Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Ford Torino E/Stock Eliminator

W-409

Here is an other Stocker on my bench right now. I bought Monogram Pro Modeler Series '70 Torino from Stockholm, Sweden last year. Now I'm starting to build it as E/Stocker.

I haven't done too much yet, but rear slicks are from that Monogram kit. I had to make some room for Centerline wheels, so I removed some material from them, to make wheels fit. Those Centerline wheels are casted by Marko Piironen, and they are really great quality. Front tires are from my Parts Box, those what came with the kit, didn't just look good.

I've also done some sanding for that engine, and it's ready for primering now. Maybe I can primer it later today, but let's see that later. This kit is great quality, so I hope this will turn out good.

P2090255.jpg

P2090256.jpg

P2090254.jpg

P2090253.jpg

P2090252.jpg

This car brings back sweet memories for me, Its the first real car (1:1) that I ever worked on I helped my cousin pull the tranny out and put a new one in his. I was 12 and he was 16 talk about an all day event but we got the job done. Anyway Im looking forward to seeing what you have instore for this build .

Not to usurp Daves reply, but those fronts originate from the AMT 59 El Camino issue from the late 80's early 90's and in actuallity are Fentons ..... I am building a replica of a Buddy of mines 55 Chev for him and those were what he had on the front of it soit was nice to see them replicated in scale.

Thanks Guys!

Didn't know about the wheels, thanks for correcting my mistake! They were sold as Centerlines, but luckily I know, what they are really. What Dave said on his first post, that center cap will stay there, since those wheels are resin and I don't wan't to do too big modifications to them. But "drill the alternate bolt pattern into the wheels between the lug nuts" is something, what I should try. So I hope I can post some progress pictures soon, stay tuned.

Thanks, Brad!

Speaking of rims, this Torino kit is to have the best looking Cragars SS rims. Niko, can you post a picture of them please? I'd like to see if they're as sharp as I've heard.

Yeah, sure. Here you go:

P2100277.jpg

I have to say, that those Cragar wheels look really good to me. Don't know yet, where I'm going to use them but maybe in some Street Car. :)

Just don't drill the front wheels as the Fentons did not have the dual bolt pattern like The Super Tricks did. Note : the earlier ST did not have the dual bolt pattern.

Re those Cragar SS's in the Torino kit, they are wrong for the Ford, yes they are nice but those are in fact for the small bolt circle "A" body platform Chryslers .. Duster, Dart, Cuda, Valint and, re the Cuda, that is pre 1970 before it switch to the "E" body platform. So if you use those Cragars in the Torino kit on anything other than what I mentioned, it would be wrong.

Alan

That is quite simple actually ......... First thing is, when you are a car guy, as in one to one not models, and have been all your life and have had many cars along with parts wheels etc. as well as a huge resource of vintage magazines, you acquire knowledge. Do a little research and look at some Cragar SS wheels, including the small bolt circle "A" body Mopar Cragar SS wheels , you will see a noticable difference in them, then look at the scale Cragar SS in the Torino kit.........

I am not trying to be smug, just trying to inform so those interested in details like that can build a better replica ...

Alan

please excuse the spelling mistakes lol

I want to add one more exclusion, the 68 Hemi Darts and Cudas used the larger bolt circle so even though they are "A" body cars the small bolt circle wheels will not fit ...... here is a pic of a Hemi Dart and a 340 Dart .......... The Cragar SS is a two pc. wheel with a steel rim and an aluminum center section (spokes) This is where the difference is ....

post-1213-0-20691800-1328901741_thumb.jp

post-1213-0-15980800-1328901768_thumb.jp

And your point is ? The pics you posted are just standard Cragars may or may not be unilugs (fit various bolt circles except the 5 on 4) Like the pic of my wheel I posted above ......... The A Body mopars have a 5 on 4" bolt circle and have a totally unique center casting from all the other Cragar SS's so they look different and will not fit any other application . The point I was making was the Cragars that come in the Revell 70 Torino would be incorrect on any model build other than an A body Mopar build. I care about details like that in my builds others may not and they can build what they like. I have seen intake manifolds glued on top of blowers, cylinder heads glued upside down, Mopar pistol grip shifters in backwards, Ford intakes on Chev motors big block Chev headers on small blocks and visa versa, the list goes on ........ Just trying to share a little info for those interested in advancing their skill level and wanting to produce a more accurate model. Like I said, details like that matter to me and many others ..... if others don't care in details that is fine too but they do not have to get offended , not the intent here.

Alan :)

Edited by Alan

That's great information, Alan! Thanks. Now I know, that those can be used to A Body Mopar, but not to Cuda and Dart. Actually I care about the details, in these builds. When I build somekind of fast and not so detailed build, then it doesn't matter. But especially in these Stockers, I care about the details.

Hi Niko

Glad to hear you got something out of it. I am always learning something new. I really enjoy seeing the progress photos of a project more so that the finished model as there are many details you would not see if it were not for those photos ... Keep them coming

Alan