Model Cars Magazine Forum

SO YOU FINISHED YOUR MODEL, NOW WHAT?

Okay, I'm curious to find out from as many of you as it is possible, exactly what do you intend to do with your models after you finish them.

I know, we all keep them in cabinets, display cases, etc . . . but really? Is that it?

I keep them around and take the best care of them possible because every so often I like to shower with them (just kidding! LOL!) I just want to make sure you are paying attention.

Seriously, keeping your finished models around and playing with them periodically is as exciting to me as when I am first building them.

My favorite thing to do, as you already know, is to build dioramas and photo op bases so that I can continue to give my models a further life!

Do tell us, thank you.

Wow, what's bad is, the first thing I thought when you said you showered with them was "Oh no, I hope the holes in the shower drain are small enough to catch a mirror if it breaks off!" LOL

Go in the small display cabinet in our dining room, untill the wife has a wobbly & they go in the display cabinets in my garage.

If I ever built all my stash, I'd need a very big cabinet lol

Enlighten us 'Yanks', what's a 'Wobbly'? This side of the pond it would be too much to drink.

I usually lose interest once a model is finished. I take it to a few shows in the area, and then it is retired to the display case. Occasionally I'll show them to visitors, and on occasion I give them away because they like it more than I do. there are some though that hold special meaning to me, like this one that I built for my wife, Bobbi...

IMG_1651-vi.jpg

IMG_1687-vi.jpg

This I'll never get rid of because I added things that represent her, such as the cancer ribbon plate on the front, and other details that remind me of her like a sonic drink cup in the cup holder.

Darin, that's the best comment I've read at this forum since I became a member, some 150-odd posts ago. Thanks for sharing!!

Enlighten us 'Yanks', what's a 'Wobbly'? This side of the pond it would be too much to drink.

Oooops, lol. Having a wobbly is when your 'other half' gets cross with all the car stuff in the house.

Built a 28' x 14' garage to put my 1;1 57 Chevy in, along with worktops & cabinets ect. Nobody see's my builds up there, but in the dining room they do :)

Normally the new cars go in the house & the older builds relegated to the garage,

When I build, I try to get better as I progress. If the end result is a decent build then I will take them to contests. If the end result is less than stellar, then they get put in a display and on the shelf. The things I wonder about: if the model is sealed in a case, how is dust getting in? It's more of a ponder than looking for an answer.

When I take them to contests, I really don't care if I win. It's a social event for me and allows others to see my work. If I do win, I don't mind that either! I like answering questions that others ask about my models, but more importantly I like being the one asking the questions. Seeking knowledge is always a good thing.

I'm glad to hear lots of folks are addicted to the photographing of their models . . .

Wow, Scott, I have to confess I have never heard of this approach, but I don't see why not . . .

For me it's all about the building. Once the kit is assembled the finished project doesn't hold much value to me. I keep a photo album to document what I've done and it's a whole lot easier to maintain than a bunch of fragile completions. Recycling certain parts also helps keep the costs down. Recently retired and on a fixed income every little bit helps.