Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **New update,15/1/18**

ShawnS

I'm forever awestruck by how crisp and clean your work is, Shawn. Very inspiring!

Thanks for noticing John. I make a conscious effort to keep things clean and crisp as I go along as there is nothing worse than having a whole bunch of parts that need cleaning up all at once. It makes life a whole lot easier that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, here's a re-post of my last update after the loss of the previous one.

I wanted to get some painting done during a time of perfect painting conditions but I still needed to do some work on how the windows fit to the body so I decided to clean off one of the interior sets and do the whole interior for the curbside version.

Here is what I am aiming for. The pics aren't of the actual car I am modelling but a similar one. The colour in the pics is a little washed out so I went by memory of the 1:1.

SQtCTN.jpg
PNP9l9.jpg

I am using Vallejo paints for the first time. I bought several shades of brown/tan/beige and mixed up 3 shades of tan/beige for the interior.

de6vlT.jpg

The tub was painted and flocked and the speakers, floor mat and pedals added.

a0eAS0.jpg

The door cards were painted and were given a light wash of light brown.

72RKol.jpg

The centre console.

7DoHFS.jpg

The rear seat was painted and assorted belts and buckles were added. The stripes on the seats were individually masked and brush painted.

sKBJjv.jpg

The finished dash with photo etch keys in the ignition.

Wmf880.jpg

The front seats had all the gaps and dips filled before painting and 3 coats of off white flocking were added to replicate the sheep skin seat covers the 1:1 car had.

i5GtUs.jpg
zd4Kb2.jpg

To be continued....

Thanks Ben.

Hi guys,

Final update before Xmas.

Still tweaking the body so it's on to the trailer. I wanted to do it with a worn but not excessively corroded look. The 1:1 was never damaged beyond any chips and scratches so at least I didn't have to show any sheet metal damage and I could just keep it to creative paint work. Not having done any serious weathering on anything it was all uncharted territory for me but I love jumping in the deep end so here's how it went.

This is where it started a long time ago.
h2v1.jpg

Using these,
TQ3Bom.jpg
Some practice on a spoon to give me an idea of what to do.
nqjbwl.jpg
Then I got into it.
O0dI1V.jpg
vqiv17.jpg
I sprayed the AK worn effects fluid on the top and side surfaces and the heavy chipping fluid to the underside and after that was dry I mixed MRHobby gold acrylic with Windex window cleaner, 1 part of gold to 1 part Windex and shot it through the airbrush straight over the chipping fluid and the rust colour primer. I think it came out as a fairly accurate hammer finish gold.
tCJ3DL.jpg
3bF3Q4.jpg
I used these simple tools to slowly wear away the top layer of paint.
nGnniX.jpg
After the chipping was done it was time to hit it with several different rust colour washes and pigments.
Bc263n.jpg
6aeUYa.jpg

To be continued.....

Here's the end result.
sptYfX.jpg
yB3QIM.jpg
bX2RAQ.jpg
WAPkSp.jpg
xH0bpx.jpg
9L6Aqj.jpg
KWxkQY.jpg
pkhUGU.jpg
XYat18.jpg

I still need to do the wiring for the tail lights to the connector but that's no biggie. I'm fairly pleased with that for a first attempt at weathering as I had no real idea about what i was doing. I think it may need a little more dust and grime underneath though. I'll think about it.

Have a good Christmas guys,
Cheers

ShawnS

That trailer is a real piece of art. Weathering it so nicely as you did is not easy and scratchbuilding that trailer is even harder for sure. Fantastic work with the Falcon, too. I can't wait to see more of this, it's coming together so nicely.

I have a number of really "expensive" kits in my storage room --- many are comprised of well over 200 parts ---

NONE and I mean NONE of them even come close to the level of detail, quality and craftsmanship displayed here!!!!

This is truly a work of art!!!!

I have a number of really "expensive" kits in my storage room --- many are comprised of well over 200 parts ---

NONE and I mean NONE of them even come close to the level of detail, quality and craftsmanship displayed here!!!!

This is truly a work of art!!!!

Thanks guys, thank you Bill I'm trying my best B)

So that trailer is an example of "uncharted territory" and you "jumping in the deep end"? I jump in the same deep end and I drown, you win gold medals and set world records. Just plain not fair..

After 24 pages and nearly 500 replies to this absolutely brilliant build, I'm still in awe at your abilities...

Thank you for sharing this with us all.

Happy Holidays....

Howdy Iv read this thread about a dozen times now and never replied. Its not that im not blown away, because i am, i just couldn't decided what to say. so here it is!

OMFG this is amazing! your work is beyond belief!!!

And hopefully to boost you a little more, i would just like you to know that because of this thread and your skills, i decided i no longer wanted to wait for one of the big company's to kit my actual 1:1, 2011 dodge caliber, so i embarked on the quest of building it from scratch using your build as inspiration motivation and a lil teaching! and so far im doing pretty good if i do say so. So a big thank you to you and your skills! Keep up the good work!

Happy New Year!!