Model Cars Magazine Forum

Happy Birthday Dr. Cranky!

Best Birthday wishes to the good Doctor!!

Hey Virgil, Seems like just yesterday you were ###### Cranky, now you are a Doctor, guess you are getting better with age!!! Hope you have many, many more healthy and happy birthdays, now I am off to enjoy a Scrapple Sandwish as a tribute to you. Have fun!!

Mike

Dr......glad you had a great B`day.......I have one question for you?........what is in a Scrapple sandwich?......how do you make one?......what are the ingredients?........ can you provide us with a picture of one?......where can we get them?.........maybe you can start selling them.........does it have the same effect on you as a can of spinach has on Popeye?........inquiry minds want to know?

Edited by John Teresi

LOL, John! (Oh-oh, book plug coming right up!)

There's a recipe for Doctor Cranky's infamous Scrapple Sandwich in my book which describes the process by which I go about making a great HOT SCRAPPLE SANDWICH.

I will try to paraphrase here:

SCRAPPLE is one of those mystery meats (like SPAM, but it is nothing LIKE SPAM) which you can buy in block form.

What I do is I cut off 1/4" thick slice and fry it up in a little bit of salted butter until it is crispy around the edges. You can saute some rings of Sweet Vidalia onions at the same time.

Slice open a 12" loaf of your favorite Italian or French bread, drizzle some olive oil, sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste.

Thin cut some green tomatoes, add them to the bread halves and top with the Scrapple and onions. You can dress it up with some French mustard, pickles, garlic, a little mayo if you prefer.

And THAT'S IT! It's going to boost your energy (in particular during the winter months) and give you lots of "brain" food for the brain.

Oh and I think you can order it from many places in the East Coast.

Best, DC

LOL, John! (Oh-oh, book plug coming right up!)

There's a recipe for Doctor Cranky's infamous Scrapple Sandwich in my book which describes the process by which I go about making a great HOT SCRAPPLE SANDWICH.

I will try to paraphrase here:

SCRAPPLE is one of those mystery meats (like SPAM, but it is nothing LIKE SPAM) which you can buy in block form.

What I do is I cut off 1/4" thick slice and fry it up in a little bit of salted butter until it is crispy around the edges. You can saute some rings of Sweet Vidalia onions at the same time.

Slice open a 12" loaf of your favorite Italian or French bread, drizzle some olive oil, sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste.

Thin cut some green tomatoes, add them to the bread halves and top with the Scrapple and onions. You can dress it up with some French mustard, pickles, garlic, a little mayo if you prefer.

And THAT'S IT! It's going to boost your energy (in particular during the winter months) and give you lots of "brain" food for the brain.

Oh and I think you can order it from many places in the East Coast.

Best, DC

Dr. .......Oh my God!.......my mouth is salivating.......thank you so much for the recipe ........I can`t wait to make one.......hopefully the west coast will be introduced the to the Scrapple sandwich........Dr. please! next time yo make a Scrapple sandwich send us a picture of it.......thanks again

From Wikipedia:

Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name pon haus, is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste.

Yikes... :blink:

From Wikipedia:

Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name pon haus, is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste.

Yikes... :blink:

:wub:

"The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste."

I don't know... somehow that doesn't sound very appealing to me...

But all that scrapple that I won't eat means more for you guys! :lol:

Not for me.....I'll pass on the scrapple, mountain oysters and chitlins!

Scrapple......"Everything but the oink" or made with "everything but the squeal",scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others, are added. The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.

A few manufacturers have introduced beef and turkey varieties and color the loaf to retain the traditional coloration derived from the original pork liver base. Home recipes for chicken and turkey scrapple are also available.

Chitterlings sometimes spelled chitlins or chittlins are the intestines of a pig, although cows and other animals' intestines are similarly used, that have been prepared as food. In various countries across the world, such food is prepared and eaten either as part of a daily diet, or at special events, holidays or religious festivities.

I'm not even going to into what mountain oysters are....trust me...I don't think you want 'em!

From Global Gourmet.com...

But what parts of the hog go into the creation of scrapple? After the ham, bacon, chops and other cuts of meat are taken from the butchered pig, what remains are fixings for scrapple, including the meat scraped off the head. Scrapple may contain skin, heart, liver, tongue—even pork brains. Those faint of palate needn't venture any further.

Note: also may contain pig eyeballs. They don't waste anything when they make scrapple!

:o