Model Cars Magazine Forum

California Charger F.E.D. update

Bill....you realize I can't look at another chromed plastic clutch can and be satisfied, right? You've ruined it for me :) I can only imagine what's rolling around your head with all the new pictures exposing details you hadn't seen before....keep up this awesome build and sharing your details and tricks with us.....

Bill....you realize I can't look at another chromed plastic clutch can and be satisfied, right? You've ruined it for me :) I can only imagine what's rolling around your head with all the new pictures exposing details you hadn't seen before....keep up this awesome build and sharing your details and tricks with us.....

sorry Kevin LOL, aluminum is not for every body, just things I have all ways wanted to do and figured this was the perfect project for it, one of the most beatiful dragsters to ever go down the quarter mile!! thanks for following along and all the help!

Wow, Bill; there is absolutely nothing better when you're building a replica than to have one of the principles drop in for a look-see. The job you are doing deserves it, though.

I saw some of these parts at our local KC Slammers club meeting earlier this week and it was like looking at fine jewelry.

I cannot compliment you enough on the workmanship.

thanks Alyn, all ways look forward to seein you at the meetings and exchanging ideas, keep up the awesome work on the Catalina!

Just awesome! ya think after decades of building, you're perfecting your craft. Then you see stuff like this and it knocks you back down a few steps. :unsure:

This is dangerous territory for me. I've been looking for used laths/mills on ebay for awhile. Plus it's only the starting point. All of those extra's cost alot too. When does it stop? Now were printing parts, buying motors and turned parts... I'll just leave it at that. We all stuggle with this kind of stuff. New TV and computer or laths/mills...?

What paint did you use on the frame? Did you use a semigloss clear over it? Did you make the valve covers? using a lathe? How did you cut the red line inside the hat? Tape...decal...perhaps magic?

Great job Bill. This will be a stunning build!

:P

Bill, this is a beautiful build man. Love your replication of the fuel sys. and just awesome craftsmanship in your alum. work.

Charlie

Pro Tech

thank you Len, maybe if I keep at it you can see it finished at the Heartland Nats. if you are able to make it up this year, (we are hoping you can make it)

I appreciate that Charlie, only had a few pics to go by when I did the fuel system, Jerry fixed me up with some good ones to go by now , might have to redo a couple things!

Just awesome! ya think after decades of building, you're perfecting your craft. Then you see stuff like this and it knocks you back down a few steps. :unsure:

This is dangerous territory for me. I've been looking for used laths/mills on ebay for awhile. Plus it's only the starting point. All of those extra's cost alot too. When does it stop? Now were printing parts, buying motors and turned parts... I'll just leave it at that. We all stuggle with this kind of stuff. New TV and computer or laths/mills...?

What paint did you use on the frame? Did you use a semigloss clear over it? Did you make the valve covers? using a lathe? How did you cut the red line inside the hat? Tape...decal...perhaps magic?

thanks Jack I highly reccomend you get a lathe if you are the least bit interested in it, I have allways been interested in having one, didn't know what todo with it after I got it, LOL so I chucked up a piece of aluminum and havent looked back! all of the assy's can get expensive, got most of mine at harbor freight and it all seems to work pretty good, waiting on a mill now, got another month before it's here, cant wait!!

I used DuPont Chromasystem B/C on the frame and engine, < I do collision repair for a living, just used masking tape on the blower hat to paint the red inside, pretty sure it wasn't magic LOL

I did make the valve covers on my lathe, had to turn it into a redneck mill, but they turned out pretty good for my first setIMG_0265-vi.jpgIMG_0300-vi.jpgIMG_0306-vi.jpg I hated to cut the fins on top, they looked pretty sweet smooth, LOLIMG_0316-vi.jpgcompleted set with out the blue between the fins

You guys blow me away with the scratchbuilding. Beautiful.

Mr Clayton- nice pants ! I can joke about it because I had a pair of striped jeans in 1970. I think it's great that you are helping him with all these pics for reference. We all appreciate it and look forward to the results. That rail was beautiful and can't wait to see it restored.

I am still blown away by this build. It is beautiful and all of the turned aluminum parts make me want to finally go and buy my mini lathe and mini end mill already....lol. Bill I have to ask and I may of once already but what brand and how big is your lathe you are using?

that's some VERY nice machining bill. the rest of the model is spotless. i would go on but, i think it's almost all been said. i'll need to save something for the end! hehe. if you need anything.......... yell!

that's quite a compliment Dave! not nearly as precise as the stuff you turn out, I DID order a mill! can't wait to get my hands on it!! thanks for lookin in! Edited by vintagedragfan

You guys blow me away with the scratchbuilding. Beautiful.

Mr Clayton- nice pants ! I can joke about it because I had a pair of striped jeans in 1970. I think it's great that you are helping him with all these pics for reference. We all appreciate it and look forward to the results. That rail was beautiful and can't wait to see it restored.

Top Notch Bill those valve covers are just AMAZING! sorry I didnt post earlier but I just couldnt find the words to say. I think this :blink: says it all

thanks Dave!

no need to apologise Romell, thats how I look all day bro! :blink: LOL

I am still blown away by this build. It is beautiful and all of the turned aluminum parts make me want to finally go and buy my mini lathe and mini end mill already....lol. Bill I have to ask and I may of once already but what brand and how big is your lathe you are using?

thanks so much Chris! means alot!IMG_0268-vi.jpg

heres what I got Chris, cheap litlle lathe like all of them, it is a 7x12

Awsome work on those machined parts, cheap lathe depends what you call cheap looks like it works really good to me, you could make parts for a few guys on the forum and cover the cost on that lathe very quickly, once again outstanding.