Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **New update,15/1/18**

ShawnS

Yikes! What an inspiring build Shawn. Your visualising skills, seeing a 3d item then breaking it down so you can make it from sheet styrene are absolutely amazing. It's almost as if you started with a real car and are just showing us pictures from a strip down. Patience is the greatest lesson here I think. Top work.

Thanks guys. Kelly you are right, patience is an important modelling tool. I have to remind myself that it's not a race all of the time.

What's the engine from?

Engine is bought to you by evergreen sheet and strip styrene,Tamiya thin cement and X-Acto blades. :lol:

Thanks again for your interest.

Cheers

ShawnS

What they all have been saying and wow wow and wow. And to me scratch building was cutting open body panels and scratching the things you would see inside. This is on a whole new level.. well planet, this thing is gonna be a total 1 off work of art that would be the prize of any collector, you are beyond amazing and yeah ill shut up now as I can't top the praise.............

Those mudflaps could be sold on their own and you could probably retire off of them, especially if you did them for other makes as well.

I thought the exact same thing! I'd buy a dozen or so... I could even pay in Australian currency, (I somehow aquired several dollars worth in a trade...) that is if it would go through the post from the USA without difficulty... <_<

Fascinating work, all of this! I am amazed at your level of workmanship and dedication!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I've been taking a break from any sort of construction work and have turned my attention to casting the interior. I had always intended on building two versions, my parents old car (red, manual, grey interior, full detail) and my grand parents car (beige, auto, tan interior, curbside) so I had to do some serious resin casting.

I started with the interior tub. As I had already cast one tub a while ago, all I had to do was make two more. One of them had 3 large air bubbles so I filled them with superglue mixed wih talc. I'll be using that as a spare.

p1040727k.jpg

Next up was the door cards. I forgot to take the crank handle off of the front door cards before I made the mould so I have to live with them as moulded in parts.

p1040710q.jpg

The dash and it's parts were next in line. The steering wheel was a pig of a thing to make a mould for but was easy to cast.

p1040714m.jpg

The consoles were fairly trouble free during the casting process.

p1040725b.jpg

Lot's of seat parts were required too. I had already made a mould for the front seats and head rests and had cast some seats earlier too but still had to make more.

p1040721.jpg

Here are the parts for three complete interiors, two to be built and one for spare parts if required.

p1040709g.jpg

The only other work that I had done recently was to spray the chassis with some primer and mark out the ares that require attention. I won't be casting the whole chassis just the centre section to add some detail to the curbside chassis that I am yet to get started on.

p1040728s.jpg

That's about all for this update. Things progress slowly with me but if I keep diggin' away at it one day I'll get it done.

Cheers

ShawnS

Thanks again for the kind words guys.

Looking at all those interior parts .. you call that "slow"???? !! :)

Well the two weeks it took to cast all of that stuff sure felt like forever. :P

I want one

badly

NOW

G

Me too Wayne . Me too. :lol: It's a pity that there's still alot more work to do.

Cheers

ShawnS

Absolutely incredible! One of the very few instances when the word 'Awesome' is entirely appropriate! :blink:

Amazing build, Shawn. Just stunning. :)

Makes gluing parts together look ... so ... insignificant. :huh:

Now that I've added you to my short list of Creative Idols of Modeling ... (Charlie Rowley, Mark D. Jones, Randy Ditton, Bill Geary, John Teresi, Chris Sobak and of course Jim Fernandez) ... there's only one thing left for me to do . . . Time to seal up the model room and seriously start that butterfly collecting hobby.

I'm so far out-leagued here. :mellow:

• 3 months later...