Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24-5 Can-Am Kits, Plastic & Resin. Let's make a "Catalog"

Ok let's get this out of the way right off, "My Name is Crazy Ed and I'm a Can-Am Junkie". There I feel better already :P .

I know I'm not the only one here so let's make a list of the kits and who made'em that we know are out there so we'll at lease know there's a remote chance of getting a kit for the .............. Car. Let's not wander off to the Dark side and add 1/43 (in which scale you could almost build entire fields of starters!!) or other scaleslike the 1/28 Otakai AVS Shadow or the MPC McLaren M8D etc, OK? The only requirements are that the Kits are 1/24-5 and are of Cars that Raced in the Can-Am even if it was only for 1 race. Well I'll kick it off with:

Lola T70 - IMC, Union, AMT

Lola T260 - UMi

Honker - AMT

Hussein - AMT - USRRC Not CanAm

McLaren/Elva MK 2B - Mini Exotics

McLaren M6A - Fisher

McLaren M6B - Fisher

McLaren M8B (3 different kits) - Accurate Miniatures

McLaren M8A - Mitsuwa, Academy (not sure which came first - same kit)

March 707 - Mitsuwa, Academy (again, same kit)

Chaparral 2E - IMC, Union, Fisher

Chaparral 2G - Academy, Formula Canada

Chaparral 2H - Mini Exotics

Chaparral 2J - Mini Exotics

Ferrari 512S - Heller, Testors, Union

Ferrari 512M - Fisher

Ferrari 350 - L.M.P./ Little Garage

Ferrari 612 - Volkl Resin Cars

Ferrari 712 - UMi, Volklk Resin Cars

Porsche 917/10 - UMi, Formula Canada

Porsche 917/30 - UMi, Fisher, MFH

Porsche 917K - Fujimi, Heller, Union

Shadow DN2 - Formula Canada, Jens (thanks Tim, aka Bigphoto)

Shadow DN4 - Formula Canada

AVS MK 1 Shadow - Silver City Models

Well that ought to at least prime the Pump!

Edited by Crazy Ed
correction

Ed, I wonder if the Porsche 917K , Ferrari 512S and Ferrari 512M should be on that list. The pictures I've seen of Can-Am racing seemed to feature all open cockpit cars, while these are closed coupes.

I've got about 6 of the cars on your list in HO slotcar form... :unsure:

Has anyone built any of the cars on Ed's list? Post 'em up!

Ed, I wonder if the Porsche 917K , Ferrari 512S and Ferrari 512M should be on that list. The pictures I've seen of Can-Am racing seemed to feature all open cockpit cars, while these are closed coupes.

Hi there Monty

Yep all those Cars ran in the '66 - '74 Can-Am series and except for the fact I couldn't find 1/24-5 examples of them, other coupes that might suprise you even more.

Jen's Model: Shadow DN2

Testors: Plymouth Hemi Spl.

Just a couple more!

Thanks for the Jens ref. The Testors kit of the Mckee MK5 Hemi Specl. is a Slot Car so not really within the area of interest for this thread. But yep a real Can-Am car. Not many folks knew a Big Block Hemi ran in the series!!

MPC Howmet Turbine based Can Am roadster car. Was a prototype and I don't think it actually ran in a race. There is a Toyota 7 that showed up in Can Am once and there is a kit of it. I have it but I don't remember the name.

A few years ago I spent some time looking for any reference to a Howmet Spyder and could only find information relating to Coupes. And have never seen any reference to any turbine running in the Can-am. But if you have information showing it existed and ran in the Can Am I'd love to see it!!

Although built to compete in it I don't think the Toyotas ran in the Can-Am.

• 4 years later...

MPC Howmet Turbine based Can Am roadster car. Was a prototype and I don't think it actually ran in a race. There is a Toyota 7 that showed up in Can Am once and there is a kit of it. I have it but I don't remember the name.

The Howmet Turbine competed in the '68 LeMans 24.

Image result for howmet turbine race carImage result for mpc howmet tx modelImage result for mpc howmet tx modelImage result for mpc howmet tx model

Otaki did the Toyota 7.

Image result for toyota 7 model kit

Edited by afx

OK...a little off topic, but not really by much. and if anybody doesn't like it, I'll make it go away and say 30 hail-MCMs.

There's a very little-known car built locally (local to where I am) that wanted to be a CanAm car and might have made it except for a few unfortunate turns of fate.

In SCCA club racing in the late '60s- early '70s, ASR (A-sports racing) was the top class, pretty much run-whatcha-brung. The class was mostly "old" CanAm cars, and one well-known club racer usually had last season's cars.

An enterprising private entrant built a Corvair convertible with a big-block Chevy in the back seat (mid-engined of course) and managed to qualify it (same guy had the Corvair-powered Myers Manx that was the unbeatable slalom car in the region). The only time I ever saw it run, it looked pretty fast...shortly before it launched the flywheel, if I remember correctly. Seeing an old Corvair running with a gaggle of CanAm cars was quite a treat if you tend to root for the underdog,..

It's a stretch, but the car could maybe possibly have qualified for a CanAm event towards the rear of the pack if the project had continued.

Might be a fun one to have on the shelf sitting next to a McLaren and a 917. B)

...AND...a Porsche 908 Spyder won the 1970 CanAm at Road Atlanta here after the big cars all broke.   

96fcd32d350ef6ea27efeb3e94b3ca48.jpg   Yes, there is a 1/24 kit. There's also a 917 PA kit in 1/24 (RCM) :D

EDIT: It MAY take combining the 917PA bodywork and a 908-3 chassis to get a close model of the 908 Flounder Tony Dean won with.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

OK...a little off topic, but not really by much. and if anybody doesn't like it, I'll make it go away and say 30 hail-MCMs.

There's a very little-known car built locally (local to where I am) that wanted to be a CanAm car and might have made it except for a few unfortunate turns of fate.

In SCCA club racing in the late '60s- early '70s, ASR (A-sports racing) was the top class, pretty much run-whatcha-brung. The class was mostly "old" CanAm cars, and one well-known club racer usually had last season's cars.

An enterprising private entrant built a Corvair convertible with a big-block Chevy in the back seat (mid-engined of course) and managed to qualify it (same guy had the Corvair-powered Myers Manx that was the unbeatable slalom car in the region). The only time I ever saw it run, it looked pretty fast...shortly before it launched the flywheel, if I remember correctly. Seeing an old Corvair running with a gaggle of CanAm cars was quite a treat if you tend to root for the underdog,..

It's a stretch, but the car could maybe possibly have qualified for a CanAm event towards the rear of the pack if the project had continued.

Might be a fun one to have on the shelf sitting next to a McLaren and a 917. B)

A Porsche 914/8 spyder more or less.  Got any pictures of the car - would love to see it.

A Porsche 914/8 spyder more or less.  Got any pictures of the car - would love to see it.

The Corvair ASR 427 Spyder belonged to the son of the owner of Atlanta Orthodontics, If I remember correctly, and was painted red. I can't remember his name, and web searches have come up blank so far. I used to have tons of film and prints from those days, but they've all gone away over the years.

"Corvair Road Atlanta" showed some pretty wild cars under images and video. I was never a fan of Corvairs and guess I never pictured them as racers.

I searched the videos and came across a name I recognized. James Reeve was the guy who ran the crazy ASR Corvair. He did very well racing normal Corvairs too. 

...AND...a Porsche 908 Spyder won the 1970 CanAm at Road Atlanta here after the big cars all broke.   

96fcd32d350ef6ea27efeb3e94b3ca48.jpg   Yes, there is a 1/24 kit. There's also a 917 PA kit in 1/24 (RCM) :D

EDIT: It MAY take combining the 917PA bodywork and a 908-3 chassis to get a close model of the 908 Flounder Tony Dean won with.

Bill there's an outfit in Brazil called Two Cats Modellos that has a 1/24 Curbside of the 908/2.

I can't remember if the McLaren-Elva and Lola raced in the CanAm or only the USRRC. 

First off Howard, Nice shots. As to the Elva-McLaren and Lola T70's the answer is Yes. They ran in both. In Fact John Surtees driving a Lola T70 won the CanAm's first year overall.

AMT Corporation also did a little-remembered, small series of Can-Am cars in 1/25 scale as well--the one I remember most is the McLaren-Elva, which was a very simple, almost snap-tite styrene kit--about 1965-66.  There was but one run of that set, IIRC, they didn't sell at all well, and I've never seen them since (I have the McLaren Elva, buried someplace in my storage locker).

Art

AMT Corporation also did a little-remembered, small series of Can-Am cars in 1/25 scale as well--the one I remember most is the McLaren-Elva, which was a very simple, almost snap-tite styrene kit--about 1965-66.  There was but one run of that set, IIRC, they didn't sell at all well, and I've never seen them since (I have the McLaren Elva, buried someplace in my storage locker).

Art

Here's the box top from the Lola of that series. There was also a Chaparral 2 in the series. I guess if we want to get technical, these were really USRRC cars at the time the models were released, but the Lola T-70 and the McLaren-Elva did race in the Can-Am series.

AMT Lola-70

By the way, this site is a great resource for historical info on the Can-Am and other road racing series - entry lists and photos of most of the cars that raced:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo_canam.html