Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Car Shopping List

OK, so I've started a few longer term projects. The stuff needed for these cars I order or buy when I need it. But the good doctor is having is three day extravaganza next weekend. I'd like to have everything I'll need by next Thursday.

So here's my question; What do you include for a shopping list when starting a new project? I have my paint and glue. I have sanding sticks and putty. I have BMF on my list. Other suggestions?

Tom, I always start out that way too, and then I think gee, I wonder if they have anything I could use over the THE MODEL GARAGE . . . and then next you know, the list grows to include some after market stuff, or you take a list to the next show and the list gets BIGGER! The list is always getting bigger, so then you realize you just have to plunge in with what you've got and see where you go from there.

I say for a 3-Day build, I'd keep it as simple as possible.

Tom, the other place I would suggest you can look through for goodies is MODEL ROUND UP, they have a few after market suppliers there.

If you are looking for something in particular on your list and can't find it, then I say post it to the forum in hopes someone can answer it for you.

Well, I'm taking a trip to Phil's in Pinellas Park this afternoon. I still haven't been there. The local Hobby Town has a little sign say they had a HUGE selection of Detail Master stuff. They had to LOOK for it. Found it behind the counter in a small bag... >:-(

Swiftster it sounds like your from lakeland Fl from your description of hobbytown. I am in Orlando(Windermere). phils is ok but a little high priced. Google Ralphs hobbies he is right down the street from phils and has a lot of out of production cars. I agree there isn't much in florida. Me and my brother build and collect heavy commercial and trying to find OOP kits of those is like pulling teeth. Pm me I would like to here from another local builder

DANG IT!!! :P Jason, I walked out the door before you posted. You are right about the kit prices, but I still spent $50 in that place. I bought a Kurtis Midget racer, a pin drill and the last two 'Model Cars' mags. I know I could have got the model for less, but it's also the first one I saw down here. The only real reason to stop in Phil's will be to pick up a new magazine if I'm out that way. I'll make a note about Ralph's.

I also stopped in HobbyTown for a new knife and blades (couldn't find my old ones yet) and some BMF. Phil's didn't have any and neither does HT. I THINK Hobby Lobby may have some. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Florida hobby shops suck when it comes to model cars. I'll need to make a shopping list for my next trip north. And I'll have to get used to buying via the internet. At least sales taxes disappear. I DID get a $5 off coupon on my next $25 purchase <_< .

If buying a case of one particular kit (the Black Window Chevy) will places cut you a discount? I'm planning a dealership project and I'll need a lot of '57 Chevy's for the lot :wacko: . There are enough resin kits to make a few variances so they are not all the same.

Edited by Swifster