Model Cars Magazine Forum

Starting "Let's see your..." topics in Under Glass

I'm fairly new here so I may be off in left field(being from New England,I like to call it "Mannyland"),but it seems like there have been a lot of "Let's see your..." posts showing up in the Under Glass section lately.IMO, it's meant to be a "Trophy Case" for individuals to showcase their builds and having these posts mixed in seems to detract from their "time in the spotlight".I know I will tend to browse through them more quickly and usually end up missing some good builds when these posts are STARTED by someone that hasn't COMPLETED anything.Don't get me wrong,it's great to see different builds of the same cars in one place,but I think these posts should be for individuals,not a free for all.I know,I know,I don't have to click on those posts if I don't want to see them. I'm second guessing myself as I write this,so I know that this can be viewed a few different ways...not trying to stir up any feathers,just my two cents...anyone else see it that way? Or see it a different way for that matter?

Those topics are great way to see different types of builds from same subject, maybe everyone don't post new topic new build, but he/she posts some pictures from it to "Let's see your.." thread. (Badly said, but hope you understood something).

BUT I guess, it would be great to have sub forum for those "Lets see your..." threads. Or then it might get too crazy, and there are thousands of topics after few months, and then all subjects are already being shown.

But I think, Under Glass is the best place for them, and I don't know if I like them or not. ;)

Personally I like them, as Niko said one type is covered in the same thread. Searching isnt a big deal, but when I see a thread called show us your engines or Race cars, I'll check it out from beginning to end. I usually find great reference shots of something close to what I'm building, all in one place.

14 posts and he's complaining already. *sigh*

Go build something.

2.542 posts and still complaining. *Sigh* ...Seriously though. You are complaining about someone complaining. Does he have to have over 2.500 posts before he earns the right to mention what's bugging him? It took just as much building time for you to complain as him.If you don't agree with him, why not say that, instead of making assumptions. Perhaps he posted his complaint while waiting for the paint on his latest project to dry.

I see it differently.

- "Under Glass" doesn't imply anything else but being the section for finished models.

- Most people call a "show me your..." because they seek inspiration for their own variation of this theme. I would find it simply wrong to deny this to them.

- There is still enough space left for everybody to brag about his own achievements - and don't we all love it?

I agree with Christian.

"Under Glass" is for finished models, either from an individual builder or a group of people. It makes no difference how (or if) the models are grouped, as long as they're finished!

If anyone has a problem with "Show us your Whatever" type threads, you already know the answer: Don't click on it.

I asked to see some finished projects of a certain topic, and I felt that it was best posted on the "finished" side of this forum. I myself only get the chance to build 2 to 3 a season, and I can't say they are all worthy of being posted under glass them selves. But I would still like to see others quality work.

Actually, I've always felt a little sadness about the UNDER GLASS posts because I feel that it usually means the end of the ride for that vehicle. The builder finished it, we've seen it, but now it's part of styrene history. I'm always much more excited about the IN PROGRESS stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see finished models, but like I said, I get a little "down" knowing that it's finished . . . etc . . .

Which should be a nice thread to find out what folks can do to keep their built models alive!

I'll give one good reason why I start "show your" threads: because pictures don't always stay in threads. If people are using a photo sharing site, after a few years or whatever once their threads have moved down several pages on the forum, they may decide to delete the pictures. When this happens, you can't see the pictures if you open up an old thread. This is why search is a hit or miss affair for finding what you want (well that and finding out which words get you the results you want). Why search and find several threads with no pictures when you can simply ask and people can repost their pics in one spot?

Plus I don't see how these threads would detract from people's "time in the spotlight" as you put it. If it's an interesting build, then people will look at it and perhaps comment on it.

Actually, I've always felt a little sadness about the UNDER GLASS posts because I feel that it usually means the end of the ride for that vehicle. The builder finished it, we've seen it, but now it's part of styrene history. I'm always much more excited about the IN PROGRESS stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see finished models, but like I said, I get a little "down" knowing that it's finished . . . etc . . .

Which should be a nice thread to find out what folks can do to keep their built models alive!

It leaves you with an empty feeling inside.

Are they going into a case to be proudly displayed for all that visit to see or are they now going on a shelf and gathering dust?

Are they going back into the box only to be relegated to a space in the back of a dark closet, sweltering hot attic or musty old basement along with other forgotten finished models?

We just don't ever know what has become of these once great sources of joy that were built with tender loving care! :(;):):lol: