baja boot,a glue kit of the hummer (military and civilian),a suburban,a baja bug,a sandrail, any of the track trucks/desert racing corr norra etc,an early willys jeep stationwagon,umm let me think I know there is more.

This is an off-road machine that I built last year. It is a kit bash of the DG Productions bucket truck body and the Moebus Lost in Space Chariot. This is used by line crews in rough and swampy or snowy terrain. In the future I would like to convert a chariot into a SnoCat.

DSCN7850.jpg

DSCN7853.jpg

Thanks

Carl

• Like 1

Hahahahaha! Wow, so much for "tread lightly".

I`ve got an old MPC Grrrrrumbler CJ somewhere around here in terrible condition. I`ve had it for 30 years or so. I put a 350 in it, built a cage and lifted it to the moon when I was a kid. I was looking at it a few weeks ago and thinking I should rebuild it as a King of the Hammers type race machine......one day.

I also have a Lindberg SR-5 Toyota 4x4 pickup. Its very old as well and in perfect condition. Its in the same box as the Jeep.

Very cool J-10 Jeff.

This is my ultimate project , though I'm still figuring out how to make the Snow-Trac ST4 tracks it used accurately (though the ones on dptydawg's model before look pretty close , are they from the lost in space chariot ???) . The Mini-Trac was built by an Australian and used at the Wilkes Base in Antarctica , I found the original builder , interviewed him and got a heap of old photo's of it in use and had a 4 page article published in the Australian magazine "The Mini Experience" .

Edited by sports850

Great looking build DPTYDAWG

Yes, I love 4x4s and would love more options.

Old Broncos would be cool.

Old Dodge PowerWagons would be Awesome..

Suzuki Samaria

P3230001a.jpg

My 1975 Dodge PowerWagon

P9200013.jpg

Honda CRV, Front bumper has been rebuilt since.

P3210001-1.jpg

My 1995 Suzuki SideKick. Testing tire options.. :D

Closertocompletion-1.jpg

I got a few more laying around.. ;):D

Edited by RodneyBad

I would love to have a first generation Bronco! Until then,I'll have to settle for the second and third gens. I still need to build my '78 Bronco. There's a lot of 4x4 subjects I would like to see as kits. I would really like to see some new trucks done as 4x4s especially the new Chevrolet. To me,that's the best looking new truck out there right now and that's coming from a die hard Ford guy!

I used to have a 70 Bronco Sport with a 302 and 3 speed. It was such a cool rig. I still miss it sometimes and wish I had kept it but as fuel prices went up my desire to drive it went waayyyy down.I wish there was a model of it as well.

I found this build a while ago...its incredible!

http://www.offroadmo...splay&thread=48

I would also like to build some off-road vehicles. Years ago I lived near Pismo Beach Ca. I had a modified VW Type 1. It was called a BAJA style, somewhat like the ones used for desert raceing at the time. My wife has always liked Jeeps, and we got her a TJ Wrangler in '97. We got to go to several Jeep Jamborees in Colorado and realy injoyed it. In '08 we ordered her a new '09 TJ Wrangler and again used it at several Jeep Jamborees. This is her daily driver also. Sorry to bore you all about myself, but I put this out there so that everyone can see why I would realy like to see one or more of the model makers step up and make some off-road models of current models. While I personaly like some Jeeps, I think it would make valid buisness since to make GM, Ford, and Dodge off-roader also. I'll bet there are many people on this forum who have 4x4s in their driveways. Sorry to drag on, but I think that the model companys are leaving money on the table by not offering these kits.

I actually have a work in progress. A 1:20 scale Mitsubishi Jeep.

Others I want to do include

- a 1:25 bone stock Jeep CJ-5 from the MPC Daily's kit

- a 1:25 scale scratchbuilt Icelandic Formula Offroad

- a 1:35 scale Ural 4320 logging rig