Model Cars Magazine Forum

California Charger F.E.D. update

Awsome work on those machined parts, cheap lathe depends what you call cheap looks like it works really good to me, you could make parts for a few guys on the forum and cover the cost on that lathe very quickly, once again outstanding.

thank you Robert, yea I have had numerous offers to make wheels for others, barely have time for my own stuff,LOL, I met Stacey David from Gearz he thought they were pretty cool, I told him I would make him a set, havent had the time

Can you give me the dimensions of the hub? What size bit did you use for the spoke holes?

Thanks,

Mike

Again... :blink:

Mike I dont know exactly what drill bit I used, they are so small, I use calipers and mike the wire, then use calipers to find a bit, remember I am a redneck machinist, LOL same with the hub

Romell you are funny! lol

Once again outstanding work, just to clear things up i wasn't trying to hint for you to make wheels for me it's way to much work just to do your own machining i know i have a vintage unimat lathe from the 1960's that i like to play with and make my own stuff it's fun but i am not even close to your skill level, can't wait to see what you make next.

Mike I dont know exactly what drill bit I used, they are so small, I use calipers and mike the wire, then use calipers to find a bit, remember I am a redneck machinist, LOL same with the hub

I guess you eyeball stuff like I do, I use calipers the same way. And that great work on the rims both front and back.

Once again outstanding work, just to clear things up i wasn't trying to hint for you to make wheels for me it's way to much work just to do your own machining i know i have a vintage unimat lathe from the 1960's that i like to play with and make my own stuff it's fun but i am not even close to your skill level, can't wait to see what you make next.

sure I understand Robert, you need to use that lathe of yours more!!

I guess you eyeball stuff like I do, I use calipers the same way. And that great work on the rims both front and back.

Thanks for posting your lathe Bill. Hey what size wire did you use for the spokes?? and am I correct for saying it looks like you used push pins or needles for the wire??

you are soooo right Romell! I do alot of eyeballin!

n.p. Chris, anything I can do to help, I started out using pins because they were similar to real spokes with the head on them, there just wasn't any way to get them all in, so I ended up using nickel pated wire, it is about .015 thick, they are actually too thick for scale but its the best I could come up with, I think they will be ok :blink: <--- see what I mean Rom? everyday! LOL

you are soooo right Romell! I do alot of eyeballin!

n.p. Chris, anything I can do to help, I started out using pins because they were similar to real spokes with the head on them, there just wasn't any way to get them all in, so I ended up using nickel pated wire, it is about .015 thick, they are actually too thick for scale but its the best I could come up with, I think they will be ok :blink: <--- see what I mean Rom? everyday! LOL

:blink:this is kool , its when you get like this :wacko: is when you need to worry LOL!!!! Thats the look on my face most of the time! :D

Bill how did you secure those thin wires to the rim ?

He hires a teeny tiny wheel smith (not to be confused with Will Smith) that does all the work. You should see his teeny tiny mechanics that work in his teeny tiny dino shop, it's just amazing I tell ya! :lol:

Holy Smokes! This is first time I clicked onthis thread. WOW! Excellent, excellent work. Some of the cleanest scratchbuilding around! And it's your first time?!. Even your chassis paint is clean and smooth. It's no wonder you caught the attention of the owner of the real car. Hats off to you, Bill.

Scott

<---------------floored.

Holy Smokes! This is first time I clicked onthis thread. WOW! Excellent, excellent work. Some of the cleanest scratchbuilding around! And it's your first time?!. Even your chassis paint is clean and smooth. It's no wonder you caught the attention of the owner of the real car. Hats off to you, Bill.

Scott

thanks fella's appreciate you looking at my progress!

got a little more work done this week end, had to dissasimble the engine and flatten the areas on the head where the filler necks go on and on the back of the heads where the overflow tubes come out, I didn't realize this until I got some more detailed pics from Jerry, so i figured I had better address it, here is the engine allmost complete, still have to add some fuel lines and touch up a couple things, made the overflow lines from aluminum wire and mde the fittings from hex styrene,, and used pro tech stainless braided line, from what I can see thats the only braided lines on this car, everything else is hard line or rubberIMG_0606-vi.jpg I must have been excited, before I knew it I had the headers on and realized I forgot to blue them!! do you think I should try and remove them and blue them or just leave it?IMG_0605-vi.jpg

Edited by vintagedragfan