Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 Ford - update 03/07/12

vwrabbit

While working on my vintage Vette and McLaren, I wanted to do something more out of the box type build w/some mild add-ons. I always seem to dive too deep and never get a build done, so this one is to keep the itch scratched while chugging away at those other builds that never seem to end...

So here we have what someday I'd love to build in my own garage w/o having to do any major cutting, at least none w/the body. The stock grille was cut, part that was cut out of the middle filled in at the top and a custom insert was found for the center.

Sorry for the poor pics, my lighting was off as I was in a hurry.

DSC_3073.jpg

DSC_3075.jpg

DSC_3074.jpg

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by vwrabbit

Thanks guys! I'd like to hear a few more opinions. on the grille center before I divulge the secret. :-) One hint, I had to take something apart. I also plan on putting a small bumperette with lights on the ends in front of that center piece to hide it a little/help blend things in. Forget where it might have come from. Interior won't be too special.

Tim

Nice work, Tim. Dig that color, interference Lime Gold?

I always liked the stock kit supplied wheels out of this kit as the best part of the kit.

BTW, I know what that grille part came from ;) I took one apart before and it is still in my spares box waiting for a purpose. Your purpose looks right on point!

The color is Folk Art acrylic, metallic peridot. Supposed to be a little more green, but it doesn't look bad. I didn't spray a primer, just mixed some Future in to spray it. Came out more gold.

For those curious, the grille insert is from an old electric shaver. :-) Look around your house or think twoce before you throw things away. May be useful later for modeling.

And thanks Andy!

Tim

I like the look your going for. The red wheels really look nice with the body color.

Interesting technique mixing the Future with the acrylics - does that help it harden? Fine Scale Magazine had an article about spraying the "folk" acrylics, but when I priced out all the products they combined to thin and harden the paints, I decided to skip it.

Erik, thanks! And the paint seems to be pretty hardy when mixed with Future. I can't scratch it with a fingernail.

DanB, thanks! And this is an old AMT/Matchbox release. George Barris Cruisin USA version.

Tim

Edited by vwrabbit

Thanks guys! Working on the interior and chassis tonight. Small setback which I knew I would hit, but one of these days I'll learn. If you look at the top of the back seat, you'll see I put down an undercoat of black. Should have done this originally behind all the other peridot color, but tried the peridot first. Still learning 25 years later. This undercoat makes the peridot more gold, than green like the rest.

DSC_3201.jpg

DSC_3202.jpg

DSC_3203.jpg

Tim