Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **New update,15/1/18**

ShawnS

Thanks guys.

Your work is flat out amazing. Thanks for taking the time time to share the in-progress details. I'll use this build as building techniques reference material for years to come.

Thanks it's no probs. I love to read things like that, I try to share the knowledge when I can. It's good to see that others are taking something from this build too.

It's time for the most recent update. Last week was all about gettng the thing sitting on it's 4 wheels. The first thing that I did was to cast the wheels and sort out which tyres I wanted to use. The wheels were originally Ford 12 slots but I drilled the slots out and put some evergreen rod to make the rings. The centre hub is scratchbuilt with aftermarket nuts.The tyres come from an old Tamiya 1980's Nissan Leopard TR-X.

p1040054i.jpg

I then made the upper suspension arms. I took the original Mustang kit part, opened up the centre, carved out the sides to make the wings and added a few evergreen parts for effect.

p1040022t.jpg

For the lower arms I cut the part from the Mustang kit setup and cut and reshaped it, added new sides and resin cast it as well as the upper arms.

p1040002n.jpg

p1040023z.jpg

p1040038m.jpg

The steering knuckles were from AMT's 67 Mercury. I reshaped them and relocated the stubs and removed the thick locating pins and replaced them with bits of rod.

p1040046s.jpg

I also made some spring cradles.

p1040050t.jpg

All of the parts ready for assembly

p1040047k.jpg

and assembled

p1040067i.jpg

Next post.. On all four wheels...

p1040080e.jpg

p1040079se.jpg

p1040078s.jpg

p1040070v.jpg

It doesn't sit too bad. A little bit of fine tuning and I'll be happier.

That's it for now. Thanks again for your continued interest. If there is anything you need to know, feel free to ask.

Cheers

ShawnS

Wow this is amazing scratchbuilding. The chassis looks good and you did great job with those wheels and tires too. Body looks very sharp too, keep it going. I'm waiting for more, and taking notes. :P

Your work is so far beyond professional that I don't have a word for it! This reminds me of the thread on developing the Moebious Hudson masters except that your work is better. Any model company would be proud to have you developing new product for them!

I agree. are you a designer/model master by trade?

I agree. are you a designer/model master by trade?

Negative, I don't have any background in designing/manufacturing etc. I'm just a guy with a hobby and lots of ideas in his head. Besides they do it all with computers these days don't they? This model making/building thing is old school. ^_^

Thanks guys , It's good to see some more Aussies on the forum following along with my seemingly neverending little project.

This week I got a little more done to the front suspension. I made the brackets for the radius rods and mated them to the chassis.

p1040096q.jpg

p1040097ys.jpg

I also made the mounting brackets for the sway bar.

p1040098cl.jpg

The radius rods were glued into position onto the suspension arms and I added a threaded rod and nuts from T2M. The radius rod rubbers were cut from a piece of sprue.

p1040107b.jpg

I also made some sections to dress up the underside of the front crossmember

p1040102m.jpg

p1040109q.jpg

I made a new sway bar from aluminium rod and added some brackets.

p1040121q.jpg

p1040124t.jpg

I added protech boltheads to the sway bar brackets and T2M bolts to the suspension arms.

p1040126r.jpg

That's it for now. This week I will start work on the steering linkages. There is still some more small details to go into the area but nothing that's super important yet.

Thanks again for all your kind comments.

Cheers

ShawnS

• 4 weeks later...

Hi fellow builders. It's been a month since my last update so I think I should post something new. I have been working on the steering setup. I went through a lot of evergreen rod in my many attempts to get it right. I also spent some time fine tuning the parts that I had already made to make sure the work that I did on the steering fitted right. I started by removing the stabiliser bar and making a thicker one. I made it in 3 pieces for easy installation during final assembly.

p1040191en.jpg

Then I made the steering box from everegreen rod and strip.

p1040155g.jpg

p1040157h.jpg

The mounting bracket.

p1040159kf.jpg

p1040160m.jpg

The steering rods were made from various size evergreen rods. Here are the completed units with the pitman and idler arms.

p1040174z.jpg

I added some boltheads after I glued it all together.

p1040192u.jpg

In position.

p1040188q.jpg

p1040189h.jpg

p1040190l.jpg

That's all for now. I have moved on to making the brakes and I am almost finished them so I will update you on those when I am done.

Thanks for dropping by and having a look.

Cheers

ShawnS