Model Cars Magazine Forum

gas station part #2

jerseyjunker1

Pay attention some of you diorama builders ! Yes , I'm speaking to you that build these "Squeeky clean - SUPER SANITARY garages that are on television, not in the "REAL WORLD". Manny has got it goin on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ed Shaver

You mean those "made for TV" garages aren't your typical shop????

Say it ain't so Ed!!! :lol:

IMHO , I must to state here . I worked for an Independent Pure Oil Station and a Company owned and managed Esso . The Women's Rest Room would be the nasty one . The manditory litter all over the floor is missing . I cleaned all in both places . The plunger is also missing in the Ladies Room . The rest of the place is perfect . Stained floors and a smite dusty . Somethings are missing . Oil racks , Wrapped Tires in Blue , Gold , and Red . Actually , these were used up and unusable worn out tires . These are for advertisment only . I had to wrap some of these tires at one time . The "Tape" was a bear to get right . Where is the Wash Rack and assorted stuff ? The manual Tire machine and repair cabinet for patches . The water filled tire shaped test tank for finding leaks .Where is the back room and the Propholaftics , Car Polish , Oil drums and the Pump assemblies to move the lubricants to the ceiling dispensers , Oil Filters and the main event : the Air Compressor ? Where is the back walled in or fenced where the Trash / reject tires / old exhaust / broken parts not having core value . These are just out the back door in the Shop area . This is before the Days of Dumptster . You can spend quite a long time making the details

The Esso I worked at was immediatly next door to the regional Office . The Manager was some kinda nut . There was a "listening ear" aimed at the pumps to make sure the Corporate Greeting was said to every Customer . "Good (insertime of day here) . May I fill your tank with Enco Extra and put a Tiger in your Tank ?" A reel to reel recorder was attached to this .Inside were voice activated reel to reel recorders . This is to let the boss know every thing happening while he wasn't there . We called this "I SPY" . He also had the attendents clean up the Rest Rooms and water fountains immdiatly folloowing each customer usage . A mirror was used by him to check no water spots existed under the spout , let alone anywhere in the whole Rest Room . We called our workplace "Dickies Hospital" . This place would be in the Movies and TV . When we did get Vehicle work , we wwere to wash the bay . The paint (rack ect.) was redone once a month . The floors cleaned (lime/soap concoctions of the day) daily and after every car on the rack unless there was another waiting . The Hospital smelled like ...a Hospital from all of the cleaning solutions constantly used there . BTW , the "I Spy" sent a radio signals to his house . Located an a parallel street , directly behind about 1/2 mile away .

I like your dio . It is a great build . One glance and one knows what this is . I hope I did not bore you with some history about Service Stations . Thanx ..

not at all. glad to have your input on the station. i still have some accessories to ad to it and as for a place for outside things like tires and mufflers and garbage this staton is acually part of a bigger diorama so that stuff will be on the layout.in the spring i will take more pictures of it. :)

How about some information on the source of all that cool stuff... the wrenches, the phone on the wall, all the bathroom stuff. Where is it all from?

i will try to remember most of what is in there. some of the items were in the danbury station when i got it.i just moved them or added things to them like the cigarette machine i added cigarettes and a mirror. the outside air conditoner i made from scrap things i had laying around the knobs are out of a 1964 chevy dash. the shelving came from a danbury mint coka cola truck i painted them aluminum color. a lot of the tools i scratch build and some come from kits or dollhouse. the lifts i made from car trailers and the poles are window parts. one lift can be locked in the up or down position and the other is battery operated to work.moving to the bathrooms. the mens room toilet is a cigarette lighter and it still works.lol cracks people up when they see fire coming out of it. the other toilet and the sinks are tootsie toy items i just aged them a little and added pipes. the rolls of toilet paper i made out of tissue glued on a small tube. the paper towel dispensers i scratch built from aluminum. the figures are just figures i had lying around .when i get a chance i will post some picture of it lit up at nite. underneath part will be set out of site on the junkyard diorama and one box enloses the workings for the auto lift and the clear box is for storing the outside items like pumps and other accessories. i have some other accessories like the tire machine and wheel balancer and a few other things that i have yet to put in.. hope this gives you some idea