Model Cars Magazine Forum

1976 Pontiac Safari Wagon Demo Car

I started this build about a month ago. I just work on it here and there when I have the time. Its for a contest in september so I have plenty of time. I started with the amt 76 caprice. The body is really rough and still needs alot of work. I'm calling it a pontiac because the I will be modifing the rear to look like one. However the front clip will be a 76 caprice clip. Im doing this because Im going with a stock body color so I can weather it to look old and rusty. The front clip will be a different color since its supposed to be from a different car. Hopefully I can score more points by doing this. If you look in the picture the the body is cut out behind the wheel opening in the back. Since the gas tank is located there on the real cars when the body bends it gets into the tires really bad. For the frame I will be using a 67 impala frame and tub that will be heavily modified.

761590ae.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have started on this car again after a little break. I did change my mind on the build calling it a pontiac. Since I didnt convert the front clip Im just calling it a 1976 caprice estate wagon. I will reshape the rear to make it look more like one. The engine Im using is the ls1 from the 2002 camaro. It will have a combination of parts from the 99 chevy silverado because some are better than others. Last night I put some more detail in the door post.

1863c929.jpg

Edited by 502

• 4 weeks later...

Heres some more progress. I cut the rear posts down, started on the tailgate and tailights. I am using a frame from the 1967 impala which is different from a 1976 caprice. I cut the rear frame off in front of the humps and cut the frame in front of the a arms. I took the horns from the 70 monte and put them on. I took the hump from the 67 frame after cutting it off and used it as a template for my new rails. The frame from in front of the humps back on these cars is c-channel which is the main readon for making the new rails.

44095f5c.jpg

ed09a189.jpg

985cd287.jpg

As you can see theres still alot of work left on the passenger side.

6fc01107.jpg

Edited by 502

• 2 months later...

Some may have thought this project was abandoned. After a couple months of not working on it and almost selling it I have found new inspiration for this build. It looks alot different now as you can see.

08afdb2b.jpg

c5c3b7b7.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started on the motor. I am using the motor from the 66 chevelle wagon but I cut the tranny off to switch it to one of amt's ford trucks because its really detailed. I started on my cradle and protector, which is supposed to look like the m1 extreme setup.

a9e88807.jpg

136726e8.jpg

622b582c.jpg

Edited by 502

Harvest Havoc 3 is the contest. Last year I think there was around 100 entries.The deadline is September 21 & 28, its two days be cause of the multiple classes. The contest is on crazyjsplace.proboards.com however there isnt much activity on the site. If your looking for a site all about derby models check out scale-demo.proboards.com

I decided I would make my own rear wheels. I made them to look like woodward custom wheels that alot of people run on their cars now. This was the 4th attempt, finally found a method that works.

e0affca4.jpg

f235bcb5.jpg

9788d50e.jpg

Had a change of plans, I was putting this on hold but I decided to go ahead and build it. I changed motors to an LS engine but I kept the same tranny. I started scratch building the firewall tonight. Hope to make it to Derby City Shootout with this car but we will see.

4583f9ce.jpg

71ddee3f.jpg

3f1a801d.jpg

aa02d921.jpg

771f1a97.jpg

cd9a574b.jpg

ce6f93d8.jpg

2bef14e1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started this build about a month ago. I just work on it here and there when I have the time. Its for a contest in september so I have plenty of time. I started with the amt 76 caprice. The body is really rough and still needs alot of work. I'm calling it a pontiac because the I will be modifing the rear to look like one. However the front clip will be a 76 caprice clip. Im doing this because Im going with a stock body color so I can weather it to look old and rusty. The front clip will be a different color since its supposed to be from a different car. Hopefully I can score more points by doing this. If you look in the picture the the body is cut out behind the wheel opening in the back. Since the gas tank is located there on the real cars when the body bends it gets into the tires really bad. For the frame I will be using a 67 impala frame and tub that will be heavily modified.

761590ae.jpg