Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 Camaro Pro Mod...5.3.12

hOLMS

Hello all....new year, new project. I found this little Camaro at a local wally-world as a MAITO remote control car, 1/25. I thought it was cool, so picked it up and started hacking as usual.

I've been wanting to do a Camaro P/M for a really long time and thought this would be a good place to start. Once this one makes it to where some of my others are, I will hopefully probe them at work to generate my 3D models and maybe experiment with some 3D-printed protos, still a ways to go though.

I started by ripping out the chassis and trying to figure out what next, wheelbase looked close without adding between the wheels...I did add around 3/16" actual behind the front wheels with cut and formed opening inserts. This also helps to figure out the style of wheel opening.

Also, out came a portion of the top, around 7/16" actual. The top is pretty close now after an angle adjust and the plan is to lay back the A-Pillar angles close to their original location.

The nose has rec'd the most work so far, still working on fine tuning the overall nose shape, actually I'm a little over the 45" spec for the 1:1's...I'll have to fix that.

Hope you follow along and enjoy the trip. I plan on trying a couple different things to help the overall profile that I've never done before, hope it works. Thanks for looking!!

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

Edited by hOLMS

Looks pretty darn cool Jeff! Here are some photo's I pulled really quick, to get you back to that 45" really if anything you just need to pull your Chin back because they are pretty much straight up and down.

It looks like the prelim photos of your car your top is cut to short, vs. the way these are set up.

BDMS-PR-600x264.jpg

CastellanaRJ2012CamaroSide.jpg

A suggestion may be to Sag that back end down some more and that will reduce your wedge some as well. And I think, not sure I would have to spend more time but that darn back window looks laid down. This Camaro is one heck of a modified Ride.... so I commend you, on taking this thing on full fledged. With one nice start... I always cringe when I cut into a body, because that is the point of no return! :lol:

Now keep in mind these are NHRA Pro Mod's so the wheelbase is only 100" vs. if they were going to be ADRL, I am sure they would be pulling them out to the 115" wheelbase Max number.

Keep up the Awesome work, and excited to get your work to the point where you can possibly do some 3D modelling I will have to keep an eye out for that! Keep them progress pics coming!

ReliableResin has had one of these bodys for ages,same style as yours as well

I am sure Reliable Resins has had one for some time. But Resin is a pain, knowing it will be thicker that needed and would have to thin it down. I am sure Jeff can turn out a much better product, as some of the pro mod stuff is out of scale.

Thanks for following along guys. I've been able to do a little more to the Camaro. I still have a fair amount of work/plans to go, so hang in there with me.

Bart, thanks for sharing the info. I have had good plans for this one from the start which included some of the suggestions you had. As for trying to copy what the current 1:1's look like, really not my style. I prefer to give it a go and see how things shape-up or not...lol.

Thanks for looking and hope to have more updates soon.

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

CPM020312b4aft.jpg

It's looking great, Jeff! I have a question for you... You have it designed in your mind's eye, but I'm curious if it could stand to have more length in the quarters behind the wheel well opening... Not to make more work, but I've been looking at some of the new Pro Stocks (I know this isn't a Pro Stock) and it seems that at least some of them not only slope the rear of the body, but also lengthen the rear deck/quarters, I'm sure for more down force. Just tossing it out there! I love it, either way.

Edited by futurattraction

Good eye Scott, I had that very topic run thru my head while working on the rear. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do there. I first thought that I could extend the bumper, scratch my wing and see where it goes. One of two ways, I certainly have much more to do. Thanks.

Hey Jeff. I thought of something after I went to bed last night. Felt kind of dumb for not having thought of it before I posted, but it was too late to edit my post. From an aesthetic standpoint, the longer deck lid/quarters might still merit consideration, but on the other hand, as a Pro Mod, they run so much spoiler that the down force issue that may be present with a much more limited-spoiler Pro Stock car probably doesn't come into play. So...it really probably comes down to aesthetics,

Thanks for looking in. I've been able to do some more.

This time I've re-shaped the front fenderwell, more a-pillar work and chopped the top 1mm in the back. I've also pulled the bottom of the front airdam back toward the rear of the car and curved that section...

Next on the list is to add another 2mm to the nose length, add the grill insert and start filling/smoothing. Then I should be able to move to the back and shape it up, maybe start my rear wing. I still think I'll add another 1-2mm behind the rear wheels to lengthen it up a bit.

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

CPM020612b4aft.jpg