Model Cars Magazine Forum

I was just wondering has anyone ever heard or seen of a 1960 Ford F250 4x4 model truck. The only 1960 ford truck I have seen was a f100 2 wheel drive so I thought about taking a f100 long box making all of the body and frame mods in order to make it stock and then I figure I would take a four wheel drive bronco or explorer to make it the original 4x4 or I would like to find out if they ever did make a f250 I could just do the axle and t case swap. Thanks for all the time

The only kitted 1960 Ford truck was the F-100, and in short box form only. The kit was only made in 59-60, also, therefore they are hard to find and expensive 52 years later. Ford started equipping F-series trucks with factory four wheel drive in 1959; before then it was sub-contracted out.

In order to build an accurate depiction of a 1960 F-250 with four wheel drive, you'll need a 1960 F-100 cab and two beds. Slice and dice the beds to create the 8-foot version if desired, otherwise leave it as is for a 6-foot version (8-foot would be more likely at the time). For a frame you'll need to ditch the kit's one-piece plate and get a frame from a Revell 1956 F-100. Stretch as necessary. You'll need a straight axle for the front as well as leaf springs; the axle in the 1973-1979 F-350 kits or 1979 Bronco kits would work beautifully or you can get another 56 F-100 rear axle and modify it for front axle duty (make sure it has a driver's side pumpkin). Just about any transfer case would do, but if you're using the 73-79 F-350 or Bronco for the front axle the transfer case from that kit would be best.

In 1960 available engines were 223ci 6-cylinder (available in resin) or a 272ci or 292ci Y-block (from the 56 F-100 kit). Also, in 1960 a four wheel drive pickup would be a workhorse; manual transmission would be the norm.

I hope this helps! B)

So if I am reading this right I will be able to get pretty close to what I want with a 60 f100 and a 56 f100. And I recall seeing a longbox on ebay for sale probably still is for like 45 bucks. then I could probably just buy a bronco kit and getter done. Or is there another kit I would need also?

57-60 and 61-66 cabs are completely different. If you're looking to build a 63 then you'll need a 61-63 kit as a starter. Yes, they're expensive (I just bought one for $51) but they're amazing kits for body detail if you can get an unmolested example. The problem, however, is that the AMT kits are for a longbed unibody. You can cut the bed off, but if you're looking for period accuracy you'll need to do something about the back window (unibody had its own, special window not seen on regular cabs). I'm not too fussy on the accuracy on mine so I'm not worrying about the window... :)

Motor City Resin has an excellent new '66 short bed transkit that would get you the body ($72.50 shipped) & I think Modelhaus has the '63-'64 grille that might work on it? The rear wheel openings are different on the unibody also.

Edited by Bartster

kataranga, I believe you are mistaken about the AMT '60 shortbed - it was a longbed that AMT produced.

For '61-'64, 4x4 Fords used the earlier '57-'60 fleetside longbox or a stepside longbox was also available.

Bartster - grilles are year-unique from '61-'66.

kataranga, I believe you are mistaken about the AMT '60 shortbed - it was a longbed that AMT produced.

My bad. I should've known better as I believe the chassis pan is all the same for the 60-63 kits (and maybe even the Chev ones too).

Look in my thread on my restoration of a glue bomb 1960 Ford long bed pickup here.... http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41675

If you can find even a glue bomb on eBay or somewhere, Modelhaus makes a lot of parts to restore one. They make taillights, wheels, hubcaps, glass, hoods, front bumper/grilles, rear bumpers, hood emblems and a chassis. Unfortunately they don't list a complete body!

Was the ertl truck converted or was that original? My conversion will probably get pushed done the road a ways since I am currently waiting on a 1966 ford galaxie. The 60 will come before the 63 and then I have always thought about doing an 1952 f2 and f3 marmon herrington conversion but that will cost some $$$$$ if they even ever made a 1952 truck. How easy are they conversion since I have never done one before and this 66 will be my first build since it just popped up on ebay a few days ago I have always been looking for a good kit to start with and I finally found it.

Idk why but the 61-66 F-series is my new favourite classic truck. Just love those lines! :wub:

The big auction website: its eBay. No idea why some folk are hush hush about it... :unsure:

Anyways. There are resin conversion kits available to convert the Revell 50 F-1 to a 52. And the AMT 53 F-100s are a dime a dozen. B)