Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome & chrome trim related questions

Hello professionals!

I'm a new here and to car collecting. I had experience on collecting airplanes but it was a long time ago.. in childhood. Now I do more serious stuff. I love Cadillac classics and my first project is 1959 Cadillac Biarritz Convertible. I want to make it perfectly done. I bought lots of tools, paints, etc. So far this is my first project and I don't know a lot of stuff. Actually chrome parts, trim, etc. And my first question is.. how to hide white pieces of plastic after filing? I made shape very smooth but I don't know how to mask. What do you do? Is it possible to match the manufacturer chrome?

Thank you for all answers!

Here's my situation:

post-9344-0-41347000-1329019764_thumb.jp

If you aren't going to repaint the whole piece of chrome, your best bet is either chrome paint (Testors enamel or a silver sharpie) or a small piece of Bare Metal Foil. You can strip the entire bumper, sand mold lines and other imperfections and repaint with a chrome paint such as Alclad II Chrome. You can search the site here or google info on Alclad II.

If you have the budget and the time, the first choice, by far, would be having the piece rechromed. Nothing the average modeler can do matches the brilliance of real chrome plating. Check with Chrome Tech USA, and expect a 4 week turnaround.

The next choice, and something you can do yourself, is Alclad II Chrome. The back bumper on this '55 Chevy is Alclad, as are the wheels on this race car:

use2-1.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

There have been several posts here on how to use Alclad, so do a search. The parts need to be almost perfect for it to look right, though, and remember....spray with LOW pressure. A bit of a learning curve, but it's the next best thing to real chrome.

Next in line would be a touch up using BMF. This '61 Ford bumper had a hideous mold line right in the side, so I sanded it down, polished it, and BMF'd just the side. It looks acceptable, but if you really get close, you can see the seam....

IMG_1191.jpg

Last, and certainly least, is any brand of "chrome" paint. If you use it, be prepared for the part to look....well, like it was painted with chrome paint. If it's touching up a tiny sprue attachment point, you might get away with it, but for anything bigger, NOT recommended.