Model Cars Magazine Forum

Harbor Freight Score

Years ago I helped a friend paint his garage floor in Phoenix with epoxy. We wore respirators and used rollers, thought we had all the precautions taken care of. We both had real car painting experience, but apparently my respirator had never been used this long at one time and in such a confined space and I found out the hard way how long it could filter. At least his respirator held up and he was able to finish the last 20 or so minutes.

I had a paint buzz almost the whole day. Took a few beers that evening to get rid of it. :huh:

I have reactions/sensitivity to epoxy,, spending many years building High power rockets.. not wearing a mask or the right gloves while applying fiberglass and sanding.

in an enclosed garage.it built up in my system over time .

In the beginning ,It didn't bother me so I figured why bother.I must be immune to it

what I didn't realize is these chemicals accumulate in your system, and it's that accumulation that will get you.

now I know better.

so for anyone that might think "it doesn't bother me when I paint without a mask or gloves"

eventually it will build up in your system, and it never goes away.

I can hardly be in the same room with the industrial epoxys without breaking out , turning red and itchy

and feeling prickly all over..And it will always be that way.

I just happen to be more susceptible to it.. and it had an impact on the hobby for me.

once you build an allergy, there's nothing you can do about it

i think Bill Geary had some tips he posted here at some point on proper fitment of the mask to your face, if you have facial hair it's a little more important as the hair can prevent the mask from fitting right.

Tip from me:

Use tan or green masking tape around the perimeter of the mask, right onto your skin. Blue tape not sticky enough. The others ain't fun to remove but certainly bearable. Dunno about full beard guys but it works on two-day old stubble.

Works and lasts until the end of a paint session.

• 2 weeks later...

Today we stopped at Harbor Freight for the regulator I needed for my airbrush...

100_1464.jpg

It's so hard to go in there and not blow $1000.... But everything on my cutting mat is what I got for $27.

Those quick ratchet clamps are also really good for shaking up your paint bottles. I had to grind the end down on my a bit and I put it in my jig saw, clamped the bottle down on it and pressed the trigger about 1/2 way. Shakes them up real good and saves my arm from feeling like jello afterward.

As far as the trap goes, you may want to look into an inline filter as well to put on your main compressor line right before your airbrush hose. I get them for my Eastwood powfercoating gun. Little black ding dong looking guys, just because you say your compressor has an oiler....doesn't mix with paint real well. You might give them a shot. They will last for quite a wile on an air brush, and really aren't to spendy

Any ideas where I could pick one of those up or maybe post a picture of what it looks like. I have a water trap on my compressor right after the regulator but was thinking of adding an additional water/oil trap after that but before my airbrush hose. It's a brand new oiled compressor I got from HF so it probably will spit out a little bit of oil too, I assume.

NAPA is where I picked up my repirator..great quality, for a reasonable price. Great paint selections as well. They mix up anything I want for the same price as a can of Tamiya.

I wasn't aware that NAPA could mix up paints, at least I've never looked for it. What size do they do and what's the approx. price on them. I assume they are mixed in a can or bottle?

Andy... awesome score on the harbor freight stuff. gotta love some of the deals they have. i would highly recommend a respirator when painting. I personally use a 3M brand that i got from the auto body supply store i get my PPG paint from. i spent about 30 bucks on mine. I also suggestone from a auto.body supply store because they are a little different.from.ones.you see at home depot or lowes. The biggest difference is the filter cartridge that is in them.

Edited by Mooneyzs