Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ed Roth's '56 Ford Pick-up by Revell

Austin T

It's early '60's vintage tooling- that kit's biggest downfalls are the misshapen fenders and the somewhat fiddly fit of the hinged parts (the hood, doors, and tailgate all open). The engine and chassis are very nicely done, but for me the body kind of kills it.

The 'Hot Rod' magazine version from the early '90's and the red stock kit from the mid '90's are more or less the same kit- it looks like this one has the small back window from the earlier versions, not the wraparound rear window the later stock kit has. Chopping it might be a bit involved, on account of the opening doors, but certainly nothing impossible.

Looking at the box art pic Revell is showing, it has strange hubcaps it looks like....IIRC, the red stock kit had steelies w/ dog dish hubcaps...I wonder if this version has those also. I have an old builtup original issue one that was in a group of kits I bought about 20 years ago, but haven't had any of the later issues..

Looking at the box art pic Revell is showing, it has strange hubcaps it looks like....IIRC, the red stock kit had steelies w/ dog dish hubcaps...I wonder if this version has those also. I have an old builtup original issue one that was in a group of kits I bought about 20 years ago, but haven't had any of the later issues..

You're right- the red stock kit had the stock wheels and caps, and some tall, skinny Firestones from very worn tooling. I think about the only non-stock part in that particular issue was a dropped front axle.

You're right- the red stock kit had the stock wheels and caps, and some tall, skinny Firestones from very worn tooling. I think about the only non-stock part in that particular issue was a dropped front axle.

The question is, does the Ed Roth version have those parts as well?

The question is, does the Ed Roth version have those parts as well?

Anyone? If it does, I might be just a bit more inclined to pick one of these up! :D

For that, I will not even speculate... I've never personally owned the Roth version, and it has been several years since I have poked around in one. All I will say for sure it it's 99% the stock kit- the rolling stock, tonneau, and and decal sheet being the most noteworthy differences. Although this kit does sport the small back window from the earlier kits (such as the Hot Rod issue) while the red stock kit had the wraparound rear window.

Anyone? If it does, I might be just a bit more inclined to pick one of these up! :D

For that, I will not even speculate... I've never personally owned the Roth version, and it has been several years since I have poked around in one. All I will say for sure it it's 99% the stock kit- the rolling stock, tonneau, and and decal sheet being the most noteworthy differences. Although this kit does sport the small back window from the earlier kits (such as the Hot Rod issue) while the red stock kit had the wraparound rear window.

Interesting...I have no interest in the Roth aspect but a semi-stock '56 would be neat...the stock wheels would interest me. I wasn't aware of the rear window differences between issues.

If it were me , I would have Kiboshed the kit on the body alone . I actually have owned these trucks and I still have a 53. This kit begs for someone who can do just the fenders as they alone ruin an otherwise classic ride .

Now on Chopping a top on a 56, you would need to cut the rear as a section and then the front likewise . On an actual truck, the center needs some material in the middle . If not , the posts won't exactly line up well. I havent chopped a Revell model so I don't know what the results would be .However, I have done a 1-1 56............

Ed Shaver

The fenders are the weakest part of the kit- they're a bit too round in front, and just plain way off in back. You CAN graft on the better looking front fenders from the AMT '53 Trophy Series, you'll need to rework the '53 hood (which also looks better) quite a bit as well. Since the hood emblems are separate, you can use them on the AMT hood. The rear fenders are pretty much a simple matter of subsituting the AMT parts for the Revell parts. Not the easiest swap in the world overall, but the resulting model will look a lot better.

The roof on this has never looked right to me, either- especially the big back window version. But fixing the fenders goes a long way to improving the look.

• 1 year later...

And I had no idea it had been reissued so many times, in some really weird versions.

That's one of the first kits I actually did a job on that I was kinda proud of...the original version, many many (many) moons ago. Painted it Testors dark blue rattlecan enamel, and got a second place in a local hobby shop contest.

Concept-wise , that '56 F-100 was ahead of its time .

The box art always intrigued me ; the first one I ever bought was the early 70's reissue (the blue one) . I don't recall ever finishing it ; probably gave it to my neighbour .

I tried again when the Big Ten was issued ; failed miserably again .

By the time of the Street Demons release (circa 1983) , I was again tempted by its box art . It just looked so awesome ! That was the last time I bought one , as I was so turned off by its overkill application of chrome plating (a Revell and MPC issue at the time !) , and by its raked bed , that I just boxed it up and forgot about it ... until the 1987 earthquake .

When the 1995-ish issue was restored to its 1962 origins ( with , at last , those stock wheels with hub caps) made it tough for me to pass on trying the kit again !

Still apprehensive !

Thanks for the cool retro review , Casey :)

Casey, I built the original issue . Built it stock too. Yes, I'm not going to say it was anywhere an easy task . The same issues that plagued that truck continue to be the kit's downfalls today . I never could accept the "Bug Eyed" grille or the way the top of the windshield was cut in . Look, I've owned these trucks as 1-1's . I still own a 53 .

For what it's worth to one here , THIS Truck was the first Ford since 1950 to offer a "Factory " Chrome grille too.

Since you have the 1962 Box , did you notice the tooling similarities between the Mickey Thompson kit engines and the Optional Pontiac engine in that issue ? I think they may be the same tooling .

did you notice the tooling similarities between the Mickey Thompson kit engines and the Optional Pontiac engine in that issue ? I think they may be the same tooling .

They do look similar, especially the semi-circular ends/bottom of the intake manifold. I just now noticed the surfboard which was included with the original issue kit, but it looks like it disappeared after that?

Wasn't there something about the rear fenders which was "off", too?

At some point in the cycle the rear window was changed. The blue truck with the BBS wheels has a small back window while the 1995 issue with the red truck has a big back window. I think that issue also has both the stock and drop front axles in it, but only stock wheels.

This is one truck that should be re-done. This tool is very tired and the last version I saw, the Roth Shot Truck, looked like chewed bubble gum!

I have the Original, the Classics from the mids 70's, the BIg Ten Ford, Roth Shop and one of the stock style red re-issues. All of them a pain!