Model Cars Magazine Forum

Disabled modeler what did you end up paying for your 63? did you buy it as a 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive? I would love to buy the 60 on ebay right now but I am playing the waiting game on my 66 galaxie that is getting shipped out of texas gonna be monday or tuesday until I get it and then I have to build it so by the time I am done hopefully that other one will still be on ebay. I hate to start two projects at once. If i end up getting the 60 off ebay then I hope another one wont pop up cheap cause the conversion will probably take a while.

Actually, the cab changed in 65, when they switched to the new Twin-I-Beam suspension. The biggest differences are the floor, steering column orientation, and the dash.

cabs.jpg

And here's the yearly grilles, '61-'66.

grilles.jpg

Those are the correct images for the grille for each year. The information is off on the interiors.

The dash on the left is the standard cab, the one on the right is the Custom Cab. My dad and grandfather both own 1966 models- my grandfather's is a base model and has the dash as seen in the left photo, while my father's Custom Cab has the dash seen in the right photo. 1965 models were the same way, but I can't vouch for the '64 and older trucks.

Disabled modeler what did you end up paying for your 63? did you buy it as a 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive? I would love to buy the 60 on ebay right now but I am playing the waiting game on my 66 galaxie that is getting shipped out of texas gonna be monday or tuesday until I get it and then I have to build it so by the time I am done hopefully that other one will still be on ebay. I hate to start two projects at once. If i end up getting the 60 off ebay then I hope another one wont pop up cheap cause the conversion will probably take a while.

I got my two 61 to 63 Fords(2WD) from my dads old collection of about 75 cars/trucks or so....still looking for parts to repair/restore them. Its kind of a life goal to get them restored and put in cases so they will be around for a long time to come. The parts needed list is huge and have had very little luck so far with them...bummer.

Edited by disabled modeler

Those are the correct images for the grille for each year. The information is off on the interiors.

The dash on the left is the standard cab, the one on the right is the Custom Cab. My dad and grandfather both own 1966 models- my grandfather's is a base model and has the dash as seen in the left photo, while my father's Custom Cab has the dash seen in the right photo. 1965 models were the same way, but I can't vouch for the '64 and older trucks.

Didn't know that about the dashes. I was noticing more the floors... :)

Does anyone know where I can pick a 1960 f100 up at without breaking the bank?

You're just going to have to wait it out and hope one comes along cheaply, I'm afraid. The only other option is to keep watching website like Spotlight Hobbies and Fred's Model World for old built-ups. But, chances are they'll disappear quickly.

Edited by kataranga

kataranga have you ever seen a 51 52 model truck or have you ever seen just a grille? Thanks for all the info I will have to come back to this thread when I get a 60. Probably gonna be a while because I just got my 66 galaxie in the mail today so probably gonna have to start a thread about that aways down the road. Do you have a 60 for sale kataranga? Thanks again

Sorry, I only have a 62 and a 63. On the prowl for a 60, though. One of these days...

As for the 51-52, I think you need more than just the grille as the opening is wider than a 48-50. As you can see here, the hood is a bit different, also.

f1grilles.jpg

In order to get the grille to fit, you may be able to modify the front of a '50 F-1 using the grille recess from an AMT '53 F-100, Monogram '55 F-100, or a Revell '56 F-100, whichever fits the best. The '51-'52 grille and dash is available from Ken Kitchen. He doesn't have a price listed, however. And I don't know if he still makes them as the album as last updated 7 years ago...

There was such a beast known as the Marmon-Herrington Ranger, which was an F-1 (later F-100) panel van, converted to four wheel drive and passenger duty. They installed rear seats and cut out windows. I plan on building one, eventually. B)

1948-1952-ford-fseries-trucks-10.jpg