Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24-5 Can-Am Kits, Plastic & Resin. Let's make a "Catalog"

A few years ago I spent some time looking for any reference to a Howmet Spyder and could only find information relating to Coupes. And have never seen any reference to any turbine running in the Can-am. But if you have information showing it existed and ran in the Can Am I'd love to see it!!

Although built to compete in it I don't think the Toyotas ran in the Can-Am.

A 200-mile (320 km) event was held at Fuji against invited contenders from the Can Am series, with five 7s entered; the Toyotas finished fourth, fifth, sixth, eighth, and ninth. So no, it did not compete in an official Can-Am race. The car was built to FIAs Series 7 specs which is close to Can-Am.

About the Howmet...

The car made its debut in 1968 at the Daytona 24 hours. It was in 3rd after 7 hours of racing, until the wastegate did not close and the car plowed into a barrier. Next was Sebring 12 hours, where it qualified 3rd. It then was pulled from the race, when debris caused damage to the engine. The next two races also ended up with the car retiring at BOAC 500 at Brand's Hatch and a British Championship race at Oulton Park. Then, back in America, the car would obtain it's first race victory, not only for it but turbine powered cars in general! At the Heart of Dixie race in Alabama, it won both the sprint and feature race. It also set a lap record there as well. The next race, Marlboro 300, it won again and setting the lap record there as well.

The cars were ready to try World Championship scene again. At the 6 hours of Watkins Glen the car driven by Heppenstal came in 3rd overall and 1st in class. Next was the torturous Le Mans 24 hours. The car was modified to prevent bugs and debris from entering the engine. The biggest problem though was the rules. Le Mans mandated that all cars be shut off when in the pits. So it become very difficult to start the engines back up. They tried and cool the engines by putting ice on them. In the end, the engine was damaged and the car was limited to 100 mph on the straights.

Although the racing program was discontinued, Howmet though that they could still promote their company. The redesigned the body to chassis #2 and made it an open top car. It is known as the Howmet TX MKII. It weighed in at around 1000 kg and could have added or lost weight to attempt FIA world record runs for cars under or over 1000 kg. It was fastest in 1/4 mile, 1/2 kilometer, and 1 kilometer runs, for both under and over 1000 kilogram cars.

Were the Aurora/Monogram reissued cars part of the Can-Am series? I thought the Chapparels that Monogram did in the early/mid 90's were Can-Am cars? I know the Scarab was too early.

Hi There Steve. Which reissues are you talking about. The Monogram Chaparral I'm aware of is the 2D which was Not a CanAm Car. Jim Hall's Chaparral CanAm Cars were the 2E's, G, H and J.

Academy did a McLaren M8A or B in 1/24.  Also there is a March 707 kit.

Hi Scott, Thanks for adding the March 707. The McLaren was a M8A. Neither in M.H.O. should be on anyones "Pay what it takes" list. They are good for what they are, Wired Remote Control Cars along with the Academy/ Mitsuwa Chaparral 2G. So if one can't live without having a kit of these cars get'en Cheap, Really Cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

I know you said 1/24, but I just ordered a MFH 1/12 917k, and I'm super pumped. should be here in a couple weeks 

WOW Guess you hit the Lottery Huh!? That ought to keep you busy for a (LONG) while.  FWIW Cameron you might want to post this in the "What Pleased Me Today" thread, as I'm sure there are Lot's More Eyes there;)