Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **New update,15/1/18**

ShawnS

Shawn,

I am writing, as along with a whole lot of modellers, we were all stunned at your effort. I was one who saw a whole new world of modelling open up to me, never ever thinking that I would have some genuine Australian vehicles in my collection. Like Shoey in Australia - (For those who don't know head over the ozmodelbuilders forum and check it out), this was more than just an update on scratch building this was really life changing. I started to develop a Holden Gemini, based purely on the fact that you had posted your effort.

Like another contributor here who is building an RC 1:10 Holden Sandman wagon, the creation of something from flat plastic is magic to me. Like John Teresi who on this forum produces miracles, in the form of models, makes things from nothing, these are skills and gifts that most of us don't have. But I can assure you that we get so so much from all of your posts, that is immeasurable. We gain inspiration, hope and desire to model, and tongue in cheek threaten to throw it all in and take up macrame, out of sheer frustration at your skills, but truly we all hope that some of your wisdom and ideas will rub off on us. 

That said, I understand when you lose motivation. I've had my materials packed away now for a couple of years, due to a range of issues, and problems in my life, but I itch every time I think about it, I desperately want to get my hand on plastic again. And I will as soon as my home life allows me to. Shawn, I hope that something in your life is bringing you joy, and that somewhere there is the desire to start this again, because so many modellers here and in Australia and around the world marvel at your talent and persistence. 

i just hope we get to see this project reach it's conclusion because truly it would be a great loss to the Australian and the rest of the modelling community if we didn't get to see your creations completed. Hope all is good. 

This has given me inspiration to try and scratch my 1983 Mercury Marquis Brougham. May be a bit easier as it's a Fox platform car and the Mustang kits should supply a chassis at least. ...

This thread does make you look at plastic in a whole new way.  I'd like to give this a try by building a hard top for a 1/18 scale MGB.

This thread does make you look at plastic in a whole new way.  I'd like to give this a try by building a hard top for a 1/18 scale MGB.

This has given me inspiration to try and scratch my 1983 Mercury Marquis Brougham. May be a bit easier as it's a Fox platform car and the Mustang kits should supply a chassis at least. This car...

Go for it guys you wont regret it.

Thanks for sticking around guys. Here's the deal.

When I started this project I wasn't in a very happy place in my life, there wasn't anything drastically wrong ( I've always had a roof over my head and food in my belly so I'm not complaining) it's just that I was in a very dark and unhappy mind set (definitely no thoughts of self harm and I don't ever use the 'D' word ). Over the course of my 43 years I have found that when I feel like that, I am at my absolute creative peak. To deal with it when I was young I would spend hours making all sorts of things with Lego, when I was a teen I would pick up a pencil and spend hours drawing and now I build models. The real problem is that I can not turn on my creative side like a switch no matter how many times I pick up the model or some styrene. The period between starting this build in 2011 and last doing anything on it in 2015 was creatively intense and I think I just burnt myself out. Even though I still dabble in the hobby with modifying 1:43 diecast models and drop by here to see what's happening there is still no sign of inspiration striking anytime soon. I guess I (we) will have to wait it out.

Thanks again,

CheersSS

Shawn, 

Funny you should say that, because I too have struggled with a range of things, even though from the outside it loos like I am doing fine. I came across your work, at the 2014 stage, and was totally blown away not by the construction, but by the level of possibilities it opened up for me. My mind literally expanded as a result, and for the first time in about 20 years, I felt hope.

Sounds corny to even say it, and that some people might look at that and say it's a bit extreme, but for me that was the experience, and I started to work on a similar thing. I had drive, purpose and it made the rest of my life more inspiring. I can't ever thank you enough for that hope. It came by chance and by luck, and you were just doing your thing, but it helped me to come good again, when I really didn't even know that I needed it. 

That said I can totally understand what you are talking about. I can see how you can look at this and be not inspired at all to work on it, and I can understand how that is for you. Even if you never pick it up again, you inspired many people, with hope, ideas and just the fact that it is possible. Even if it sits there, it is a legacy that I will be forever grateful for.

To those who want to try it, give it a go. Follow Shawn's process and you will be amazed at how well something can come together. Yes there are challenges, but if it was easy everyone would be doing it. But if you just start you will be amazed at what your hands can produce, and you might just inspire others. 

Thanks again Shawn.

Here is hoping some work continues. i understand totally about the whole creative/on-off switch thing. I've just stated getting out my kits and putting glue to parts and painting them. My trouble seems to stem from the fact that I must paint at work because I live in an apartment where I cannot paint. So I'm limited to spray cans and brush work. You cannot set up an airbrush, mix paint, prep body, spray body and then break down an airbrush for cleaning in ten minutes break time...damned slave driving boss expects me to actually do work during shop hours...how unreasonable can he be?

• 2 months later...

Hi guys.

One day a month and a half ago I was looking through some cupboards trying to find something when I came across a box containing the third body, chassis and parts that I cast a couple of years ago. All of a sudden a switch flicked in my head and I commenced an attempt to bust my slump. I wanted to build a Falcon that didn't de-value any of the work that I had done on the other two and that I didn't have an emotional connection to so if something went wrong it wouldn't be a major issue. I also figured that I would use it as a practice run to iron out any bugs that may occur during assembly. I also wanted to keep it simple Out Of Box style with minimal extra added detail. So armed with that I made a choice to build a model that was not only box stock but a model of a base model spec car.

So there will now be 3 Falcons;

1.A base model box stock OOB no extra detail.

2.The beige model with added detail and a trailer.

3.The super detail version.

Lets start with the body. Plain white with black outs. Still a little work left to do on it with some more black needed around where the window rubbers should be and some BMF on the trims over the windows.

8m3Irt.jpg

I also finally got around to polishing the beige body and painting the blackouts after it had been sitting in a cupboard since 2015.

8jg43O.jpg
RIPvCY.jpg

I also did the bumpers.

U0obD3.jpg

The new model spec dictated a new interior spec to differentiate it from the other two. I also opted for a front bench seat.

BvVhix.jpg

and some new base model steel wheels.

T97J5u.jpg

I couldn't resist doing some mock ups. I used the wheels and interior from the beige car because neither the wheels or interior were ready yet.

GFXeCQ.jpg
TXmftV.jpg

n6YCyU.jpg
YOPjQR.jpg

Still plenty of work to do on both cars but I'm feeling like I getting close to finding my groove again and I'm very happy with how both builds are looking after being unsure for the last 6 years.

Future updates will be patchy as most of the work will be minor stuff for a while but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for your support.

Cheers

ShawnS

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again,

Work continues on the white version. I am using this most recent build as a test run to hone some techniques that I haven't used before and I finally figured out a way to do the rough texture that the 1:1 had on the underside. I used Tamiya liquid primer with a couple of old brushes that I had trimmed the bristles closer to the ferrule (the metal bit) to make the bristles stiffer. I just dipped the brush in the primer and dabbed it repeatedly on the model until I got the finish that I required. I did a test on a spare piece of chassis that I had lying around in my scrap box and I was happy to continue onto the build.

xTigDp.jpg

Pn65rv.jpg

First I had to mask the areas that I didn't want extra primer on.

5o9SrQ.jpg

UGDD3A.jpg

Once the masking was removed I painted the front chassis rails white then I sprayed the diff and the fuel tank semi gloss black and once they were dry I masked them off and hit the rest with matt black. When that was all sorted I started with the weathering using some of the products that I bought when I did the trailer a couple of years ago.

CS0GzL.jpg

I was aiming to depict a low mileage car from a dry dusty area so no big wads of mud and no massive oil stains.

HZmqYj.jpg

after all of the extra parts were added and weathered.

LU2Cqo.jpg
bihU4A.jpg
P4Rmh2.jpg
WQyber.jpg

To be continued..

The wheel backs got the treatment too.

AmJwEI.jpg

The wheels themselves were also finished. Before,

27MLg0.jpg

after.  The blackouts and the silver centre are all decals.

236Rrv.jpg

I painted the interior too.

3HGIhj.jpg

I gave the seats a wash of slightly darker brown but I am still unsure about how they look.

C2gF50.jpg

Obviously there is still a little bit of work to do but it's very close to being finished (I hope).

Thanks for viewing

Cheers,

ShawnS

• 1 month later...