Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making my own license plates

However, you need to check how recent the license plates are on those sites. Just the other day, I was checking Tennessee plates on one of them and they didn't have the current design. I found what I needed by a simple Google Images search for blank Tennessee license plate, which yielded the proper result and is easy to adapt for custom numbers.

Rob, http://www.licensepl...h-columbia.html

You can just type in what you want on the plate and it automatically puts it in the correct font and color, just right click and import it to miscrosoft word, resize, then print.

Nick

And if you do not have the proper font....do a search for the font you need, download, unzip and load into windows fonts folder. then you can type the correct font

I did this for another person and when reduced the fonts are dead on and level.....I have found at least 12 plate font sets online that I use

FSUBTD.jpg

Edited by MikeMc

We got new license plates here in NB in 2009 and nobody has them on their websites... Our plate designs are the same no matter what they're going on, however there are slight variations for veterans, firefighters, antiques, amputees, seasonal and conservation (I have a buck on my truck :)). Fortunately, when they released the new plates there was a press release with beautiful large pictures of each variation. I can modify plates as I see fit. The only font I have, however, is for German EU plates. I'll have to go digging for fonts and see if I can find the one we use here.

Rob, I started printing my plates on photo paper, they come out much better on photo paper then decal paper for me. I use double side clear tape to attach them to the model.

That is a great idea Jonathon.

I'll have to find some double sided clear tape. Is it like carpet tape?

Once you find the right image that you are searching for whether it be already existing or you make your own custom plate using the Acme site or whatever, the easiest way (that I have found) is simply laying out your decals in a Word document and printing them out from there. No pricey graphics programs needed, just a basic computer tool if you have it loaded in your own.

I also print my decals onto photo paper and merely glue them in place. No double sided tape needed.

Before the days of nice printers I had one of those 'scratch' letter sets I would use to make custom plates. Worked great but photoshop is much easier.

Once you find the right image that you are searching for whether it be already existing or you make your own custom plate using the Acme site or whatever, the easiest way (that I have found) is simply laying out your decals in a Word document and printing them out from there. No pricey graphics programs needed, just a basic computer tool if you have it loaded in your own.

I also print my decals onto photo paper and merely glue them in place. No double sided tape needed.

Thats what I do for all my plates, and or decal making

Your correct.....Takes way too much time in PS

I like to use Open Office Draw for my plates.

I'll go to one of the plate sites, or find one on the Internet, copy and paste the picture, and Draw makes it very easy to reduce the plate.

One word of caution, Draw does not save in normal files, like .bmp or .jpg, but it will cut and paste into Paint, which does, very easily. I don't use Paint because I don't like how it works for this type of stuff. Draw, and all of Open Office, will, however, save as a .pdf, which is nice.

I can make entire sheets of license plates in draw in less than half an hour. For standard U.S./Canadian plates, set it to 0.47" wide by 0.23" high, and that's almost exact (+/- 0.0001".)

Charlie Larkin