Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **New update,15/1/18**

ShawnS

eeerrrr gob smacked stunned flabbergasted I have been biulding models for 35 years now and i thought that i was pritty good but now i just feel silly your skills have made me realize that im just a kit basher and not a modeler .I would shake your hand if i could

I remember these car as the cortina not granada and ive worked on few and i have to say your detail is bang on keep up the

super craftmanship we need another update :wub: :wub: :wub:

Doobie

Thanks guys.

Even though this build has been going since march 2011 the reception that it continues to get from modellers around the world still blows me away. I never set out to do anything other than a basic kerbside build with a few extra details here and there but everyones encouraging comments have spurred me on to test how far my own skills could possibly go and I have even surprised myself with what I can do. While sometimes I feel that I am just showing off I remind myself that I have learnt from many builders (that's you guys) over the course of the build and that I sure hope some guys are learning from me too.

I'm sure when I have finished this build I will reflect on how much I have evolved as a builder and I hope that you guys also keep challenging yourselves and passing on your tricks and tips to help yourself and others evolve too.

Thanks again. 'till next time

Cheers

ShawnS

I've only joined this forum today to ask about sth totally different and opened this thread by accident. Now, I'm reading it like a good book. The skill you're displaying here is mind-bending. How do you work out the dimensions? Engine, interior? Is it proportions only or you're using some othere reference? Oh, what putty is it, they yellow one? Cheers.

I just looked through all 14 pages of this build, and i didnt realize that you scratchbuilt the entire thing!! i dont know what else to say, that hasnt been said.....outstanding work shawn, its unreal what you have done with stryrene, beautiful work!

im still drooling, and my jaw is on the floor.......wow!

cheers

bryan

Thanks again guys.

There is only one problem that I can see shawn your next one has to be better than the last one !!!

Cool build where is the next update PLEASE

Doobie

I think I''l go back to the regular builds after this. Ironically I have so many projects that have stalled because I needed to scratch build parts but didn't know where to start. I think this build is going to be a bit of a confidence booster that will allow me to kick start those projects. As for the next update, well I work slowly so you'll just have to wait like everybody else :D .

I've only joined this forum today to ask about sth totally different and opened this thread by accident. Now, I'm reading it like a good book. The skill you're displaying here is mind-bending. How do you work out the dimensions? Engine, interior? Is it proportions only or you're using some othere reference? Oh, what putty is it, they yellow one? Cheers.

Welcome to the forum Martin. The only measurements that I have used have been the wheel base and track width. I also managed to get the dimensions for the bonnet and boot (hood and trunk) to help me figure out the width of the body. Everything else has been done by guess work and what my eyes tell me. I have had to remake quite a few parts because they were too big or too small, It's just a matter of making things in the right order. The putty I use is Tamiya polyester putty which is a two part putty.

Thanks for your interest

Cheers

ShawnS

Hi all. I have finally finished making all of the smaller details for the engine bay. I found some horns in my spares box and added some extra detail and made some mounting brackets out of strips of Coke can.

p1040569q.jpg

I made the air-con condenser the same way that I made the radiator. It gets mounted to the front and covers most of the radiator.

p1040568p.jpg

p1040557.jpg

The air-con drier bottle was the next thing that I needed to do so I made that too.

p1040564x.jpg

The emission regs at the time required a charcoal canister to catch and recycle excess fuel vapours. That will be plumbed into the fuel system later.

p1040565g.jpg

Here are all of the little pieces in place in the engine bay. The engine bay is finally finished... YAY.

p1040555z.jpg

I also noticed that the chassis rails lacked detail so I added some strips to the top and the bottom and some boltheads too.

Before

p1040546l.jpg

After

p1040572a.jpg

p1040573o.jpg

I have now turned my attention to finishing everything else in the front end of the car. Stil many hours of work left to do.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

ShawnS

You should either cast this masterwork or go to work for one of the major model companies. Your work is beyond words. :)

Second the motions!

Your ability puts most of the professional pattern-makers to shame...witness some of the spectacular (near) flops and proven flops of times recent and past.

If you can do this with only two major dimensions and some scaling, the model builders at the kit companies have no excuses.

Charlie Larkin