Revell 1/24 '77 Chevy Van

156 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's officially shown on Revell's website, so hopefully this kit'll be showing up soon:

http://www.revell.co...ks/85-7221.html

85-7221-lg.jpg

Edited by Casey

Posted · Report post

I figure it will be at the special program shops by the 25th or so and elsewhere in early March..

Posted · Report post

I like the decals, but it needs better wheels to go with them!

Posted · Report post

I have this kit from the Monogram days . The grille is to die for as it's molded open ! Also, it features a "Correct for year " dashboard too. I'm not thrilled as to the Molded wheel Flares , but these can be trimmed off. I have to agree, the Chevrolet Rally wheels just seem out of place on this truck . Ed Shaver

Posted · Report post

without a set of Showpipes it just looks naked.....

Posted · Report post

It looks OK, but I won't be buying it as it don't look right to me and I don't like those flairs molded on to the fenderwells.

I'll stick to and go with buying the newly released 73 Chevy Dirty Donny van...

Posted · Report post

these vans are polarized it seems... some folks (like me) LOVE them with their '70's flair (and flares) and MISS the "showboat" trim parts...... what is the design of this kit's rendition of the front suspension? is it easy to lower the front and get a good rake on it?

Posted · Report post

Its got the ribs on the roof too, but they keep putting the rallys that would never fit the van, but iam glad there bringing it out.

Posted · Report post

This is based on the Monogram tooling?

Posted · Report post

This is based on the Monogram tooling?

It IS the Monogram 1/24 scale tooling.

Posted · Report post

When i get mine to put in my van collection, iam building a the black and gold van now, but i would be glad to trade the rallys for the tubines. And no problem Casey,

Posted · Report post

Actually, I was thinking that the 5 slot wheels from the old gasser style '55 Chevy would look pretty sweet on this van :)

Posted · Report post

these vans are polarized it seems... some folks (like me) LOVE them with their '70's flair (and flares) and MISS the "showboat" trim parts...... what is the design of this kit's rendition of the front suspension? is it easy to lower the front and get a good rake on it?

IIRC, the front end is already pretty heavily slammed for a stock body van!

Posted · Report post

My favorite version from that basic tooling, is this one:

$(KGrHqQOKjwE5)59VTp(BOjO7UHiiQ~~_12.JPG

Posted · Report post

Recently had the chance to sample an earlier version of this kit against the new AMT reissue, and I have to say I like this one just a little bit better than the AMT version. I always thought the Monogram van looked a little 'bloated' compared to the AMT kit, but it looks correct upon seeing it up close again. And if the body in this reissue is still molded as well as in the earlier version I looked at, that would give it yet another edge against the AMT kit.

Painted green over white, and some bubble windows in back, this would bear an uncanny resemblance to my neighbor's old van- fender flares, Rally wheels and all!

Posted · Report post

I agree with you, Luc. The 4x4 version has a great stance and realistic tires.

Posted · Report post

I have never had this kit, so I will probably get it this time. I like Rally wheels but probably would not put them on this van. Why not put the earlier 4x4 '77 Monogram Chevy pickup wheels on it? That is more realistic.

Posted · Report post

Realistic, perhaps, but not accurate. Yes, the truck rally rims were made in 5- and 6-bolt configurations; the Monogram pickup ones are 6-bolt and this van would require 5-bolt. The stock steel wheels in the MPC '88 Silverado would be perfect for this van. And, they're available in resin!

PC193286.jpg

I might actually use these for my version of the van... that is, if I can manage to successfully shave down those flares...

Posted · Report post

Doesn't somebody make a LT-1 C9P Caprice wheels? The holes are round instead of rectangular

but are a good bit closer than the MPC/AMT Chevy 1500 wheels.

My favorite version from that basic tooling, is this one:

$(KGrHqQOKjwE5)59VTp(BOjO7UHiiQ~~_12.JPG

Funny you posted that Luc, I thought that this body would work nicely with one of those Losi Micro Trail Truck :)

Recently had the chance to sample an earlier version of this kit against the new AMT reissue, and I have to say I like this one just a little bit better than the AMT version. I always thought the Monogram van looked a little 'bloated' compared to the AMT kit, but it looks correct upon seeing it up close again. And if the body in this reissue is still molded as well as in the earlier version I looked at, that would give it yet another edge against the AMT kit.

Painted green over white, and some bubble windows in back, this would bear an uncanny resemblance to my neighbor's old van- fender flares, Rally wheels and all!

I like this one as much as I do the AMT kit, although I'm kinda curious about how the drip rails are doing on this one too, they were looking kinda weak when I saw the build up at I-Hobby. They weren't as bad as the railings on the AMT kit

Posted · Report post

Doesn't somebody make a LT-1 C9P Caprice wheels? The holes are round instead of rectangular

but are a good bit closer than the MPC/AMT Chevy 1500 wheels.

I think the Modelhaus may make those wheels, Joe: http://modelhaus.com...?c=4041&p=68424

What, you have to have a scale-correct 5-on-5 bolt pattern on your van? :P:D

Posted · Report post

I think the Modelhaus may make those wheels, Joe: http://modelhaus.com/index.php?c=4041&p=68424

What, you have to have a sacle-correct 5-on-5 bolt pattern on your van? :P:D

Maybe, otherwise I'd get the ones off the FWD Impala and modify those, although those would work on the MPC/AMT Daytona Turbo's as they aren't too far off the 15" steelies on the later model V-6 cars....or might work for a Daytona that has the late model minivan brakes swapped onto it :P

Posted · Report post

Actually there's no five lug wheel that would be correct for this van since it's a 30 series. :P The Turbine wheels with the eight lugs are more correct than anything.

Posted · Report post

Actually there's no five lug wheel that would be correct for this van since it's a 30 series. :P The Turbine wheels with the eight lugs are more correct than anything.

Sanding the badging off the front fenders will go a long way to fixing that little problem ;)

Posted · Report post

Sanding the badging off the front fenders will go a long way to fixing that little problem ;)

Or use hubcaps that cover the lugnuts.

Posted · Report post

On second thought, that should be be a 5 lug anyway, probably only a G10 van to begin with.

My above suggestion would be a good "fix" for the AMT van though ;)