Model Cars Magazine Forum

New X-Acto Blades

A buddy gave me a pack of new blades that X-Acto makes. They are just like #11's but the cutting edge has a gold tint to them. I can't remember the name (X-Acto Platinum or something). These blades stay sharper longer. I've had the same blade in now for about two weeks and it is still as sharp as day one. I think they're great, FWIW. I'm not sure if they are any more expensive than normal # 11's since they were given to my buddy and he gave me a pack.

Try them out and see what you think.

Later-

Cool, i will have to look into them and give them a try. There was a hobby shop near me that had 5 #11 blades in a small tube and they were selling them for around $.89 cents! They always had a huge bucket on the counter of them and now they dont do that anymore :angry: !

Manny

How come i never got my FREE SAMPLE of those blades?....i sent in the email like it said for me to do and i even asked them several times....NOTHING!

dont expect me to buy any from those idiots .....they dont have really any good customer service if this happened not only to me but hundreds even thousands of other people! :angry:

I noticed Michael's and Hobby Lobby stopped carrying X-acto brand 100 blade packs, and now only has the 15 blade packs. I'm not sure if X-acto stopped making them in such large packs or if it's a distribution issue on the retail end, but the 100 packs were a great bargain for $15.00 or so.

FWIW, I tired the Revell packaged X-acto-like blades at Michael's and found them to be thinner and more flexible than the X-acto brand blades, so I won't buy the Revell brand again.

I'll have to pick up some of these new X-acto blades, though, so thanks for the heads up.

I also tried Revell's #5 blades and thought they sucked,there was a coating of oil on them and they just did'nt cut very good.You might find these new blades at Wal-mart as they sell E-xacto brand knives and blades.I think you can also get the 100 pack of E-xacto #5 blades from Micro-Mark.

I think the oil is there to keep the blades together, I think.

But, for a good bargain of blades I get the Xacto blade dispenser, has 15 blades and is about $4. As that is not as good of a deal as the 100 pack, you still get a dispenser :lol:

But my main choice of blades is the Excel #11. Five of them for something like a dollar, I think.

Edited by SuperStockAndy

Yes, that's them. Z series.

I think that they are sharper and, so far, they stay sharper longer. As a matter of fact, the one I have chucked up is still the first one. I also used it today to cut contact paper to put on my cupboard shelves under the sink and I am still using it tonight to cut parts from the sprue, with ease.

I don't know how much more expensive they are than regular though.

Later-

"O" Great, another way to cut your finger off quicker and cleaner.

Well, at least they'll be able to reattach it better with such a clean cut ;):D

I buy the blades in the 100 pack, change out a bit more them normal but at a 10cents a piece, I'll live with it.

Yaaaa, I know the price went up since then but I still got more than half a pack since then. :D

How come i never got my FREE SAMPLE of those blades?....i sent in the email like it said for me to do and i even asked them several times....NOTHING!

dont expect me to buy any from those idiots .....they dont have really any good customer service if this happened not only to me but hundreds even thousands of other people! :angry:

i never got mine either.

joe.

how sharp of a blade do you really need?

i ask because some use and swear by surgical scalpel blades. now i know a nice sharp blade works the best for doing foil work but is there a need for something super sharp like that in model building? anyone want to post some examples of where a scalpel blade works better than a #11?

I've never had a problem with good old #11 blades, either. Plenty sharp for whatever I need to do, including foil. And easily re-sharpened with a small sharpening stone.

I've never had a problem with good old #11 blades, either. Plenty sharp for whatever I need to do, including foil. And easily re-sharpened with a small sharpening stone.

geez...how did i forget i need to clean and resharpen mine anyways.....

even though i dont know how testors number 11s hold up to that type of work

how sharp of a blade do you really need?

i ask because some use and swear by surgical scalpel blades. now i know a nice sharp blade works the best for doing foil work but is there a need for something super sharp like that in model building? anyone want to post some examples of where a scalpel blade works better than a #11?

Dave, I use the exactos and scalpel blades equally,, the scalpel blades are fine for most things but if you are going to exert much pressure better to switch to the exacto.

Edited by scalenut

• 7 years later...