Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are You Familiar with Michael Paul Smith's Work?

Yes, I've seen his stuff before...amazing work, but I feel there is one aspect missing...Life! People. Every photo is wonderfully composed, nice die cast models, wonderful buildings, water or snow, etc...lighting...but not one single person is visible, even when cars are in position on the street as if they were in traffic...I know that is probably one of the hardest details to put in, but it is an unfortunate omission to my eyes. That is the only down side that I can see. That said, though, I think his work is fantastic!

I could spend the rest of my life just learning the FANTASTIC photography angles this man posseses. That alone is what makes Mr Smith's work so realistic . I have had the site for quite some time and I will never ever achieve the level of expertise of this man .

I feel there is one aspect missing...Life! People.

I can see your point, but I think we can all agree that it's much harder to fool the eye with a scale figure. A lot of great modelers post photos of their builds here that have people asking, "Is that a real car?", but I can't recall ever seeing a photograph of a small scale figure that made me wonder if it was real person. Even Ken Hamilton's incredible dioramas rarely have figures.

Having said that, Smith's work is pretty amazing and I'd like to see him take on that challenge.

Apart from DM and FM I think I recognize one or two 59 Chevys from WCPD as well.

Anyway they all really come to life and look more realistic in this diorama than anywhere else I've seen them.

A little weathering here and there wouldn't go amiss - maybe you and he should join forces.

Hey Gang,

Here is a link to the CBS feature on his work, he talks in the video about why he doesn't feature people in his displays, I think his work is just stunning and very creative. Hope you enjoy as much as I did.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6344947n&tag=contentMain;contentBody.

http://www.flickr.com//photos/24796741@N05/sets/72157604247242338/show/with/2346008881/

Here is a link I have as well to his photos.

Mike

Hey Gang,

First thanks to the good Doctor for posting for us, and second, if you want to research more about Michael's work, his small town diorama is called Elgin Park, I think the use of black and white gives things a completely different and historical perspective, that I for one, enjoy. This guy has really got some skills!!

Mike

Edited by bigmikevee

As far as I understand it, what he does is shoot the models either in front of scale backdrops that he built, or he positions the models in the foreground and shoots at a certain angle to capture the models and a real background, like trees, etc. In other words, they're straight photos... no Photoshop trickery.

If that's his "M.O.," then I can see why he doesn't add people. I don't buy his "because I want you to imagine yourself in the image" story for one second! The real reason there are no people in his shots is because there's no way you can detail 1/24 scale figures to pass for "real" in a photo. And adding Photoshopped people into the photos would violate his "these are 'real' photos" rule. So no people.

But even so... the guy has talent, no doubt.

This second link shoes the work of someone else who is really crazy about models and backdrops and photographs.

Harry, remember that the 1/35th scale model builders can REALLY paint figures. I've seen some dioramas with figures in it that are just amazing, and very realistic.

Like everything else, painting figures is an art form hard to master.

This second link shoes the work of someone else who is really crazy about models and backdrops and photographs.

Harry, remember that the 1/35th scale model builders can REALLY paint figures. I've seen some dioramas with figures in it that are just amazing, and very realistic.

Like everything else, painting figures is an art form hard to master.

I defy you to show me any photo of any painted and detailed scale figure that I can't tell is real or not. No matter how well done, it's just not possible. Sure, a figure can be well done and very "realistic" in every way, but it would never pass as a real person in a photo.