Model Cars Magazine Forum

I would greatly appreciate recommendations for interior black

Some of the most convincing black interiors that I've seen have been done with Tamiya NATO black, TS-63.

My only gripe about TS-63 NATO Black is that it has a dominant green hue to it. IMO it limits its use. If you mix and match various brands of blacks, even using acrylics, you get better results. Same goes for greys, browns and any other colors.

If you mix and match various brands of blacks, even using acrylics, you get better results. Same goes for greys, browns and any other colors.

Even all-black interiors have different shades of black. As Marc has suggested, you'll need different shades such as a semi-gloss for vinyl or leather seats, gloss black for hard plastics such as you'd find on some steering wheels, & flat black for shifter boots & carpet (assuming you don't flock it)

Testors semi-gloss has a slightly different sheen than Tamiya acrylic gloss, which gives you a couple choices. Humbrol Coal Black (#85) is a satin black, and the railroad guys have several shades of black from Floquil / Polly S / Polly Scale. If that's not enough, all of these can be augmented with Testors Flat, Semi-Gloss and Gloss sprays.

These same techniques apply to the engine bay as well, where there are a variety of shades of black.

Edited by Monty

Interiors are one of my favorite parts of a model, along with the body engine and chassis....... and the wheels. Anyway, this was done with SEM Landau Black vinyl dye...it's kind of pricey(IIRC $12-$14 a can) but I already had it lying around. Maybe try whatever vinyl paint they have at your local auto parts store. Different textures and sheens will really make an interior come alive, the dash pad on this was taped off and shot from a distance to get the textured finish. It's hard to see here but the plastic gauge cluster and around the shifter were brushed with a different clear to give those area's a shinier plastic appearance. Have fun with it and experiment.

69nova297.jpg

Edited by novadose71

I like ModelMasters Black Chrome It has a semi gloss finiish to it. If i don't have that then I use Testors Flat black and after the paint is dry I then rub my figer on the side of my nose then rub the black paint, The oil you get from rubbing your nose gives the paint a nice semi gloss look.

I recently was in a quick need for flat black and the hardware store closest to me only had Krylon's Ultra Flat Black in their Camo line... looks pretty good! I usually stay away from all-black interiors, but I think my next one will use some of the paints/methods mentioned here. :)

As the owner of a real 69 Camaro with a black interior, I can tell you that there are several different types of black used. The carpet should be sprayed flat black and then covered with black flocking (if you have some), the lower part of the dash is steel all the way across and should be gloss black. The top pad is vinyl and should be a semi gloss black. The door panels, seats and center console would be semi gloss as well. The headliner would be more of a flat black with a very slight hint of shine in some areas. You could paint these parts flat black and let them cure for several days and then rub them with your fingers. This will bring a shine to all the high points and give a bit of a weathered look.

When rubbing with your fingers as others have suggested...one thing that works nicely is to first rub your finger or fingers that you are going to use to rub the parts with on your forehead first. Most all of us have natural oils there that seem to impart a nice semigloss to the paint.

And another paint that works nicely for this purpose is Polly Scale Instrument Panel Black that comes in their WWII Interior Aircraft Colors paint set. The number is 205004.