Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **New update,15/1/18**

ShawnS

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys thanks again. Time for another update. I have been working on a few things that I needed to finish so I could move on to new areas of the build. First up is the exhaust manifold. I started building this part when I was working on the engine but it went into the 'Too Hard' basket.

I based the part on exhausts from AMTs 67 Mustang.

p1030388k.jpg

p1030391t.jpg

It was just supposed to be a cut and shut job but AMT's grey plastic doesn't seem to like being cut and glued and looses strength around the joints. So I resin cast the part and modified it from there. I added flanges and some boltheads and made a heat shield. I also made the hose that goes from the heat sheild to the air cleaner snorkel from fine wire and plumbers tape.

p1040615.jpg

p1040614f.jpg

p1040639z.jpg

I also started work on the exhaust system.

p1040642e.jpg

While I was working on the engine I noticed that I hadn't made the dipstick yet so i made one with some 0.5mm brass tube and a piece of 0.3mm wire. I bent the end of the dipstick around a drill bit for the finger handle.

p1040620b.jpg

p1040619xc.jpg

That's all for now but as usual work will continue and updates will too.

Thatnks again.

Cheers

ShawnS

just went true this topic with a bole of hot steaming soup ....well i forgot to eat my soup several times its cold now !

this is just insane and top of the ladder stuff ..

really love this thread and because you with your skills post good pics and explanations you def. help other people grow in thier hobbt and get awsome inspiration

this thread is a nother > omg thanx for the fact internet exists < moment

I just want to know how slender your fingers are!? I mean, no matter how hard I try to get that kind of detail, I just can not get it. I just spent time trying to do headers for a rod I am working on, and I can not get that kind of detail. PLUS, I have to use glasses AND the magnified light get in and see that stuff! LOL

I have never seen the level of detail in a totally scratch built vehicle. I have always wanted to scratchbuild a model but would never have the skills on your level, im sure it has been said here before but you are a scratch building genius with such a level of scratch building skills that you would never need a kit to build from again. You have totally inspired me to at least give a hand with more scratch building on every build, ill never be able to do the entire model but at least push for more in the future builds. Keep up the awesome work and can not wait to see what you do with the paint on this one.

Thanks again.

I'm still amazed at the reception that this gets everytime I post an update. I also always get a little buzz when someone says that I am inspiring them to give scratchbuilding a go, It's easy to get caught up in the mindset that forums can be more of a competition than a community so if someone learns from my posts it gives me reason to continue and share even more. So with that I give you the mudflaps. I didn't really need to make them at this stage but as I had an idea about how to do it I couldn't help myself. Here is a pic of the real thing.

flapi.jpg

To kick off I made the ribbed area first by sandwiching thin strips of evergreen with wider strips inbetween.

p1040588pi.jpg

I then made a resin cast of that part so I didn't have to make another one if I made too many mistakes. I cut out a square of that ribbed part and put it into a strip of scrap styrene that was cut to the width of the mudflaps. I then chiseled out an oval shape in the ribbed area.

p1040594a.jpg

I got these stick-on metal badges from an Australian model website. They are made by a Chinese company called Easy Decal. I have had them for ages but could never figure out a use for them.

p1040592u.jpg

I stuck one of the smaller Ford logos onto the mudflap and shot it with primer.

p1040595pg.jpg

p1040596p.jpg

I then cast them in resin that I added a drop of black pigment to for effect.

p1040628zxb.jpg

It's something that I would have loved to have made with Photoetch but as I'm not setup for that yet I'll have to settle for styrene and resin.

Thank you again for your kind comments .

Cheers

ShawnS

Thank you gents.

Those mudflaps could be sold on their own and you could probably retire off of them, especially if you did them for other makes as well.

Very, very cool.

Charlie Larkin

:lol: Looks like I've found my true calling. new website scalemudflaps.com coming soon.

Hi Shawn great progress again

By the way

Do you have a link on those decals.

I googled butt i didnt find them.

Hi Johan, I got them from http://www.bnamodelworld.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&inc_subcat=1&search_in_description=0&keyword=%25&manufacturers_id=169&page=16 It's the only place that I have seen them.

Cheers

ShawnS

And fantastic work continues-those Mud Flaps look very good. I can't believe that you made those from plastic and in this scale!

These scratchbuilding projects just make me want to get sheet styrene and try to make '25 Ford T Altered body, but I guess it would end up as mess. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. The last month has been a little bit of a bad luck stretch which led to several parts breaking and having to be rebuilt so I was away from the bench for a week or two to reset my modelling mojo. When I restarted I just wanted to do something that wasn't too stressfull so I turned to starting work on the plumbing. Here is a pic of the real thing.

post-9268-0-45207700-1353233184_thumb.jp

There are a lot of hoses but I'll probably just do the main ones with a few minor vacuum hoses here and there. I also made the throttle cable and linkages for the carby as well as the clutch cable.

p1040701q.jpg

I made the throttle spring from a guitar string and mounted it on a bracket made from a Coke can and some PE parts.

p1040685c.jpg

It's mounted on some PE linkages on the back on the carby.

p1040687y.jpg

p1040693g.jpg

p1040691g.jpg

I drilled out the distributor cap and added a coil. You can see how busy the left side of the engine is.

p1040697m.jpg

p1040690d.jpg

p1040680t.jpg

There are plenty of hoses and cables running in all directions and I am still yet to add the alternator and A/c unit as well as the A/c hoses, fuel lines and battery cables. The engine bay will be full by the time I'm finished.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

ShawnS