Model Cars Magazine Forum

LUNCH TRUCKS--THE NEW RAGE--ARE YOU HUNGRY?

It's the new rage, and Frank's school bus thread inspired this one. I live a city (Miami) where the lunch trucks are revolutionizing the way people on the go eat. For a model builder, they are great eye candy.

If you've taken pictures of some in your city, share them here, or better yet, you can discuss some of the wildest or craziest (best) food you've had..

36372908.jpeg

food-trucks-miami.jpg

They are all freshly painted and fixed up. The idea is that competition is fierce, so how are you going to attract customers.

It's really a fun scene, and if you haven't checked it out, I highly recommend it!

Jefes.JPG

Many of them have become fixtures in South Beach and in the Design District . . . and I have had plenty of food out them. Great stuff, a fusion style cuisine that often times brings people and cultures together, something that otherwise would not happen.

The History channel show moderen marvels did a epsiode about lunch turcks, it was very interesting to watch, but watching it 1 am was not a good idea , it made me hungry :lol: .

Alot of the trucks were delivery trucks reto fitted into lunch trucks, but there are companys now that are making them for the ground up

Oh yeah, man, not only hungry, but also inspired to build something. The squarish nature of these trucks might be interesting to attempt a scratch-built project. Shoot, I think a John Teresi would probably make it look easy.

Harry, this summer I'm planning to take pictures of the fruit vendor trucks all over the city. There are lots of them all over the place, including lots of 70s Ford Trucks with V-shaped roofs on them . . . very cool.

We also called them "Roach Coaches". I remember one that stopped regulary at the garage I worked at, dude served green hot dogs! No yum there. Also used to let the guys run up a tab. Then my co-workers got wise to the dude, and started keeping track of what they were charging, and his tab was usually higher. Management sent him packing. I think the business relationship hit bottom when someone squirted mustard all over his truck!

big difference between from a full blown modern lunch truck with grills and deep fryers(as cranky posted) .. and a roach coach selling pre-prepared gut busters and cold drinks purchased weeks before.operated by shady people or illegals

Edited by scalenut

Taco trucks, roach coaches, gut wagons, we had them all on the construction jobs. Some even sold beer and cigarettes also. Maybe dope too, it wouldn't surprise me. One co-worker made a habit of eating from the gut wagon and got sick and missed two days work. Sometimes they wouldn't be too dependable and guys would miss out on food for break or lunch 'cause the wagon wouldn't show up. I'm glad those days are over for me.

My old man worked in a furniture packing plant in L.A., and one summer I worked with him and I used to love those trucks coming by, then again, I was a kid and my appetite was just starting to expand.

Those of you who are posting pictures, thank you, I think these are always going to inspire someone some time to build another great model and share it with us here.

The job I just recently left was with a county environmental enforcement agency that shared a building with the health department. The taco trucks had to come by periodically for a full inspection by the food inspectors, and would line up in the corner of our parking lot in the general vicinity where I parked once a week, every week. Most did not know where they were going, and many could not maneuver their vehicles becuase it was probably the only time they moved, even though regulations required them to return to 'home base' daily for cleaning and re-supplying. Weekly, there was something interfering with me getting parked and into my building on time. I hate taco trucks.

Jim, I think they are picking up a lot of fans in almost every major city. Something tells me too that it must be fairly easy to pass inspection and get approved to run such a truck.

Back when I was a kid, my old man and I sold ice cream out of a truck and I tell you the regulations and inspections and fees finally put us out of business.

Jim, I think they are picking up a lot of fans in almost every major city. Something tells me too that it must be fairly easy to pass inspection and get approved to run such a truck.

Back when I was a kid, my old man and I sold ice cream out of a truck and I tell you the regulations and inspections and fees finally put us out of business.

They have scrapple ice cream? Not sure If I want to try that stuff.