Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Mustang notchback GT racer

ShawnS

Hi all.

As a new guy checking in to your lovely little community I figure that I better show you some of my builds. This one is the '67 Mustang that won the 1967 Australian Touring Car Championship. It's a home conversion of AMT's '67 Mustang fastback into a notchback. I used the roof off of the old AMT '66 Mustang and custom built the rear seat and door panels. I made it as a curbside because I didn't have any reference pics of the real engine.

p1030693t.jpg

p1030690t.jpg

p1030689o.jpg

p1030695b.jpg

p1030688x.jpg

p1030692pm.jpg

The chassis is as standard with pipes from evergreen tube and front brake cooling ducts were scratched from evergreen too. I also scratched a winged sump.

pb240177.jpg

Australian Touring cars ran with full interior trim up untill the mid 80's so I added flocking as well as detail master belt hardware.

gtaint2.jpg

gta1nt1.jpg

The decals are made up from my spares box and its finished with BMF and MCG Photo-etch.

Thanks for looking. I will hopefully contribute a bit more over the coming year so keep an eye out for me. :)

Questions and comments always welcome.

CheersSS

that "other" magazine ran an article that may or may not have been written by one of our members on doing this very conversion... very instructive and makes me want to sacrifice a couple of Mustang kits to do one as well!

And unlike Shawn's model they did not do the rear window correctly so to me it was useless. I know how to swap tops....making the inset rear window is something I'd love to see a how-to.

And unlike Shawn's model they did not do the rear window correctly so to me it was useless. I know how to swap tops....making the inset rear window is something I'd love to see a how-to.

Thanks for the kind words guys I'm glad you like it.

All I did to modify the rear window was to run a wide strip of thin evergreen around the back window of the '66 roof. The '66 roof has a little step between the window and the roof and I glued the evergreen to that and blended it in. After a little putty and some careful sanding it'll look like it should

I did entertain the thought of a MCRC body for a while but because of the poor Aussie dollar at the time, I decided against it. I suppose it's one of those great mysteries as why there isn't one in styrene anyway. I would own about 20 of them if there was and I'm not alone there thats for sure.

Cheers

ShawnS

Edited by ShawnS

• 4 weeks later...