Model Cars Magazine Forum

STOLEN KITS / PACKAGE

HERE'S A TOPIC THAT I'M SURE HAS BEEN COVERED A TIME OR TWO ON HERE BEFORE..JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW I HAVE A CUSTOMER THAT'S KITS WERE STOLEN WHEN THE POSTAL SERVICE DROPPED THEM AT HIS DOOR IN AN APARTMENT COMPLEX..I DO NOT AT ALL DOUBT HIS WORD DUE TO HE IS A LONG STANDING CUSTOMER, AS WELL I HAD DELIVERY CONFIRMATION..HE ALSO SAID THIS IS THE SECOND TIME IT HAPPENED THAT WEEK..LONG STORY SHORT: IF YOU LIVE IN A LARGE COMPLEX WITH NO CAMERAS & PREFER TO USE THE LEAST EXPENSIVE SHIPPING MEANS. AGREE TO HAVE ANY PACKAGES THAT WILL NOT FIT IN YOUR BOX, LEFT AT YOUR LOCAL POST OFFICE & PICK THEM UP YOURSELF..THE JACKWAGON THAT STOLE THE PACKAGE PROBABLY DIDN'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT THEY EVEN WERE DUE TO THE FACT THAT IT WAS JUST A PARTS LOT, NOT A COMPLETE KIT..IF IT WAS LOST & NOT A CONFIRMED DELIVERY I WOULD HAVE REFUNDED HIS MONEY DUE TO IT BEING INSURED..THIEVES ARE JUST ONE OF THE LOWEST LIFE FORMS ON THE PLANET...ANY SUGGESTIONS OR COMMENTS ON THIS WOULD BE A BENEFIT TO THE BUYERS & SELLERS IN TIMES OF RAMPANT DISHONESTY LIKE WE LIVE IN NOWADAYS, SHEP...

Andy, if I am expecting a big shipment of kits or anything else that's worth something to me, I will have it held at the post office until I can swing by to pick it up.

My trouble has been with all my model magazine subscriptions getting "lost" before they arrive in my mail box, and those that DO arrive always look pretty beat up, as if everyone read them on their way to me.

Guest Sickfish

I think you've said what need's to be said, it's fairly clear :-) I'm from Australia & down here, whether it's a sign-for trackable item or not, If it doesn't fit in your post-box, they leave you a note ( standardized ) & let you know you gotta head down to the local P.O to pick it up.

Cheers Cliffo.

DITTO ON THAT SICKFISH..I'M ALWAYS A LITTLE HESITANT TO SELL OUT OF COUNTRY DUE TO TOO MANY VARIABLES..I DO HAVE CUSTOMERS IN AUSTRALIA, SWEDEN,& PUERTO RICO THAT HAVE WENT OFF WITHOUT A HITCH FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS NOW BUT, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT COULD HAPPEN...

If you are old enough to remember the COLUMBIA HOUSE record clubs, well, those things would get stolen all the time out of peoples' mail boxes, so the company started not sending to particular ZIP CODES . . . if you are absolutely concerned my advice is to get delivery confirmation and insurance and at leas buy a little peace of mind!

HI, As far as I know, most USPS carriers will not leave an insured package unless there is someone there to accept it. I think the carrier in on the hook if a insured package is stolen after it is left. I have a po box to avoid having boxes left at my door. You can also request the package to be held at the Post Office for pickup. Steve

Edited by route66modeler

Guest Sickfish

DITTO ON THAT SICKFISH..I'M ALWAYS A LITTLE HESITANT TO SELL OUT OF COUNTRY DUE TO TOO MANY VARIABLES..I DO HAVE CUSTOMERS IN AUSTRALIA, SWEDEN,& PUERTO RICO THAT HAVE WENT OFF WITHOUT A HITCH FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS NOW BUT, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT COULD HAPPEN...

Mate you won't ever have a problem with your Aussie customers.... Like I said, if it don't fit in the mailbox it don't get left on the doorstep... Goe's straight back to the PO & you gotta pick it up.. With your I.D ... No ID... No package.

I unfortunately live in a unit block, small, only 6 units, but the front access door is locked & there's no intercom or buzz-you-in system... So inevitably I have to go pick my packages up... That suits me just fine... The PO is 2mins away & I ALWAYS get my stuff :-)

Cheers Cliffo.

10-4 CLIFF & SICKFISH. FORGOT TO MENTION I HAVE 2 CUSTOMERS IN CANADA AS WELL AS AUSTRALIA THAT NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH..BEFORE I STARTED INSURING EVERYTHING I SENT $200.00 WORTH OF KITS TO A GUY THAT IS MY BEST CUSTOMER & IT WAS "LOST"..WE TRACKED IT TO IOWA WHERE IT HAD BEEN DAMAGED ACCORDING TO THE USPS..ABOUT 3 WEEKS LATER I GOT MY ORIGINAL LABEL FROM THE PACKAGE BACK WITH A LETTER FROM THEM TO DO A SEARCH REQUEST FOR THE ITEMS IN QUESTION.. (YEAH, I COMPENSATED MY CUSTOMER AS WELL). FILLED OUT FORMS THEY SENT ME & SENT BACK (OVER 2 MONTHS AGO)..AND AIN'T HEARD DOOKY BACK..LIKE NOBODY KNEW THAT WAS COMING!!!!

As a retired Employee of the USPS I can assure you the carrier is at fault. At no time should a package (i.e.piece of mail) be left unsecured. If arrangements haven't been previously made to leave packages in certain areas then said package suould be returned to the post office with a reciept left at the address.

PSForm_3849_front.jpg

I had two packages stolen from my front porch about two years ago. Both had delivery confirmation and one was insured. I filed a claim but was denied reimbursement by the USPS. Once the package is delivered, the USPS liability ends. End of story.

Models lost were an MPC 1970 Cougar HT kit and an AMT 1965 Chevelle Craftsman kit. A kind woman that lived about six miles from me found one of the empty shipping boxes in her front yard and contacted me. I replace both kits but to this day I am still PO'd about it. I now have all parcels delivered to my office, where someone is always there.

I would have to agree with Greg that the carrier is at fault. They are not to leave packages sitting at a person's door where they can easily be stolen. In Canada they leave a parcel notice and send the package to the local post office for pickup. I have noticed that they check ID when I go to pickup my packages.

Shep, time to go to your local Post Office and get them to start an investigation.

With all the postal cutbacks I'm affraid that this will only get worse. I mailed a money order to Freds model world only he never got it! Since closing the Lima Oh dist center everthing goes to Toledo. Now they want to cut that to 2 centers Cleveland and columbus

I've had packages left unannounced at my front door by both UPS and USPS.

I tend to come and go through my garage (it's attached to the house) and not by the front door. There have been times where I have found a package laying by my front door, completely soaked from rain... probably had been laying there for days! I had no idea they were even there!

UPDATE : CALLED MY POSTMASTER THIS MORNING ABOUT IT AGAIN & HE SAID : INVESTIGATE WHAT, PACKAGE WAS SCANNED @ RECIPIENTS DOOR..END OF INVESTIGATION..NOW I HAVE A CHOICE OF ASKING CUSTOMERS IF THEY WANT TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL $2.65 FOR A SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION..WICH MIGHT WORK, UNLESS SOMEBODY THAT LIVES IN THE HOUSEHOLD IS PISSED AT YOU..THANKS FOR EVERONE'S COMMENT, I GUESS THE ONLY WAY TO INSURE DELIVERIES IN THESE TIMES ARE A FACE-TO-FACE HAND-OFF BETWEEN SELLER & BUYER. YOU KNOW, LIKE THEY DO IN THE NFL..

The worst I've seen is UPS. I've seen them come up the steps to my place, leave the package at the door, without ever having knocked or rung the bell.

Idon't know if they had a change of policy or what but have seen both UPS and FedEx leave packages at houses across the street (and even on to me) without knocking on the door. 90% of the time there are people at home too!

Our regular mail man will leave a package at the door of our apartment building. (all doors ar inside a hallway) Both substitutes will not. Both have said they had packages disappear after delivery so they will no longer do it. Face to face delivery only!

Asked our regular about it and he said as long as there have been no incidents of packages being stolen he will keep leaving them at the door if no one is home(unless instructed otherwise), he does knock when he leaves one though.

He also said if just one gets stolen then he will stop leaving them at the door.

Last year locally UPS and FedEx both had people follow the trucks and snag packages left on porches. (around Christmas time)

They set up a sting and caught 6 people in it, all from one family! Recovered a lot of the stolen stuff most still unopened!

all shipping services have a bad apple in the basket. they dont knock, dont ring the door bell, leave packages at the door or they damage them. it's been in the news as of lately. do you think its making a change?? nah, i dont think so.

a fedex driver left a package at a neighbors house when they werent home. it was raining and it was a disney toy. it was a good size box. i swear, if my wife wouldn't have brought it in to our place, some scumbag would have taken it. they didnt get home till the next day. they were happy that we brought it into the house that they made cookies for us.