Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help with Dodge Big Horn

I bought this resin Big Horn off EvilBay. I can't seem to find much in reference photos about what engine it had. I've Got the frame, Suspension, Fuel tanks and a bunch of oddball stuff gathered up for it. But no wheels or tires yet. I'll have to grab my camera out of the Jeep and take some pics. I'm not real pleased with how thick the casting is.

If anyone on here knows anything about these trucks, I would greatly appreciate the info.

Cummins NTC 290,NTC 350 or Detroit Diesel 8V71N or 8V71T very common. Spicer 16 speed such as AMT,s road boss or Diamond Reo kits, 10 or 13 speed fuller transmissions. US sold bighorns had reyco 4 spring rear suspensions, Canadian sold bighorns usually had hendrickson walking beams. Western stabilaire air ride was an option it's identical to the early Peterbilt air ride like AMt,s Pete 352 or California hauler . But the only Bighorn factory equiped with it was the prototype by the way still in existence and being fully restored. The old dodges.com website will give you all you could ever want to know about bighorns.

post-9266-0-67332400-1327769298_thumb.jp It's a seperate hood. Casting is VERY thick.

I'm in the process of gathering parts. I'm resin casting my own rear wheels for it, but I don't have any wheels to duplicate the fronts. Couldn't find anything on EvilBay either. Just have to keep hunting.

Edited by Dodge BigHorn

It appears to be the Resin Motor Replicas version. Not a bad replica but not right either. The cab is very close but the hood is way off. Nothing that can't be corrected though. Normally comes with cab floor and door panels and correct fuel tanks. Diamond reo tanks are close. Looking forward to seeing pics.

I'm using an old Revell Kenworth Frame. I'm not going for the stock look. The frame has airride and is considerably longer than the Diamond Reo frame. That and I don't want to chop up my Reo, It's still sealed in the box yet. With this frame the fuel tanks are not under the cab. I was thinking about an air dryer and a battery box with steps built into them for under the doors. If I can Find them, I'd like to put full fenders over the rear tires. I have a headache rack and a 100,000lb Tulsa winch I'd like to install on this build and make it an oilfield truck as some of the info I found show there were 18 of them used for the rigs. Just some thoughts I'm tossing around right now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
006-2.jpg008-2.jpgWell, I've gotten some more goodies mocked up on the frame. I think it looks pretty good. Mocking the cab and hood into place now. The castings are so thick that I'm not sure I want to try to hinge the hood. Any ideas on how to pull it off would be greatly appreciated.

Kinda torked off right now. Painted the cab and hood the other night and the paint orange peeled horribly. Even ate the primer off in places. I don't know if the paint was bad or if I didn't prep the the resin right.

On a good note, I got some mounts made up for the cab to sit on. BigHorn001-1.jpgBigHorn002-1.jpgBigHorn003.jpgBigHorn004-1.jpg