Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 Mercury Convertible There is still life in that old AMT kit

Peter Lombardo

1949 AMT Mercury Coupe kit

Exterior : Top Removed…..windshield chopped, acetate “glass” installed……parts box sun visors…..custom “Carson” style convertible top made from two 1950 Ford convertible tops spliced together all covered with Suede texture paint and then topped with camouflage gray top coat……..convertible boot from Franklin Mint Chrysler convertible……photo-etched windshield wipers.....doors opened and hinged…..headlights frenched and peeked and headlight lenses are M.V. Products jewels……front turn signals recessed and M.V. Products amber jewels set….Desoto resin grille…..custom front roll pan……front bumper from Revell ’49 Mercury….. twin custom “S” air scoops crafted on hood…..hood hinges fabricated……Rear view mirrors from Dodge Copperhead roadster…..twin recessed antenna’s on left side rear quarter panel, midships…..resin bubble skirts’….. custom extended rear quarter panel with custom rear taillights….custom license plate housing recessed into trunk panel…..new hinges made for trunk panel…..rear roll pan with rear bumper from Revell ’49 Mercury….two tone paint scheme with HOK Snowflake pearl white over gloss pure white, HOK Tangelo Pearl, modified custom mix with a charcoal vinyl pinstripe at color break…..topped with a clear pearl highlight coat and clear followed by a coat of Future.

6773254421_e813660796.jpg

6773254951_2dafe68f26.jpg

6773255573_4e9270f65a.jpg

Engine/drivetrain : 2005 Chrysler 300 Hemi engine….custom engine bay engine faring…… tires from Revell 1959 Ford…….wheels from 1949 Mercury……1949 Mercury suspension lowered….front wheels pose-able.

6773256575_b9bfc31d27.jpg

Interior : front buckets from 2005 Chrysler 300…..rear seats, narrowed from Chrysler 300…..custom door panels with half round “tuck’n roll” upholstery……Tamiya Orange and Camouflage Gray color scheme…..dash decals from Revell 1949 Mercury (white face set).

6773256099_9751472507.jpg

Man oh Man this is right on, just love it, great job. Only question I have is, how did you do the hood scoops? I have tried this with no success.

Ok Dan, I hope this works....if I did this right there is a 15 slide, slide show that should make the process clearer for you. If you still have questions, please post it and I will address them....but I think you will be able to follow this.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here are fifteen thousand words on how I did the hood scoops. Click the link below and you should be able to follow along.

First off this method will build the scoops in two slightly different ways depending upon your preference. This hopefully will explain these two variations on the scoops. First, these scoops can be set up two different ways. The way I did them is to have a larger opening in front of the curved outer section so there is a larger opening; the other way is to have the opening recessed behind the outer section so that there is a much smaller opening. To do that, just move the curved outer section more forward to front of the opening and then glue it. Either way, this method will accomplish desired effect. Also, use the very thinnest styrene you have to make the outer covering section.

Edited by Peter Lombardo