Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Playland Penny Arcade

KHamilton

The Arcade diorama has been on and off the bench for a LONG time, but this time around I'd

really like to get it done, hopefully for NNL East. The diorama will be based around some old

arcade games I got interested in building a while back and has been getting more complicated

ever since.

PB280007-vi.jpg

The story: A turn-of-the-century brick building was converted into an Art Deco arcade, which is

now being dismantled and torn down as the surrounding neighborhood deteriorates. An

adjoining building has already been demolished and the apartment house next door is trying

to hold on as long as it can.

Fast Forward: At the stage shown below, the apartment building is just almost done and

the Arcade has been mocked up, as has the base (rigid insulation) and the sidewalk & street.

The truck onto which the arcade games are being loaded has also been detailed.

PB270007-vi.jpg

Faster Forward: As of now, the street and sidewalk is done.....

PC240007-vi.jpg

...the ghost wall on the arcade is finished and the empty lot is being detailed......

P1280023-vi.jpg

...and the facade of the Arcade is shaping up:

P1280026-vi.jpg

If you're interested in all the in-progress pictures, here a link to the Fotki album:

http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/playland_penny_arcade/

Thanks for looking. More pics will follow as the scene develops.......

Edited by KHamilton

Ken..... Thank you for all the progress shots. Watching the scene come to life and how you achieve it, is a great inspiration for me.

I'm surprised to see you used the pink rigid insulation as the base. I used it once, but found that it warped badly when the landscaping materials were applied. Maybe I used too much water "wetting solution" when I did mine?

Since then I've been using prefinished closet shelving as a base. Very heavy.... but it doesn't warp and the paper(?) finish takes white glue nicely.

Tony

I'm surprised to see you used the pink rigid insulation as the base. I used it once, but found that it warped badly when the landscaping materials were applied. Maybe I used too much water "wetting solution" when I did mine?

I should clarify that. I do use rigid insulation a lot, but I always frame the outside edge with wood for a more finished look. That no doubt prevents any flexing.

PC110007-vi.jpg

I went through all of your Fokti pictures and studied each and every one. I am totally blown away by the amount of planning, exquisite detail and painstaking effort put into this. All of this for a few arcade games? You're too much!!

BTW - that is one of my favorite mini-scenes too. Just needs a few cobwebs.

I've gotta get your book now.

Edited by gasser59

I've been holding off asking..... but I can't help but wonder where that magnificent fire escape came from. It's difficult to believe you build it piece by piece! Is it a proprietory item from some plastic kit.... or do you really have the eyesight and manual dexterity to put that together from bits of plastic... or metal staples or something???

Tony

I've been holding off asking..... but I can't help but wonder where that magnificent fire escape came from. It's difficult to believe you build it piece by piece! Is it a proprietory item from some plastic kit.... or do you really have the eyesight and manual dexterity to put that together from bits of plastic... or metal staples or something???

Tony

To answer your ? Tony he made it. It's a photoetch piece he has. You can see it all here.

http://www.wildharemodels.com/

Tony, a 1/24th-scale fire escape is one of the first things I did a few years ago

when I started playing with photo etching:

P9060002-vi.jpg

I used some of the pieces for the apartment building fire escape. The white parts

in the photo are styrene, the other pieces are sections of the etched fire escape

(mainly the railing, deck and stairway treads)...

P1020007-vi.jpg

I don't sell any 1/24th scale fire escapes on the Wildhare Models website.

they're HO (1/87th) and O (1/48th) scales

Just for fun, here's an HO-scale diorama I did with 1/87th fire escapes:

Outdoor29-vi.jpg

http://public.fotki....pm-storefronts/

Ooo....OOOO....I know, Cranky..! It's regular, old, hardware store, aluminum window screen!

Here are a couple other progress pictures. The meters and conduit on the apartment house

wall overlooking the alley are now in place, just to give that wall some visual interest.

P2110001-vi.jpg

P2110004-vi.jpg

The wall will only be seen from one angle - from the street looking down the alley.

The viewer will have to peek over 7' wooden gate at the end of the alley to see the meters

AlleyWall2-vi.jpg